Monster Hunter World Catch-All

farley2k
farley2k
Reviews are out now! Not my cup of tea (minimal story, really needing online play) but it certainly looks cool.

Monster Hunter: World Review "Buy, Wait for Sale, Rent, Never Touch?"

Monster Hunter: World - REVIEW (PS4, Xbox One)

Comments

• EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Yeah, currently sitting at 91 on Metacritic with 43 reviews. Seems like they finally made the home console Monster Hunter people have been wanting.

I am definitely interested, but was really hoping for the PC version. Thankfully I can wait until this fall when it comes out.
  • Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    Was going to pass. Now... ?? jerk. :P #forumeffect
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    Purge wrote: »
    Was going to pass. Now... ?? jerk. :P #forumeffect

I'm in kind of the same place. I had myself convinced to skip it... but now... hmm...
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    I've tried a couple of the MH games on 3DS, and they never really clicked with me. The camera always sucked, movement always felt clunky as hell, gameplay was boring for super-long stretches then suddenly "OMGWTF...and I'm dead", and everything seemed overly complex just for complexity's sake.

I might give this one a try at some point, but I'm in no hurry.
  • Harkonis
    Harkonis
    GT Member
    Before this morning I had played a total of 1 hour of Monster Hunter in my life. Now I have played 6 hours and am really liking it.
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    My 11 year old and I watched some of the early gameplay an youtube. He flipped out when he saw the Palico... being able to design his own pet cat is like a dream come true for him. This might finally get him off the switch so his little brother can play some Zelda or Daddy can play some Kingdom Battles... I'm interested too. I tried Monster Hunter Generations on the 3DS, but it didn't really click. I am not sure why I think this will be different, but what the heck, I'll give it a try.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Here is the launch trailer, just to tempt you guys further:

• farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Monster Hunter World Review - ProJared
    *I like his long form reviews.

• MonkeyFinger
    MonkeyFinger
    GT Member
    Well, crap, never had any interest in this series but... now I kinda do. [sigh]
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    Thanks a lot, hype. Damnit.
  • YellowKing
    YellowKing
    GT Member
    Well I can give you some impressions from a total Monster Hunter n00b. Actually didn't even know much at all about the series until a couple of days ago right before Monster Hunter World came out. Watching a lot of videos and Twitch gameplay convinced me to take the plunge.

First things first - I'm having a blast with this game. There's an extremely compelling feedback loop with the "hunt monster, craft better gear, hunt bigger monster" mechanic. I also like that there's always something to do. If you're not following the storyline quest, you can free expedition to hunt parts for armor pieces you need, go try out new weapons, or just explore.

One thing they really nailed is the feel of actually hunting a creature. You're kind of dumped out into the world with no idea where your quarry is, and only by finding tracks and exploring will you manage to track the beast. When you do finally corner your prey, it's an exhilarating feeling to find yourself locked in mortal combat with these gigantic monsters. Most of them will run away after enough damage has been dealt, so you again get that "real hunt" feeling as you track you further track your wounded prey deeper into the wilderness.

There are all kinds of other satisfying mechanisms I love such as the harvesting, collecting lore via tracks and other creature signs, upgrading weapons, doing bounties, etc.

Combat is interesting in that every one of the 14 weapons feels completely different. What you settle on will be a matter of personal preference, and will require ample experimentation. Combat takes some getting used to. I'm coming off Assassin's Creed: Origins where combat is super fast and smooth. Monster Hunter's fights, on the other hand, are much slower and more deliberate. You'll really need to make sure you're lined up, as missing a beast and having to suffer through the combo animation can cost you your life. It's not as unforgiving as something like Dark Souls, but still requires the same kind of thought process instead of mindless button mashing.

On the downside, the game's intricate upgrade systems and the terminology it throws at you is not super friendly for beginners. While the tutorial does an OK job introducing concepts, I don't feel like I truly grasp everything yet. To this point I've just been kind of winging it, but I'm still having fun. At some point I'll start hitting some videos and guides to brush up on making your game sessions as efficient as possible.

Challenge-wise I really haven't had many problems yet, though I'm still early in the game. I was expecting going in some Dark Souls level of difficulty, but it's nowhere close to that. The first few big monsters I ran into I took down on the first try, and they felt challenging without ever feeling impossible. As you get deeper into the game you'll hit stuff you simply can't take on without better gear, but so far the storyline quests have kept me pretty balanced.

