[TV] Survivor 2018: David vs Goliath

rittchard
rittchard
Unfortunately I missed the first few minutes, so a few key things like why the heck puny Mike White is a "goliath" were lost on me.

I started getting into the show more in the second half but I still have relatively few first impressions. For the most part I liked the David team much more than the Goliath one. Maybe it was deliberately edited to make you more sympathetic, I don't know. I liked the two nerds, the Asian MMA girl, and the only guy who's name I remembered, Nick. I go back and forth on whether I thought he was cute, but I'll give him a hot for the moment. No one else quite ringing a bell at the moment except for the guy that injured his back.

On the Goliaths, I was really distracted because half the people didn't seem very Goliath-y. Again, missing the beginning probably was a problem. I was totally confused about Mike White, I just assumed he was a David. Then I kept wondering what I'd actually seen him in before, and got him confused with Mike Judge (and Mark Judge). Even more distracting was that they somehow got the "Filthy Lady" from Fear the Walking Dead on their side. Every time she was in it I couldn't stop thinking she was going to kill someone, turn them into a zombie on a stick, and write shit on their faces. I noticed at least two hunks of beefcake that I enjoyed, and again, the rest were a blur. It really doesn't seem fair to have all the physically stronger folks are together but maybe it will make for good TV.

Just based on the first ep I think I prefer this season's cast over the last, but really it's way too early to tell.

Comments

• Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member edited September 28
    I guess the whole notion of the Goliath team is that they are alpha personality successful in some aspect of their lives. It's not necessarily because of physical prowess, although clearly the pro wrestler is there because of his physical success. Amazing Race Mike is on that team because he's been a long time "successful" Hollywood writer.

I tend to gravitate to underdogs so the David team is more interesting to me. This season's format will work as long as the challenges are not heavily skewed towards physical tasks but the nature of the game is that it's physical so I don't have much hope that the David team will gain the upper hand before the merge happens. On the Goliath team, the SWAT guy openly flirting with the pretty blonde is going to be his undoing. Showmances always blow up in the couple's face and I don't believe for one minute that those two, especially SWAT guy can keep it discreet.

The super nerdy guy on the David team is someone to watch. He's weird, quirky and super nerdy so everyone will underestimate him, including his own team, which will allow him to kind of skate by in the background for quite a while. No one is going to take him seriously as a threat, especially physically. I do like the purple haired, lesbian from Puerto Rico (her words). She seems pretty sharp, although the preview for next episode suggests she might be in trouble, but you know how they love to misdirect with editing.

I felt bad for the guy who got airlifted out. When they came back from commercial break straight to him on a stretcher, it was a WTF just happened moment to me. For second I thought I might have skipped my DVR recording ahead somehow. Reading up online about what happened, evidently the seas were really rough that day with 15-20 foot waves (yikes). The boat taking them back to camp hit a wave, went up, and as it came down, the guy was airborne for second and landed really hard, compressing a couple of vertebrae in his back. He said he doesn't actually remember any of what was shown in the episode. He actually stayed at the Ponderosa ranch for several weeks doing physical therapy and eventually fully recovered. That's good to know since it looked pretty bad when he was on the beach being evacuated.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Nice to hear the details about the airlift guy, thanks. Yeah the way it was weirdly edited I thought just for a second he might die or be paralyzed or something.

I'm definitely rooting for the nerdy guy, he reminds me so much of this really nice guy I worked with a few years ago. He's also kind of like a less annoying version of Cochrane, so that might work to his advantage.

In terms of the challenges, as much as the physical portions demand attention, generally in this early stage, the puzzles are equalizers. I actually thought they'd catch up with the puzzle but I guess those other guys were pretty good too. It's always hard to tell who is actually really good at the puzzles and who is just lucky.

I almost wish they'd do away with the conventional hidden immunity idol now as it seems like a major distraction. As soon as you start looking you have a target on your back, and yet I can't imagine it's not always tempting to be looking. Then if everyone starts looking it's just kind of weird. Having them as part of the game definitely serves as a hidden power balance, but I wish there was some other way to do it.
  • Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    There is a new twist this season though. Apparently, there is an anti-idol in play so if someone finds it and plays it during tribal, it can neutralize an immunity idol that gets played. Kind of an interesting twist, but it feels like a lot has to go right for it to work properly. My problem with the hidden immunity idol is that they make it seem far too easy for these people to find them. There has to be more of a challenge to find these things instead of letting the players go running around in the jungle on a random scavenger hunt.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    There is a new twist this season though. Apparently, there is an anti-idol in play so if someone finds it and plays it during tribal, it can neutralize an immunity idol that gets played. Kind of an interesting twist, but it feels like a lot has to go right for it to work properly. My problem with the hidden immunity idol is that they make it seem far too easy for these people to find them. There has to be more of a challenge to find these things instead of letting the players go running around in the jungle on a random scavenger hunt.

Yeah it sure seems that way, especially some of the seasons where the same guy would find them like 2 or 3 times. And why is it always the men who find them lol? It was interesting I think this last episode one of the people actually said it was a lot harder than it looked on TV from the way it's edited. Probably a lot of fans have made the same comment/complaint. I think we tend to forget they are there 24/7 and each episode we only see a tiny percentage of how their time is spent. It seemed like in seasons past you kind of got that grindy day-to-day feel more, but the editing is more stream-lined now to make the show move along and focus on all the game/strategy elements moreso than the survival part.

