How to use the new forums

Knightshade_Dragon
Knightshade_Dragon

I'll keep updating this post as we learn new things about our new home. Here are a few you should know. :)

Want to drop in an image from Imgur? Simply paste in the Imgur link.
Want to showcase a YouTube or Vimeo video? Simply paste in the URL.
Want to let us listen to your newest tracks on Bandcamp or Soundcoud? Paste in the URL.

Ron Burke
Editor in Chief
GAMING TREND

Xbox Gamertag: Gaming Trend
PS4 Tag: GamingTrend

Comments

• uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager

You can now upvote/downvote comments and posts!

Mike Dunn
    Executive Producer & Editor-at-Large
    GAMING TREND

• uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager edited May 23

BTW we have

Spoiler tags!!!!! Look in the paragraph dropdown

Mike Dunn
    GAMING TREND

• uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager

And be sure to check out the Newsfeed- when someone comments on an article on the front page of the site their comments start up a thread in Newsfeed. You can use your forum credentials to comment and view the conversation here in the forums after it starts on the front page!

Mike Dunn
    GAMING TREND

• naednek
    naednek
    GT Moderator
    I'll keep updating this post as we learn new things about our new home. Here are a few you should know. :)

Want to let us listen to your newest tracks on Bandcamp or Soundcoud? Paste in the URL.

i copied the URL to the youtube video, but it just kept it as a link. How do you embed it?
  • uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager edited May 24
    naednek wrote: »

i copied the URL to the youtube video, but it just kept it as a link. How do you embed it?

You just paste in the URL into the textarea- pasting it in AS a link wraps it in [ url ] tags

"You must unlearn what you have learned" <waves hand>

Mike Dunn
    GAMING TREND

• Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member edited May 24
    I was going to change my password here, but I don't see any option to do so? I checked Profile and Preferences.

Oops. I see it now, it's a separate entry under preferences, but off in the right sidebar.
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member
    I'm a little confused - we can still edit other posters' posts here. Is this an intended feature? :o

I've only used the ability to add hopefully helpful tags in a couple places where the Op Poster didn't use a forum tag.
  • uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager edited October 11
    Blackjack wrote: »
    I'm a little confused - we can still edit other posters' posts here. Is this an intended feature? :o

I've only used the ability to add hopefully helpful tags in a couple places where the Op Poster didn't use a forum tag.

Still?!?!?! I'm going to have to look at the documentation for permissions, because apparently what I think is dealing with that isn't.

Mike Dunn
    GAMING TREND

• EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Being able to edit other people's posts was fixed for me after you responded to his last post that it was fixed.

However, I can still select the 3 line hamburger and Delete any post.
  • uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager
    EngineNo9 wrote: »
    Being able to edit other people's posts was fixed for me after you responded to his last post that it was fixed.

However, I can still select the 3 line hamburger and Delete any post.

Ok, I should have fixed that now. Let me know.

Mike Dunn
    GAMING TREND

• Purge
    Purge
    GT Member edited October 11
    The hamburger menu no longer pops up on every post (for me) and I cannot delete my own posts (only edit them)
  • uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager
    Purge wrote: »
    The hamburger menu no longer pops up on every post (for me) and I cannot delete my own posts (only edit them)

Ok, I found a configuration that allows for self deletion of comments. Let me know if that works.

Self deletion of discussions (entire thread) is not allowed by design, apparently. I can see how that makes sense to some degree.

Mike Dunn
    GAMING TREND

• MonkeyFinger
    MonkeyFinger
    GT Member
    I haven't tried this but in the past one I thought one could delete their post only if it had not been replied to yet. And that also meant that if I had started a topic and then changed my mind before anyone replied I could remove it as well... i.e the "entire thread". Guess I should play around and see how that all works here now.
  • MonkeyFinger
    MonkeyFinger
    GT Member edited October 12
    A reply to test the above. Right now before posting this I could have deleted my previous post.

Edited to add: Hmmm, doesn't matter, looks like we can delete any of our replies at will. Unsure whether that's a good thing or not. :/
  • uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager
    Default configuration of the software is no deleting of posts, no deleting of comments. There are no time expiration settings on either to allow it.
    I thought there were permissions to allow self deletion of both. I was incorrect about that setting and inadvertently gave EVERYBODY the ability to delete anybody's post and/or comment.
    I reverted to the default configuration, did some research, found out that there was a -hidden- configuration to allow users to delete their own comments. I activated that configuration and that is what it is right now.

Basically, you can delete comments, but not posts, and can edit either at any time. The creators of the software intended for no posts or comments to ever be deleted by non admins/mods, but put in a hidden switch to allow self deletion of comments on a post. Is that acceptable or should I change it again?

Mike Dunn
    GAMING TREND

• MonkeyFinger
    MonkeyFinger
    GT Member
    I don't have a problem per se with being able to delete your own comments. Without that, what you'll see are people removing all of the content instead. I still think it would be good to have the ability to delete a new post if it hasn't been replied to yet but... [shrug]
  • uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager
    I still think it would be good to have the ability to delete a new post if it hasn't been replied to yet but... [shrug]

Not my choice. That functionality just isn't available.

Mike Dunn
    GAMING TREND

• MonkeyFinger
    MonkeyFinger
    GT Member
    uxFOOL wrote: »
    I still think it would be good to have the ability to delete a new post if it hasn't been replied to yet but... [shrug]
    Not my choice. That functionality just isn't available.
    Understood, hence the shrug. :)