How I got me a PSP!

Comments

• Daehawk
    Daehawk
    GT Member
    Its great you got a PSp for only $22 but the prices they paid you for that stuff is just abysmal man. You're gonna need extra toilet paper for that new ahole they gave you. They'll sell that to others for 5 times that probably. Its another reason I hate those stores.
  • Doopri
    Doopri
    GT Member
    so who cares what price ya get its a bunch of dusty old junk - its better than what i do with old console non cart media - which is get high and watch it flicker like a lil lightenin storm in the microwave. and ya COULD bust ya balls with a bunch of 2 week transactions to some random cat on ebay ya never met before - or ya can just trade in that copy of the original mario for .50 instead of the 2 bucks cash 2 weeks later... in check...

or ya could be playin your PSP

im sure hell cry bout his long lost vintage copy of T&C Surf later... when he gets bored playin nasty gorgeous PSP games... itll prob be the same day i wish i could trade in my xbox for an old punch card version of Super Star Trek
  • TheMissingLink
    TheMissingLink
    GT Member
    If you've got old stuff...I see no loss in trading them in towards a new product. It's not like you play them anyway.
  • Calvin
    Calvin
    GT Member
    If you've got old stuff...I see no loss in trading them in towards a new product. It's not like you play them anyway.

Agreed, hence my recent clear out sale. I dont want to lug this stuff with me when I move, and if the best I can do is a few bucks in store for somethign no one here will trade/buy, then thats what I will do.
  • rrmorton
    rrmorton
    LOL. Nice, Doopri. :D

or ya could be playin your PSP

AYE! There's the rub! (I have been doing just that, playing Tiger Woods on my PSP for the last three hours and it's AMAZING. Very cool system.)

What did I pay for that again? Oh, that's right... $20 and two cents. :D

Daehawk wrote:
    Its great you got a PSp for only $22 but the prices they paid you for that stuff is just abysmal man. You're gonna need extra toilet paper for that new ahole they gave you. They'll sell that to others for 5 times that probably. Its another reason I hate those stores.

Since they opened in 1999, I've visited the Gamestop on W. 106th and Broadway on average probably 3 or 4 times a week. I go in to browse, chat games, pick up a new release, whatever. All the guys who work there (not to mention the exceptionally hot Daiana) are fun to bullshit around with.

This whole time, Javi, the manager, has been cool enough to give me a standing discount of 20% off every game I buy in there. Plus, he's given me probably a dozen t-shirts over the years, not to mention caps, stuffed animals for Amelia, a free copy of Sacred they got as a promo, special first-offer privileges (like on canceled PSP preorders for example) etc.

So, sure, Gamestop Corporate can suck my ass. They do not offer good prices on their trade ins. But I don't go to Gamestop Corporate, I go to Javi and Fred's Gamestop and do my part to increase sales in the branch they manage. They could have paid me triple the $175 I got and it still wouldn't have come close to the amount I've saved shopping there over the last 6 years.

Besides, as far as I can gather, the only games I traded that are worth a damn on Ebay would be Einhander, FFVII, FFT, and maybe N64 Paper Mario. Spend hours setting up an Ebay and Paypal account and monitor auctions and run trips to the post office, maybe even chase down delinquent buyers... That sounds outrageously unappealing to me. Time is money.

So who else thinks I got ass raped? Step right up and let me know!
  • Zekester
    Zekester
    GT Member
    I don't think you got ass-raped.

But i do think that you're defending your decision a little more than you should be here.
  • depward
    depward
    GT Member
    Wow that's absolutely cool they treat you somewhat of a "special customer" there. I think if anyone was thinking, "Wow he threw away a lot of money!" before, they aren't now. :D And I wish my local game store would do that for me. My roomie, brother, and I go in there about 3-4 times a week usually and we don't get SQUAT :D

I, for one, saw it as either doing that and getting your PSP for $20 or whatnot or going through the omega hassle that is Ebay and auctioning things off. I love Ebay, and I like to buy things on there, but selling I'm not particularily fond of.
  • Calvin
    Calvin
    GT Member
    Zekester wrote:
    I don't think you got ass-raped.

But i do think that you're defending your decision a little more than you should be here.

