Star Control: Origins

Island Dog
Island Dog
edited October 2016 in Video Games
Star Control: Origins was announced today along with the opening of the Founders program! :)

http://gamingtrend.com/screenshot-post/stardock-reveals-star-control-origins-with-some-new-screenshots/

Gameplay teaser:

Comments

• Dante Rising
    Dante Rising
    GT Member
    OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG!

PLEASE DON'T SCREW THIS UP. Playing Star Control II was one of the best memories I have from my early days of gaming. My friend and I would race home after school and play it on my 3DO together. He was an amazing combat pilot with that ridiculous little Spathi fighter, manhandling enemies that should have trounced him. I was the Captain, setting navigation routes around the universe, and whenever combat took place, I handed the controller over to him. There was nothing better than entering a new system and locating the next Byzantine alien race.
  • Dante Rising
    Dante Rising
    GT Member
    Still damned excited, but....crap....

The decision to go with a prequel rather than a sequel seems at first an odd choice, but it’s the result of the complexities of the Star Control franchise intellectual property. Even though Stardock has the naming and publishing rights to the Star Control franchise, it does not have the rights to use any of the Star Control aliens or story material in the first two games. All of that remains the property of original Star Control creators Fred Ford and Paul Reiche III. Ars reached out to Ford and Reiche for some elaboration, and Reiche responded with this clarifying statement:

Fred and I retain the copyright to all material in Star Control I & II, but we do not own the name "Star Control," which is why our open source project is called, "The Ur-Quan Masters." Stardock purchased the trademark for Star Control as well as the original material in Star Control III, which Fred and I also did not create. Super space-cows? What were they thinking?!
  • forgeforsaken
    forgeforsaken
    GT Member
    Yeah, I'm generally not a fan of Stardock, and we've already had a SC sequel from someone other than the SC2 team and that game wasn't great, so I'm really not expecting much from this title unfortunately, even though SC2 is one of my all time favorites. I'll hold out hope for the original creators to put an Ur-Quan universe sequel together at some point.
  • Caine
    Caine
    GT Member
    on 1476987476:

Still damned excited, but....crap....

The decision to go with a prequel rather than a sequel seems at first an odd choice, but it’s the result of the complexities of the Star Control franchise intellectual property. Even though Stardock has the naming and publishing rights to the Star Control franchise, it does not have the rights to use any of the Star Control aliens or story material in the first two games. All of that remains the property of original Star Control creators Fred Ford and Paul Reiche III. Ars reached out to Ford and Reiche for some elaboration, and Reiche responded with this clarifying statement:

Fred and I retain the copyright to all material in Star Control I & II, but we do not own the name "Star Control," which is why our open source project is called, "The Ur-Quan Masters." Stardock purchased the trademark for Star Control as well as the original material in Star Control III, which Fred and I also did not create. Super space-cows? What were they thinking?!

Well, this certainly puts a damper on my excitement seeing this again. SC without the aliens isn't SC, and that trailer looked okay, but did not have a real SC feel to it. Why bother using the name if you can't continue on the story line with a proper SC3? I do want a game in the same vein, but this doesn't seem like it's going to fit the bill.
  • Island Dog
    Island Dog
    GT Member
    Star Control: Origins Fleet Battles Beta begins today!

Trailer:

https://youtu.be/a-hhgTxiB8Y
    Star Control: Origins is a science-fiction adventure game set in an open universe that puts the player as the captain of Earth's first interstellar vessel on a mission to find allies to help save humanity from certain annihilation.

The beta unlocks the Fleet Battles feature, where you'll assemble ships in a fleet and engage in battle with fleets controlled by either the computer, humans via the Internet, or even friends sitting at the same PC.

You can literally design your own ships to use in combat using the Ship Crafting system, or you can download ships designed by others to play with. Ship Crafting not only allows you to decide what weapons and defenses a ship has, but allows total control of how a ship looks.

More info here: https://forums.starcontrol.com/485611
  • Island Dog
    Island Dog
    GT Member
    The February Dev Diary for Star Control: Origins is out! It has updates on the game's progress, answers to your frequently asked questions, and some discussion on the lore and how it fits in with the classic series. :)

https://www.stardock.com/games/article/487303/

image.png
  • Dante Rising
    Dante Rising
    GT Member
    I'm still lost as to why they are calling it Star Control if none of the original races are in the game. Star Control 2 on the 3DO was one of the first games I ever played and loved. A simple remake would have been wonderful. Instead we get ... this.
  • Island Dog
    Island Dog
    GT Member
    I'm still lost as to why they are calling it Star Control if none of the original races are in the game. Star Control 2 on the 3DO was one of the first games I ever played and loved. A simple remake would have been wonderful. Instead we get ... this.

From the FAQ:

"Star Control: Origins takes place in 2088. While it isn't a prequel, as it takes place in a different universe, it does take place decades before the events that occurred in the DOS games.

That said, the Ur-Quan, VUX, Spathi, Orz, Syreen, etc. are all out there. They will arrive over time."
  • Island Dog
    Island Dog
    GT Member
    There are about 3,000 unique planets that are split into roughly 75 different classes. The newest dev journal shows how we create our planet classes through a mixture of procedural generation and designer balance.

https://www.stardock.com/games/article/488103/star-control-so-you-want-to-build-a-planet

9d469cswk1rb.png

• jztemple2
    jztemple2
    GT Member
    Sounds better and better.
  • Island Dog
    Island Dog
    GT Member
    Director of Production Patrick Shaw was in L.A. yesterday to reveal the WORLD PREMIERE of our new Star Control: Origins trailer, official release date and never before seen gameplay at the PC Gaming Show!