Xbox One X - or how I'm buying another console.

Purge
Purge
You know what? I'm in. I didn't think I would be, but with the potential I see and this being the year I likely buy a 4K TV, I think my household will be OK to jump up to the faster hardware.

I've tried to be a PC gamer, but the cost to go to the next new card is just as expensive as getting a whole new console.

I'm happy with the new UI and, it being more responsive, faster load times and complete upscaling (and Crimson Skies HRTR?)

I'm in.

Dammit. >_<;

Comments

• pr0ner
    pr0ner
    GT Member
    Don't you worry. I bought a One S to go with my 4K HDR enabled TV that I bought back in December, and I'll be buying a One X, too. You're not alone.
  • Dante Rising
    Dante Rising
    GT Member
    If you purchase UHD blu rays, then I think it is a good investment. But if it is only about the games and 4K streaming, I think the PS4 Pro is a better choice, especially at $150 cheaper. (Expecting a price drop of the Pro as soon as the Scorpio releases. Sorry, I hate the name Xbox One X.)

Beautiful machine tho.
  • Soulchilde
    Soulchilde
    GT Member
    I'm probably going to get one as well and I don't have a 4K tv yet
  • pr0ner
    pr0ner
    GT Member
    If you purchase UHD blu rays, then I think it is a good investment. But if it is only about the games and 4K streaming, I think the PS4 Pro is a better choice, especially at $150 cheaper. (Expecting a price drop of the Pro as soon as the Scorpio releases. Sorry, I hate the name Xbox One X.)

Beautiful machine tho.

UHD blu rays are incredible. Even 4K HDR streaming on Netflix doesn't compare to how gorgeous the picture quality is on physical media.
  • disarm
    disarm
    GT Member
    I upgraded to a 55" Samsung 4k HDR tv a couple months ago and have been anxiously awaiting the Scorpio details. I'm definitely in to upgrade my original Xbox One
  • MonkeyFinger
    MonkeyFinger
    GT Member
    I think I'm gonna sit this one out. After getting a 4K TV and then later something of a "signing bonus" at work, I upgraded my launch PS4 and XBox1 to a Pro and an S. Unfortunately, I hardly ever turn on my Xbox, I think the last time was just to get the latest O/S update. The PS4 is on almost every night with me being sucked deep into HZD at the moment. I do have some "cross play" titles but I end up mostly playing them on my pc. I've also got zero desire to start worrying about getting my hands on UHD movies so the drive isn't really a big draw for me. Ah well, perhaps next time.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    For anyone that is curious, Giant Bomb had Phil Spencer on the couch last night like they have the last few years and talked to him for nearly an hour about Xbox, PC, games, etc.

• Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    Great interview, and it's nice to see he's consistent with his "We don't need others to fail for us to succeed".
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    I saw this going around:
    Xbox One X Enhanced Games
    The following list includes games that look and play better on Xbox One X. Remember: you can play all Xbox One titles on any Xbox One console, but the X offers perks such as 4K resolution and 60 frames per second in supported titles. This list will be updated as more publishers add support for Xbox One X.
    • A Plague Tale: Innocence
    • Anthem
    • ARK: Survival Evolved (Game Preview)
    • Ashen
    • Assassin’s Creed Origins
    • ASTRONEER (Game Preview)
    • Battlerite
    • Below
    • Black Desert
    • Brawlout
    • Chess Ultra
    • CODE VEIN
    • Conan Exiles
    • Crackdown 3
    • Danger Zone
    • Dark and Light
    • Darksiders III
    • Dead Rising 4
    • Deep Rock Galactic
    • Diablo III: Reaper of Souls – Ultimate Evil Edition
    • Dishonored 2
    • Dishonored: Death of the Outsider
    • Disneyland Adventures
    • Dovetail Games Euro Fishing
    • DRAGON BALL Fighter Z
    • Dynasty Warriors 9
    • EA SPORTS FIFA 18
    • Elex
    • Elite: Dangerous
    • EVERSPACE
    • F1 2017
    • Fable Fortune
    • Fallout 4
    • Farming Simulator 17
    • Final Fantasy XV
    • Firewatch
    • For Honor
    • Forza Horizon 3
    • Forza Motorsport 7
    • Gears of War 4
    • Gravel
    • Halo 5: Guardians
    • Halo Wars 2
    • Hand of Fate 2
    • Hello Neighbor
    • HITMAN
    • Homefront: The Revolution
    • Injustice 2
    • Jurassic Park
    • Killer Instinct
    • Killing Floor 2
    • Kingdom Come: Deliverance
    • Life is Strange: Before the Storm
    • Madden NFL 18
    • Mafia III
    • Mantis Burn Racing
    • METAL GEAR SURVIVE
    • Metro: Exodus
    • Middle-earth: Shadow of War
    • Minecraft: Xbox One Edition
    • Minion Masters
    • Monster Hunter: World
    • NBA 2K18
    • Need for Speed Payback
    • Ooblets
    • Ori and the Will of the Wisp
    • Outcast – Second Contact
    • Outlast 2
    • Paladins
    • Path of Exile
    • Pixar Rush
    • PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds
    • Portal Knights
    • Pro Evolution Soccer 2018
    • Project Cars 2
    • Quantum Break
    • Raiders of the Broken Planet
    • Railway Empire
    • Real Farm Simulator 2017
    • ReCore
    • Resident Evil 7 biohazard
    • RiME
    • ROBLOX
    • Robocraft Infinity
    • Rocket League
    • Sea of Thieves
    • Slime Rancher
    • SMITE
    • Sonic Forces
    • Star Wars II Battlefront
    • State of Decay 2
    • STEEP
    • Strange Brigade
    • Super Lucky’s Tale
    • SUPERHOT
    • Surviving Mars
    • Tennis World Tour
    • The Artful Escape
    • The Crew 2
    • The Darwin Project
    • The Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind
    • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition
    • The Last Night
    • The Long Dark
    • The Surge
    • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
    • Titanfall 2
    • Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands
    • Tom Clancy’s The Division
    • Train Sim World
    • TT Isle of Man – Ride on the Edge
    • Warframe
    • Warhammer: End Times – Vermintide
    • We Happy Few
    • Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
    • World of Tanks
    • WRC 7 FIA World Rally Championship
    • Zoo Tycoon
  • Soulchilde
    Soulchilde
    GT Member
    Soulchilde wrote: »
    I'm probably going to get one as well and I don't have a 4K tv yet