I don't remember if anything exciting happened last week. Oh yeah, I guess (surprise!) the Davids lost again and then they blindsided one of the non-descript blond girls. I did like that she kind of got her comeuppance after making some comment like "if you wait til tribal to start playing it's too late" or whatever. I hope this isn't another of those seasons where the one tribe just keeps bleeding and then they are forced to mix the tribes early or divide them into 3 or whatever, but it seems like it might be heading down that path.
  • Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member edited October 9
    I have a hard time believing that the David tribe will not be completely owned by the Goliath tribe in challenges. Sure they're smart but the are clearly out-classed in physical challenges.

Jess, the blonde, really got what was coming to her and it was classic seeing that smug look turn to shock when her name kept getting read. First tribal of the season and there's a classic blindside right away.

For the Goliaths it's only a matter of time before SWAT guy's showmance gets broken up. Seems like everyone is on to them and the pretty blonde already has the target on her back. It doesn't help that SWAT guy has a self proclaimed weakness for pretty girls. He's not even doing a good job of hiding his puppy dog eyes at the blonde. Too bad. With some self discipline, he has the potential to go far. The older black woman is living on borrowed time as well. She is too much of a stubborn ego-maniac to see that everyone really hates her.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Well what do you know, the producers actually found a challenge that the Davids could win. Unfortunately I think they already started planning for the worst and are already doing the tribe mix up next week. I really don't like the change coming so quickly because it kind of defeats the entire theme/premise. A couple more episodes of Davids getting crushed couldn't have been too bad, could it?

Speaking of which, I'll have to ask whether the Mason-Dixon thing is cute or annoying. I'm admittedly blinded by my nerd/bromance crush so I'm guessing it's probably irritating other people. Also I thought Christian was super tight with Gabby but he didn't seem to flinch when his buddy wanted to throw her under the bus. Maybe I confused that conversation though.

Anyway, the shift over to the Goliaths had a few interesting moments. All edits made it appear The Filthy Lady was going home (especially when they give you the captioning on her offering to do the puzzle before she fails it), but clearly she knew something we didn't because she was acting far more reasonable than ever before at tribal. And her adversary (who originally tried to act like her only ally) was flipping out for seemingly no reason. Again, this was probably a product of the editing so that it would appear to be a blindside. But given the way he was ranting it seemed like he already knew. Then again, I thought he had an idol or did I get that confused? Either way, it never pays to get too self righteous in this game and the Filthy Lady lives on to torment us at least one more week.

• rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Gah my DVR went bonkers and I missed most of the episode. I saw the final "blindside" but didn't have much perspective on it. Did they divide the tribe 3 ways or something? Why were there only 5 on one tribe?
  • Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    So, at the beginning, the two tribes met for what they assumed was an immunity challenge. Before Jeff could even say anything, the Vietnamese MMA girl told everyone she had to quit the game because her knee was injured. I think this was apparent at the end of last week's episode. She was limping around pretty badly after the immunity challenge.

After this Jeff declared that they were shuffling tribes and there were now three tribes of mixed David/Goliath members. Somehow the super nerd guy and the nerd girl managed to stay on the same tribe along with three alpha male Goliath guys (the wrestler, the SWAT guy, and one other). One person, the truck driver from the Davids, was automatically sent to exile island where he found the immunity idol nullifier. He would return to the tribe that goes to tribal council and essentially replace whoever got voted out.

So the tribe that lost and went to tribal consisted of three Goliaths and two Davids. So the three Goliaths were already in an alliance and had agreed to vote out the cowboy girl. But leading up to tribal, the two Davids kept working on the one Goliath guy telling him he had to make a big move right away. The editing was a little chaotic and confusing, but essentially, the one Goliath guy turned on the two Goliath girls and voted with the two Davids and thus blindsided one of the girls, and boy was she PISSED. Tribal was hilarious with people whispering into other people's ear in front of everyone.

Personally, I think the guy flipped on his alliance way too early. There's still three tribes and a lot of people in the game and there really was no strategic benefit to turning on his alliance at that point. He's now aligned himself with the Davids which automatically makes him an outsider and low person on the totem pole.

Here's a more detailed account of what happened if you are curious:

https://www.realitytvworld.com/news/survivor-david-vs-goliath-recap-bi-nguyen-quits-and-natalia-azoqa-voted-out-after-tribal-swap-24776.php
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Thx Jimmy! I guess I missed quite a bit, grrrr.

I agree that Alec flipping didn't make a lot of sense, unless maybe he already didn't like Natalia from before? While I understand the whole "big moves" and "building your resume" thing, it seems like people get too caught up in it too early. Especially in a 3 tribe situation, the chance that the people will make it to the jury AND remember these early game maneuvers is pretty slim, especially people that weren't clear threats to begin with.
  • Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    Yeah the lead up to exile showed that Natalia was being aggressively bossy about who the Goliath three should vote for. Natalia was hell bent on voting for Elizabeth the cowboy girl. Alec wanted to vote Davie out. The third girl, whose name escapes me, was going to vote for whoever Natalia said, but there was a scene where Natalia was super bitchy in the way she told the other girl to vote for Elizabeth. This all took place in front of Alec, and that pretty much gave him the excuse to proceed with the blindside. He really did not like Natalia even though they were in an alliance.

If you can find the episode on a streaming service, you should watch the last 15 minutes or so, after the immunity challenge was done. Tribal council was pretty entertaining.