If you're on the fence, I'd say the biggest factor is going to be how receptive you are to that hunt - loot - craft - hunt mechanic. You're going to be hitting a lot of areas repeatedly and hunting a lot of the same monsters to get the parts to move to that next tier. So far it hasn't felt grindy to me because there's so much other stuff to do, but it's something to keep in mind.
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    The Anjanath (T-rex looking guy) will wreck you if you are sloppy. He's the first guy that caused me to fail a quest. I only fainted once before that. I need to be a little more patient. I still haven't found a weapon I really like. The sword and shield is my go to, but it feel pretty hack and slash-y.

Saying all that, I am having a LOT of fun with it. The two regions i have hunted in are very different and the hunting and gathering and bounties and expeditions and just always something to do... and the kitty is so cute AND so helpful!
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Damn...well I hope they do a good job on the PC port to make the wait worthwhile!
  • Harkonis
    Harkonis
    GT Member
    anyone on xbox, just join a session and we can get you invited to the squad. It's weird, but you can even all be in the same session chilling but not in the same game. I think it's 16 people per session, 4 max on a quest.
  • MonkeyFinger
    MonkeyFinger
    GT Member
    That seems to match what I saw on the PS4...
  • YellowKing
    YellowKing
    GT Member
    A few more thoughts after putting quite a few hours in this weekend:

- I love that the locales start to feel "real" after awhile. You run through lands so much that you start to recognize where certain beasts hang out, where their nests are, where certain resources are, etc. The only thing that tends to break the illusion is that resources are always in the same place, you may see boss creatures taking the same exact route every time you zone in, etc.

- It's great fun getting more powerful weapons and armor and going back to utterly pwn something in seconds that you used to spend 20 minutes fighting.

- So far I've been following the philosophy of "if I can build it, and it's stronger than what I have, do it." I don't worry about having matching armor sets. The only things I've specifically farmed parts for are weapon upgrades. Also don't forget to upgrade your Palico.

- Progression-wise I've just been focusing on story quests, and in-between those doing any side quests I can find. So far I haven't hit any walls, though I'm still early.

- My favorite weapon so far is the 2H hammer. It's slow, but it's not as slow as the 2H sword. And the satisfaction of pulling off a 3-hit combo and WHACKING something with that thing is immense. You really feel like you're pounding a monster into submission.
  • Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    I love the Glaive.
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    I've been playing with the long sword for the last few hours and I am really liking that. I haven't been able to get an upgrade for a while because I need an item that is still ???. I just looked it up and it's a Great Girros hide/skin/pelt whatever. I just made the armor that nullifies the effluvium so I guess I am good to go get it.
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    Hark has been streaming this on twitch if you want to watch some game play and try to figure out what the hell is going on. He was using the bagpipes last night and they are apparently a large blunt weapon... honestly that's probably the best use for bagpipes. It's interesting to note that he sharpens them rather frequently.
  • Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    Nothing is as painful as a sharp blast from bagpipes.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    Traded in Dissidia NT and picked up Monster Hunter last night. I'm not a complete noob, having spent a few hours with each of the previous versions on DS. I never got very far though (probably less than 8 hours on both), as the camera on the 3DS was absolute shite. So I'm familiar with a few of the very basics, but am mostly coming in new.

When you start, it's all so very...overwhelming. I did the very first hunt last night and while it was fun, I really didn't have a damn clue what I was doing. Some of that will come with simple practice, I'm sure. I started with the giant lance-looking thing because it seemed to be for beginners, but I don't really like it much. Think I'll probably switch over to a sword/shield combo soon, as a little more speed would be helpful.

Looking forward to digging into this one over the weekend.
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    I'm 30+ hours in and still loving it. I'm just starting the high rank missions. Yes, I'm slow. I still love the Long Sword, but my son's love of the Insect Glaive really has me interested in that as well, but not enough to give up my Long Sword just yet.

I found sword and shield to be a bit of a boring hack and slash. The Long Sword takes it up a notch and the Glaive is kind of complicated. All of the other weapons look cool too, but I can only handle so much.

I think the Lance is supposed to be the Tank-y weapon so I suspect it's a slow kill. The Long Sword is more medium damage/low defense, the Glaive is higher damage, (crazy) high mobility. At least that is my impression of them.

The game is pretty repetitive, but it is a satisfying repetition. You are always unlocking new stuff, harvesting parts to build new stuff, killing/capturing new/stronger monsters.

You think it's overwhelming now? You don't even have access to the garden or the safaris yet, the melder or the other shop or a fraction of the meal ingredients. Oh and let's not forgot capturing pets to keep in your room!
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    ds_12114_headline_b_v6.jpg
  • Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    I'm sticking with the glaive.

I love being able to mount monsters without having to climb.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member edited February 10
    I switched to the hammer last night. I like it better because it feels very weighty, but a lot less clumsy.