Yup. pre-ordered... I'm weak
  • pr0ner
    pr0ner
    GT Member
    I tried pre-ordering the Scorpio edition on Target.com but they kept telling me I had an issue with my card and wouldn't process the order. I guess Target doesn't want my money.
  • Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    My pre-order for the Scorpio edition is in.

Now I'm shopping 4k tvs. : sigh :
  • pr0ner
    pr0ner
    GT Member
    Amazon put up some more Scorpio edition preorders late this morning. I snagged one.
  • Purge
    Purge
    GT Member edited August 24
    Purge wrote: »
    My pre-order for the Scorpio edition is in.

Now I'm shopping 4k tvs. : sigh :

As it turns out, the TV I have is better than the 4K's (faster response times) within reasonable price range.

Probably going to wait a year and then upgrade to a 4k /HDR set.
  • USMC Kato
    USMC Kato
    GT Member
    I have been saving money every month from the beginning of the year, and have enough to buy a nice 4K TV, XBOX X, and a PS4 pro. But will most likely stick to just the XBX for now. Was able to snag a preorder on post (no taxes) before they sold out
  • Harkonis
    Harkonis
    GT Member
    I'll have the XBOX but not the tv to go with it
  • Purge
    Purge
    GT Member edited August 31
    Looking forward to faster response times, longer draw distances and better textures. I've dropped GRWildlands until after Nov7, for instance.

I could probably sell my TV and "upgrade". I dunno. We'll see if there's anything compelling over the next few months. I think I'd want to at least have a QLED or OLED screen and be done with upgrading for a while, which is why I expect to wait at least 12-18 months.
  • pr0ner
    pr0ner
    GT Member
    If you're going to drop that kind of money, get OLED over QLED.
  • Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    I have an LG OLED TV and it is hands down the best looking TV I've ever owned. Gaming, especially on my PS4 Pro is flat out beautiful. OLEDs are still pretty expensive but so worth it.
  • Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    Looking forward to changing things up.

Got the new dashboard last week. Pretty good though there are some bugs (reported).
  • Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    I have an LG OLED TV and it is hands down the best looking TV I've ever owned. Gaming, especially on my PS4 Pro is flat out beautiful. OLEDs are still pretty expensive but so worth it.

Jimmy, I would certainly hope your newest television set is the best looking one you've had ;)

So update on my TV situation - my Samsung 6series 1080p 120Hz (panel) from 2.5yrs ago has a few dark spots, and I have a visions extended warranty (the kind where when you don't use it, they give it back to you in store credit at the end of term).

Love it. Anyways, the tech said this will be replacement. They're giving me 900 for the TV to replace with an equivalent set.

Either I bump up to a 4k HDR or jump to OLED. Having a hard time justifying the extra thousand for it even though I want it.
  • Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    Are there actually OLED TVs that don't do 4K HDR? I don't think I've ever seen one.
  • Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    Are there actually OLED TVs that don't do 4K HDR? I don't think I've ever seen one.