I think if people hadn't jumped on him for absolutely no good reason whatsoever he wouldnt have had to.
  • Calvin
    Calvin
    GT Member
    depward wrote:
    Wow that's absolutely cool they treat you somewhat of a "special customer" there. I think if anyone was thinking, "Wow he threw away a lot of money!" before, they aren't now. :D And I wish my local game store would do that for me. My roomie, brother, and I go in there about 3-4 times a week usually and we don't get SQUAT :D

I, for one, saw it as either doing that and getting your PSP for $20 or whatnot or going through the omega hassle that is Ebay and auctioning things off. I love Ebay, and I like to buy things on there, but selling I'm not particularily fond of.

Seriously me too, selling this cube on ebay is like pulling teeth for me, i hate to be involved with ebay at all :)
  • rrmorton
    rrmorton
    My Dad was a salesman so I have this deep-rooted Consumer Crusader alter-ego. This stuff just pushes my buttons. :D
  • Fellow
    Fellow
    GT Member
    Eh, don't let it, rrmorton. Just be sure to enjoy your PSP, since that's what it's all about in the end, anyways.
  • stiffler
    stiffler
    rrmorton wrote:
    So who else thinks I got ass raped? Step right up and let me know!

I think you dumped stuff that you weren't going to use and got a brand new PSP for it. That stuff sitting around collecting dust doesn't net you any cash.

You said yourself you could have made more selling it on eBay. But you would have no PSP to marvel at tonight! Opportunity cost is my best friend. Well, at least it eases my conscience. :lol:

It's not like you were going to wake up with the urge to play Duke Nukem 64 tomorrow. And if you do just play Lumines and tell that voice to shut the hell up.

I don't know what's wrong with some of you giving him a hard time over this.
  • Hetz
    Hetz
    GT Member
    I think you dumped stuff that you weren't going to use and got a brand new PSP for it. That stuff sitting around collecting dust doesn't net you any cash.

Exactly. All the people saying he got ripped off or should have gone to Ebay...well he wouldn't have a PSP right now if he went the Ebay route.

I don't know about him but I HATE the hassle of Ebay. I always just go down to EB/Gamestop and trade in my stuff. Much easier and no hassle. Do I get a little less than going the Ebay route, sure, but I don't have the time or the patience to deal with Ebay at this stage in my life. When I didn't have a job/family, I had no problems with using Ebay, but my life is a ton more complex now and I don't have the time to deal with the jerkoffs on Ebay.

Congrats, rrmorton! Enjoy your new PSP!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    I say more power to you! You got what you wanted and when you wanted it, AND you cleaned house, so not only did you get a nifty little gadget, which I still can't justify but I look at trade in deals daily to find something, but you made space in your home and in an odd side effect I am certain your wife is happy that you cleared out the clutter; Or space for more homeless games, which will make you happier in the long run :-) So I'd say you're up like 4 or 5 cool points by now regardless of how much you got for trade ins.

Remember people, there many more homeless games out there than there are homes for them, please spay and neuter your consoles... :P

Oh and congrats Rob, getting fun toys is allways a good thing.
  • Zekester
    Zekester
    GT Member
    Does this thread make anyone else think about the good old days of Ebay?

Guess we all should've known it wasn't going to last.

I still remember when you could sell guns on there, for cryin out loud :!:
  • Ralph-Wiggum
    Ralph-Wiggum
    GT Member
    Way to go Rob. Keep talking good about the PSP and maybe you can convince my brother to get one. :wink:

Just as a side note, if anyone is trading in games they might want to try Blockbuster (at least for games for the newer consoles). In general, they give more money than an EB or Gamestop and right now they have a deal where you trade in 3 or more games and get an extra $5 for each one. Add to that deal the fact that Blockbuster almost always has the "buy 2 used games get 1 free deal" and you can really get some good stuff (they usually have newer used games for sale relatively soon). On Thursday, I traded in 4 games and one DVD for more than enough money to get a new copy of God of War from them. I'm not sure whether you can get cash or if the trade in is only for store credit, though.
  • Afrolex
    Afrolex
    GT Member
    I wanted a PSP but didn't want to shell out the bucks for one. I went in my closet and pulled out games and movies that I didn't need/want anymore.

I went to Blockbuster (Game Rush) and traded 40 movies and 6 older games. It paid for my PSP and I still had $20 credit left.

