Diablo IMMORTAL

rittchard
rittchard
I guess this was announced at Blizzcon:

https://diabloimmortal.com/en-us/

I haven't looked in too much detail but it seems cool to me. The first article I saw, though, said there was a bunch of bad backlash because of this, not sure why. Is it because it wasn't for PC/console?

Comments

• EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    rittchard wrote: »
    I haven't looked in too much detail but it seems cool to me. The first article I saw, though, said there was a bunch of bad backlash because of this, not sure why. Is it because it wasn't for PC/console?

Yup, pretty much. There was quite a bit of pent up hype leading up to the announcement since it was the first big thing of Blizzcon, and the fact that it wasn't Diablo 4 or a D3 expansion didn't sit right with the audience who is generally there as PC and console gamers.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    After being the stepchild that barely gets a mention every year, I'm happy when Diablo gets ANY attention.
  • MonkeyFinger
    MonkeyFinger
    GT Member
    I thought this was an interesting opinion piece on the subject.
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    I thought this was an interesting opinion piece on the subject.

While all of that is true, I think the bigger issue was that the people at that reveal event paid something like $100 to be there, were hyped up due to Blizzard's own, previously proven, marketing machine, and had the rug pulled out from under them.

Just watch this guy ask what was clearly on everyone's mind:

"Is this an out of season April Fool's joke?"

The presenters' reaction to this and other questions (like the "Do you guys have phones?" response in the opinion piece) show that Blizzard was utterly blindsided by this reaction, and that shows how wide the disconnect is for them.

Essentially, they had a massive drumroll at a prestigious event, whetted everyone's appetite for Blizzard magic, and then revealed an alternate costume for Soldier 76.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Here's my take: if they can do a good job with it, I don't really care what platform it's on. And this is coming from a hardcore Diablo TWO fan. If it turns out to be just like one of those other insipid Diablo clones on mobile with some Diablo lore slapped on, I will also be disappointed. I'll be cautiously optimistic for the moment and hope that Blizzard can bring their brand of magic to the mobile genre and create a kind of compromise that everyone will enjoy.

I'm not sure why people were so surprised or outraged, the fact is the Diablo 3 design had always been drifting toward more simplistic gameplay well suited for a console, which is why it works so well on the new Switch version (see other thread). Moving it towards mobile is kind of the next logical progression.

Am I disappointed? Sure, I would have loved if they moved the opposite direction toward a more hardcore Diablo 1/2 type of gameplay model best suited for PC, but the economics clearly don't shift that way any more.
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member edited November 7
    I'm in the same boat, for the most part. I'll be happy to play it if it's good and up to Blizzard's standards of excellence.

I suspect most people who paid to attend the reveal might feel the same if this thing hadn't been given the weight of importance that an actual new franchise or sequel would have received.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    I just zipped through most of an hour long gameplay video and honestly it looks pretty good. It looked very similar to D3 for the most part, with some variations on controls suitable for the touch interface. The inventory was not active yet, but loot was dropping and presumably auto-equipped. I read a number of early impressions saying it didn't feel like it had the "soul" of Diablo 3, which I'm not sure I understand or agree with. Then again, I'd probably argue D3 didn't have the "soul" of Diablo 2 lol.

Anyway you can be the judge yourself:

• rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    OK this video gives some better context. Plus this guy (Lord Fluffy) is pretty attractive for a Diablo geek.