No.

I mean, either I get a 4K HDR LED, or go full bore for the OLED model. :/
  • Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    OLEDs are still pretty expensive but if you are price conscious, and are looking for a 4K HDR LED TV, might I suggest the TCL55P607?

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-55P607-55-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B06Y6FSV5Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1505841143&sr=8-1&keywords=tcl+55p607

Disclaimer: I work for Roku so I do have some bias. :)

It's a great TV for a ridiculously low price and is probably our best looking 4K TV to date. The other thing of note is that it has very low display lag time, which a lot of gamers are looking for. The only thing is that this model is kind of hard to find right now. It's really popular and Amazon is the only place you can get it. So if you're not in a big hurry, it's something to consider. The online reviews are all very positive.
  • JCC
    JCC
    GT Member
    The TCL P series is an excellent value relative to its PQ, for sure. I would have very seriously considered picking up the 65" version, but apparently TCL has canceled the non-55" variants.
  • Knightshade_Dragon
    Knightshade_Dragon
    GT Manager
    My TV is 4K but doesn't support HDR. Having serious debates on whether or not it's worth upgrading to one, and I'm leaning towards no. It's hard to justify a grand or more just for one feature....

Ron Burke
    Editor in Chief
    GAMING TREND

Xbox Gamertag: Gaming Trend
    PS4 Tag: GamingTrend

• EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    For anyone that was still interested in preordering, the Xbone X is back in stock most places.

Also, Major Nelson notes that their list of "Xbox One X Enhanced Games" is now over 130:

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-one/xbox-one-x-enhanced-list

CHESS ULTRA IN 4K HDR 60 FRAMES PER SECOND BITCHES!
  • Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    So my old Samsung is gone, and I have a new one.

I have the UN55MU8000 now, and there are a few things to note:

One - HDR isn't as simple as it would seem. I have an Onkyo HT-RC560 (there is an EU model TX-??636 model which is the same) that only supports HDCP 2.0, not 2.2 so the passthrough will not do HDR. The Xbox One S does seem to work, but the optical out from the TV goes down to DD2.1 ><.

I'm going to play with ARC (HDMI Audio Return Channel) to see if that works later today.

If I have to upgrade my receiver to support HDR, I'm going to be pissed. I may go down to the LG55 8000 series TV instead (which saves me ~300) but apparently the blacks are more grey in darker settings (Samsung's contrast ratio is 4x that of the LG).

Ugh. Why can't I just have the best of the best allatime? Fuck compromise. And no. I don't want OLED. That just seems like inviting problems with burn-in etc. I'd rather not be a cutting edge adopter. I've paid enough into that idea. (looks over at the box of old video cards, topped with a 3DFX card and two Monster II 8MB SLI's)
  • Dante Rising
    Dante Rising
    GT Member edited September 21
    Purge wrote: »
    So my old Samsung is gone, and I have a new one.

I have the UN55MU8000 now, and there are a few things to note:

One - HDR isn't as simple as it would seem. I have an Onkyo HT-RC560 (there is an EU model TX-??636 model which is the same) that only supports HDCP 2.0, not 2.2 so the passthrough will not do HDR. The Xbox One S does seem to work, but the optical out from the TV goes down to DD2.1 ><.

I'm going to play with ARC (HDMI Audio Return Channel) to see if that works later today.

If I have to upgrade my receiver to support HDR, I'm going to be pissed. I may go down to the LG55 8000 series TV instead (which saves me ~300) but apparently the blacks are more grey in darker settings (Samsung's contrast ratio is 4x that of the LG).

Ugh. Why can't I just have the best of the best allatime? Fuck compromise. And no. I don't want OLED. That just seems like inviting problems with burn-in etc. I'd rather not be a cutting edge adopter. I've paid enough into that idea. (looks over at the box of old video cards, topped with a 3DFX card and two Monster II 8MB SLI's)

I own two OLED televisions from LG and they are glorious. Don't be worried about burn in or retention- I play games for hours at a time, and both sets run like champs. If I was a conspiracy theorist I would say Samsung killed my beloved Plasma technology by paying reviewers to over-hype the whole burn in fear mongering. OLED is the same way. And once you use an OLED screen, even the best Samsung or Sony LED offering pale in comparison, especially for off angle viewing and black levels. You can find very trustworthy internet retailers that sell OLEDs for only a couple hundred dollars more than a top tier LED. My 55 inch OLED was $1400 shipped to my door. The 65 inch was much more expensive, but is also older, so the tech was newer and more cost prohibitive.