The PSP is an amazing device and it was definitely worth trading for.
  • TheMissingLink
    TheMissingLink
    GT Member
    ^ I like this man.
  • stimpy
    stimpy
    GT Member
    O.k., I'm intrigued at the idea of trading in old games and systems to possibly get a PSP. I have a couple of original Nintendo systems with a bunch of games. I have a N64 with a couple of games. I have a PS1 with a couple of games. I have a Genesis w/the cd add-on and a bunch of games. I have a Dreamcast with a couple of games. I have acouple of Super Nintendos with some games. I have some assorted joysticks, controllers and the mouse and tablet for the Nintendo. What is my best option to trade this stuff in and get the most money?
  • -Lord Ebonstone-
    -Lord Ebonstone-
    GT Member
    namretaw wrote:
    I wanted a PSP but didn't want to shell out the bucks for one. I went in my closet and pulled out games and movies that I didn't need/want anymore.

I went to Blockbuster (Game Rush) and traded 40 movies and 6 older games. It paid for my PSP and I still had $20 credit left.

Gamerush is, imo, the best B&M trading spot there is. I traded in four or five recent GCN and PS2 titles and got something like $189 after all their trade-in deals and offers, which is just a flat-out amazing return rate that even rivals selling on forums/eBay. Plus they were 100% friendly and happy to accept everything... Gamerush is a great place. At least, in my experience.
  • Calvin
    Calvin
    GT Member
    namretaw wrote:

Gamerush is, imo, the best B&M trading spot there is. I traded in four or five recent GCN and PS2 titles and got something like $189 after all their trade-in deals and offers, which is just a flat-out amazing return rate that even rivals selling on forums/eBay. Plus they were 100% friendly and happy to accept everything... Gamerush is a great place. At least, in my experience.

There isnt one withine like 75 miles of me unfortunately :( The best place for game trades that I have found is Gamecrazy, hollywoods joint. I need to see if they have any PSP's left actually. BTW, Chris please tell me the package arrived.
  • Laner
    Laner
    GT Member
    Rage wrote:
    Raven VII wrote:
    Wow... that's one of the most idiotic moves I've ever seen anyone make...

That was a totally asshole response to a guy excited about his new toy. Here we are ( or I am) always saying that we are the less judgemental, cooler group, and we chase one of the coolest posters away? That has, in my words, no style.

Well, in Raven's defense, he can't help it 8)

20020712l.gif

I swear, that's untouched straight from Penny Arcade.
  • Calvin
    Calvin
    GT Member
    Laner wrote:
    Rage wrote:
    Raven VII wrote:

That was a totally asshole response to a guy excited about his new toy. Here we are ( or I am) always saying that we are the less judgemental, cooler group, and we chase one of the coolest posters away? That has, in my words, no style.

20020712l.gif

That is fucking awesome. its not just awesome, its fucking awesome. Saying fuck with awesome makes me cool, like that Raven guy. Fucking a.
  • depward
    depward
    GT Member
    namretaw wrote:

Holy crap. I want a Game Rush around here! I get pennies in the bank for trade-ins at wherever I go :(
  • ravenvii
    ravenvii
    GT Member
    Rage wrote:
    Laner wrote:
    Rage wrote:
    Raven VII wrote:

20020712l.gif

That is fucking awesome. its not just awesome, its fucking awesome. Saying fuck with awesome makes me cool, like that Raven guy. Fucking a.

It's true, it's true!
  • Doopri
    Doopri
    GT Member
    lol Rave seriously thats legit? he didnt add in the "Raven" bit - it came straight from penny arcade? its funny with anyones name in it but hilarious if they really threw that up there cause its real :)
  • ravenvii
    ravenvii
    GT Member
    Doopri1 wrote:
    lol Rave seriously thats legit? he didnt add in the "Raven" bit - it came straight from penny arcade? its funny with anyones name in it but hilarious if they really threw that up there cause its real :)

I know, I've seen that comic a while ago. You guys aren't the first to link my name and that comic :D
  • Raintitan
    Raintitan
    Don't let anyone kid you.

You WILL be able to get all kinds of oldies and classic games for next to nothing and very easily down the road.

Look at the Atari and Intellivision toys for $10-20 that let you plug into your tv and play. That, and the emulation scene ensures that you won't need to keep stuff around the house (cable hell, anyway). However, if you enjoy the hardware itself...that is a different story. Me, it's all about the gameplay :-)

Good for you. Regardless of what they gave you, if you weren't playing them they didn't have value to you anyhow.
  • Knightshade_Dragon
    Knightshade_Dragon
    GT Manager
    Ok, this has gone on long enough. Be happy the guy got a deal he can feel comfortable with and be happy for him. Ease down the language and the personal attacks. :) Thanks

Ron Burke
    Editor in Chief
    GAMING TREND

Xbox Gamertag: Gaming Trend
    PS4 Tag: GamingTrend