Fallout 76

Comments

• Isgrimnur
    Isgrimnur
    GT Member
    Fallout Wiki
    Vault 76 is one of the Vault-Tec vaults shown on the computer in the Citadel.

The Vault-Tec terminal in the Citadel lists Vault 76 as a "control" vault, with 500 occupants. The vault was designed to open 20 years after a nuclear war, and was among the seventeen known control vaults, meaning that it was used as a baseline to compare to experimental vaults.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Yeah, as mentioned in the trailers thread I'm definitely excited for this one and to see the possible new take on the world based on 70's culture instead of retro 50's.
  • Isgrimnur
    Isgrimnur
    GT Member edited May 30
    There's speculation this is going to be more settlement/shelter than a typical RPG. But until the reveal on the 10th or leaks, it's just speculation.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Isgrimnur wrote: »
    There's speculation this is going to be more settlement/shelter than a typical RPG. But until the reveal on the 10th or leaks, it's just speculation.

Yeah, according to Kotaku "sources say it is an online survival game", which would super bum me out. I'm so tired of all the survival games over the last several years, and I thought the building was the worst part of Fallout 4.

https://kotaku.com/sources-fallout-76-is-an-online-survival-rpg-1826425333
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    Yeah, I left Fallout 4 unplayed for a long time because of the building. Just no interest. I've gone back and ignored it, and I've been having more fun, but that aspect is just not for me.
  • MonkeyFinger
    MonkeyFinger
    GT Member
    I seem to recall only doing the building you were forced to do for the tutorial? I completely ignored it afterwards. This news bums me out. :'(
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    So far, that does seem to be the case, but there's a sense of missing something when I ignore it.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    I enjoyed Fallout 3, but everything since has just felt like nothing more than a copy of that exact same game with a new skin. I lost interest pretty quickly in both New Vegas and FO4 because it all just felt like MOTS.

Like others, anything with online survival and building aspects do absolutely nothing for me, so I'm likely out on this one too.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    xQlkrga.jpg
  • Isgrimnur
    Isgrimnur
    GT Member
    Conan meets Fallout with the possibility of nuking your opponents. With a corrupted VATS:
    It will be present, Todd Howard said in an interview with Geoff Keighley, but not quite as we've seen it previously.

"It's real-time," Howard said. "It doesn't slow time. But it lets you target and pick parts and all of that, but it's in real-time. It still works great. It's different, obviously, because it's real-time, but the basics of it, which are, 'I can't really—I'm not that good of a twitch shooter' … You can kind of picture how it works. Like, I'm not as good as lining up someone and getting a head shot, but I've made my character good at VATS, and now I can do that."
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    That sounds like a decent compromise. I thought that the Crackdown games did a pretty good job with that for a controller. Just hold the left trigger to lock on, and flick the right stick to pick the body part.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Maybe not entirely surprising given how things are going these days, but this won't be launching on Steam either in beta or full launch:

https://kotaku.com/fallout-76-isnt-launching-on-steam-1828145203

I'm kind of getting sick of how every company once again thinks they need their own launchers, but I suppose giving up 30% to Valve is just too much for them.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    It is a bit silly though. Why does it need a launcher rather than just an. exe? I mean why do I need another app running 24/7 when it really only needs to run when I start the game? I already have enough stuff running.
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    The launcher does have legitimate purpose for patching. The exe patching itself is... challenging. The launcher checks the version, downloads and installs the patch then launches the game. It only needs to always be running if you want your games to always be patched. I have games on most all platforms, but steam is the only platform that is actually running on my computer 24/7. I open and close origin and uplay and others as needed.
  • naednek
    naednek
    GT Moderator
    everytime I see this thread I keep thinking this is about Interstate 76, then I cry
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    naednek wrote: »
    everytime I see this thread I keep thinking this is about Interstate 76, then I cry

You and me both, man. :s
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    oh here's a thread! Did anyone try this yet? My box is still unopened.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    rittchard wrote: »

After the general beta sentiment that it was more of a building/survival game than a Fallout game I would prefer, I decided to pass. The base building and "survival" aspects of Fallout 4 were my least favorite parts of that game, so to focus on it and lose all of the characters that made the game interesting seemed like two big negatives.

And really, a Bethesda game where I can't mod the size of my inventory (or carrying weight) is a game I know will frustrate the hell out of me.
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    EngineNo9 wrote: »
    rittchard wrote: »

After the general beta sentiment that it was more of a building/survival game than a Fallout game I would prefer, I decided to pass. The base building and "survival" aspects of Fallout 4 were my least favorite parts of that game, so to focus on it and lose all of the characters that made the game interesting seemed like two big negatives.

And really, a Bethesda game where I can't mod the size of my inventory (or carrying weight) is a game I know will frustrate the hell out of me.

Yeah, that's me as well. This just sounded all around like the exact opposite of what I want in a Fallout game. Plus they added annoying real people to the mix. Who the hell wants that in a post-apocalyptic setting?
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    I played this a little over the weekend. Mixed impressions. Generally I'm not a fan of survival type games, especially when you have to find water and boil it and crap like that. But for some reason it didn't bother me much in this game. There seemed to be enough stuff to get you started, and enough rewards to make sure it wasn't consuming the entire game. The opening portion just felt like a regular-ish RPG, following breadcrumbs, grabbing whatever you can find, finding clues, etc.

As things continued, I was enjoying exploring around and picking stuff up, doing some minor "crafting" - the interface is really simple to manage, including a nice "scrap all junk" option. Then out of nowhere I hear a weird voice saying "wanna team up?" or something like that. It totally freaked me out lol. I was kind of paralyzed because I don't have a mic setup, and I didn't see any sort of chat interface, and I couldn't remember how to do emotes. So I just stood there like an idiot. Finally the guy gave up and left me some water, which was pretty cool. But I couldn't even figure out how to thank him.

In my next session, I continued on and again it was fairly fun. Every once in a while a real person would appear and it was kind of jarring. Also sometimes an "event" would start and I guess that's meant to bring people together to do things like a public quest.

All in all I find myself really confused by this game. Was the intention to create a real MMORPG? It seems like it kind of was... like some sort of Fallout/Elder Scrolls hybrid? But there are really few people around and as far as I can tell there was no global chat or even local chat so it kind of makes that aspect difficult. Maybe the idea was to have people really talking but I don't know if I'm ready for that lol.

I can see why the response has been kind of tepid for the game here. I think there's some good potential here, but I'm not quite sure I understand the overall vision. I like that there seems to be a ton of variety in how you can build your character, but I'm uncertain how or where it's supposed to lead. Am I just supposed to keep following the main quest and then do side quests the way I would a single player game? Or am I working towards some sort of "endgame" content like a regular MMORPG? Honestly I just don't get it. I actually have the guide book, and it just seems like a single player game filled with quest locations and things like that.
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    Despite initial doubts, I have been playing it since release and am enjoying it. I'm level 51. Level 50 is when you get your last SPECIAL point so I guess it is kind of end game, but I am still doing main quest things with no idea when it is all over.

I have played the whole thing solo. A few times I have coincidentally helped and been helped by other players. You can resurrect downed players with a Stimpak. PvP is consensual. I have had a bounty on my head sort of accidentally and that is the only time I have been involved in PvP. I lost. Note that I had that bounty for about 6 hours before someone came to collect. Everyone just kind of ignores everyone else and does their own thing. You can team up and I am pretty sure they are expecting voice chat to be the go to. I can't find my mic though. No big deal, I just emote "Hi" and continue on my way.