Need to give some of the other weapons a try this weekend.
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    Finally killed the stupid Pink Rathian last night and got HR13. I've unlocked what I am pretty sure is the final area and lots of fun monsters to get killed by... well they are mostly variations of earlier monsters, but a Lava version of an old monster is still pretty cool (and painful).

Time to farm parts and upgrade some weapons!

I'm still using the Long Sword, but I am using 5 different long swords depending on what I am fighting so I always have a weapon targeting the monsters biggest weakness. It's a bit of a chore to upgrade 5 weapons, just FYI.

Oh and my armor is mostly tragic at this point and I am not really doing a very good job of selecting armor, I just make whatever I have parts for, which might be a bit shortsighted.
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    coopasonic wrote: »
    You think it's overwhelming now? You don't even have access to the garden or the safaris yet, the melder or the other shop or a fraction of the meal ingredients. Oh and let's not forgot capturing pets to keep in your room!

I forgot to mention decorations!
  • MonkeyFinger
    MonkeyFinger
    GT Member
    Great. :/
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    I'm about 8 hours in, and I think it's finally starting to click. A couple quick questions:

1. Is there any advantage to wearing a complete armor set from one specific beast? Wasn't sure if there were "set bonuses" or something.
    2. When I'm looking an info in the monster field guide, do the number of stars next to a reward or carve indicate that it's more frequent, or less frequent. I'm trying to get a full set of Pukei Pukei armor, but haven't gotten any of the Pukei Pukei shells on my last three tries. It's listed as a 4-star item in the field guide, so I'm trying to figure out if that means it's a more common or less common drop. I'm a little frustrated, as I've been doing what it says each time (breaking the monster's back), and it still doesn't drop. That sort of RNG will drive me away in a hurry...
    3. Outside of being able to team up with other people, am I missing anything by not playing online? I don't have a PSN subscription, and am not sure I want to resub just for this. I'm not crazy about playing with other people anyways.
    4. When should I be using those bonus vouchers? On story missions? On Investigations? On Optional quests? Or does it even matter?
    5. How do you capture monsters instead of kill them? Can't find where the game explains that anywhere.

I'm figuring out the whole gameplay loop now, and it's a bit funner than I expected. It's still a bit of a struggle to wrap my head around the game essentially being a long series of boss fights, but I'll get there.
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    Gratch wrote: »
    1. Is there any advantage to wearing a complete armor set from one specific beast? Wasn't sure if there were "set bonuses" or something.

Later there will be and they will be displayed along with the armor Skills. some have a 3 piece bonus and some have a 2 and 4 piece bonus. Generally though you are going to get more out of stacking armor Skills and generally the same set doesn't have more than two pieces with the same skill. Early on just go for whatever you can make. You move past it too fast until you get to like HR11 or so.
    2. When I'm looking an info in the monster field guide, do the number of stars next to a reward or carve indicate that it's more frequent, or less frequent. I'm trying to get a full set of Pukei Pukei armor, but haven't gotten any of the Pukei Pukei shells on my last three tries. It's listed as a 4-star item in the field guide, so I'm trying to figure out if that means it's a more common or less common drop. I'm a little frustrated, as I've been doing what it says each time (breaking the monster's back), and it still doesn't drop. That sort of RNG will drive me away in a hurry...

I am pretty sure more stars = more likely to drop, but not sure there. I haven't paid much attention really. More stars is definitely more susceptible to damage on that list though.
    3. Outside of being able to team up with other people, am I missing anything by not playing online? I don't have a PSN subscription, and am not sure I want to resub just for this. I'm not crazy about playing with other people anyways.

Not really. You can trade guild cards which lets other players Palicos help you out on safaris, but not much else and that's not a huge deal.
    4. When should I be using those bonus vouchers? On story missions? On Investigations? On Optional quests? Or does it even matter?

I think the bonus vouchers just double the cash payouts so use them on quests with bigger payouts that you think you will succeed on.
    5. How do you capture monsters instead of kill them? Can't find where the game explains that anywhere.

Once they are low health which you can see by them limping or a pulsing white skull on their mini-map icon, you need to trap them, generally a shock trap for smaller monsters and pit trap for bigger monsters. Once they are trapped hit them in the face with two tranq bombs. Just click square near their head twice and they should be captured. Always be capping unless the quest asks you to specifically slay them. First, because you get more rewards that way (unless you are looking for a carve only reward) and second, because then you get to kill them over and over again in the arena under optional quests.
    I'm figuring out the whole gameplay loop now, and it's a bit funner than I expected. It's still a bit of a struggle to wrap my head around the game essentially being a long series of boss fights, but I'll get there.

Advancing is boss fights, but once you've moved past a mob it should become a lot easier and just a quick kill for parts. But never let your guard down because anything can kill you!