Conan Exiles

coopasonic
coopasonic
Copied over from last weeks weekend playlist thread:
coopasonic wrote: »
EngineNo9 wrote: »
I finished up Battletech Friday night and have been bouncing back and forth between Destiny 2 and Conan Exiles since. i feel like I am hitting the limit on what you can do solo in Conan, so I might just try joining a PvP server and playing around with getting killed repeatedly.

Aah, that's too bad. I had kind of worried that like Ark you would be a bit too limited as a solo player in Conan and it sounds like that's how it goes.

After playing some more, solo isn't really that bad... it isn't really much different from Ark though. I moved to a (official) PvP server and didn't see anyone all day and got back to where I was on my local game. For most of the day there were 7-10 players on and a little chat going on. I finally decided to go for a run after setting up my crafting stations to make all the stuff I needed for a decent-sized Tier 2 base... and when I came back I couldn't get on.

The official servers have "raid time." Player structures are indestructible, except for a specific time window. On the server I was playing on I think it is 5-11pm ET. The server was 40/40 every time I checked... and I checked a lot. Basically I had a Tier 1 house, full of Tier 2 crafting materials and I couldn't get on to check on it. I did what any sane person would do... I started a character on another server.

The official server have gathering set at 2x, but this server had it at 1x so I didn't get as far as fast, but I got some decent levels for the time invested, did some exploring and built a starter home.... again. This server was running around 30-32 people at prime time and had the cap set at 50-ish.

This morning I was finally able to get on my original server and found that I was alive and my building was still intact. I guess it was too far out of the way to be worth to anyone equipped to harm it. On the other hand, I know somebody found it because all the bricks were gone from my furnace. My furnace was poking through the wall of my base so you could access it from outside. Oops. Bricks are probably the most annoying thing to make and that was the last thing I needed to prep for my new base. It only took me about a half hour this morning to recover what I had lost, so not a big deal.

The real question is what do I do tonight. I'd rather play with 2x gathering, but I do not want to fight for a spot on a server. The game just hit release last week so I assume people will get bored and move on... hell, I'll be playing State of Decay 2 in a few days.

If anyone wants to play with me on the server with space, (I think) it is: 134.255.251.171:23000 If the name comes up with Mixer.com that's the place. It has RP in the title. From what I can tell, that means at the end of character creation change your name from your steam name to something more thematic.

Since that post I have restarted one more time on a new server. I think it is official server 1769 (will confirm when I am home if anyone cares to join up). They patched the workaround I was using to get on the full official server (direct connect didn't check player count) and I heard they were launching new servers, so I was checking out the server list and found some higher ping servers with no population at all and on a whim jumped on one of them. That was probably Wednesday of last week. I am now level 57 (out of 60) and having a lot of fun. I have never seen more than four players on the server at once. At this moment, I am by far the highest level. I started a clan just to say I did and then invited a guy I was chatting with in the general chat. He's now the second highest player on the server at 30 and coming up quickly. We have a cool base on the aqueduct that more or less requires an elevator to reach.

I've also gathered 9 or 10 thralls to help out around the house, mostly tier 3 (smelter, armorer, blacksmith, carpenter, tanner, couple dancers and a fighter), though I have a tier 4 thrall master to help break thralls faster, and I have a named archer just about ready to go along with a second smelter. I tried to get a named fighter, but he kicked my ass. I may need to get my clanmate to help me bring him down.

Anyway, a lot better than my initial impressions led me to think.

Comments

• coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    My server is official pvp server 1767. If you want to join up, jump on and look for Kyra or Numnuts. If it's Numnuts tell him you are a friend of Kyra.
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    Just a quick update that I am up to 81 hours in this damn game. I got God of War for my birthday and I am still playing this. I was basically max level for about a week on the server my clan of 3 was dominating but two of us are moving servers because we are bored playing by ourselves with nobody to mess with. This is the 5th time I have done the starting out bits and I am *still* enjoying it. This is unprecedented for me in a multiplayer survival game.

The new server is official #1515 and you are all still welcome. Look for Kyra.
  • Isgrimnur
    Isgrimnur
    GT Member
    Wife is playing PvP a lot more than I'm playing PvE. She's much more into building than I am, where as I seem to be into the combat-support crafting.
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    The guy I have been playing with is great at the building stuff. His structures are stylish and thoughtful. Mine are... roomy.
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    Home base, from yesterday:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1408530674

Now that sandstone area on the right, is all black ice and up to a height with the rest of the base. I felt like I needed more room.
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member edited July 3
    Fretmute on OO has a private PvE server up if anyone was afraid of PvP and wants to play with friendly folks. There are 6 or 7 of us playing over there.

http://octopusoverlords.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=92146&start=160#p2579884
    Just a quick update that I am up to 81 hours in this damn game.

That post was from May 30th... 34 days ago. Now I am at 241 hours played. That seems... high. :open_mouth:

• MonkeyFinger
    MonkeyFinger
    GT Member
    Yeah, but from what I've read there is constant concern that you'll run into a pants-less Hepcat over there. :s =)
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    Yeah, but from what I've read there is constant concern that you'll run into a pants-less Hepcat over there. :s =)

I want to say it's worth the risk, but I can't be sure as I haven't had that specific experience.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    For anyone that is interested in this game but doesn't own it yet, you can get it right now as one of the early unlocks for next month's Humble Monthly for only $12 (along with Hat In Time and The Escapists 2 and then the other games the reveal at the beginning of next month).

That's a hell of a deal in my opinion.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    EngineNo9 wrote: »
    For anyone that is interested in this game but doesn't own it yet, you can get it right now as one of the early unlocks for next month's Humble Monthly for only $12 (along with Hat In Time and The Escapists 2 and then the other games the reveal at the beginning of next month).

That's a hell of a deal in my opinion.

I was on the fence, and this $12 price (plus all the other games I'll get) ultimately pushed me over.

Never tried a survival game before, but the setting looks cool and I won't be losing much if it doesn't click.
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    Just beware that a HUGE patch was pushed yesterday and it broke a bunch of stuff. They have a hotfix in the works that should get pushed at some point tomorrow. The broken might not a big deal in your first few hours, but it still might be best to hold off playing until the hotfix if you have other options.
  • Isgrimnur
    Isgrimnur
    GT Member
    Hotfix is up and available.