Obsidian and InExile now part of Microsoft Studios

EngineNo9
EngineNo9
Announced at their XO18 convention thingy, Microsoft has gone hard all-in on PC RPG developers by buying not only Obsidian Entertainment but also inExile Entertainment.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/11/10/obsidian-inxile-join-microsoft-studios/

And here is a wrap up of all the other things they announced and showed:

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/11/10/x018-inside-xbox-news-recap/
Tagged:

Comments

• Dante Rising
    Dante Rising
    GT Member edited November 11
    Good God, I'm terrified that Obsidian will follow in the path of Bioware- a studio that no longer knows (or is allowed) to make a proper RPG. I cannot see Microsoft allowing Obsidian to create cRPG games, as the market is too small for a player like MS to acquire a studio for games that produce such niche sales.

Of course, with how poorly Pillars 2 performed in comparison to Pillars 1, perhaps MS is saving Obsidian from an untimely death. From what I've read in various forums, Obsidian has more than once teetered on the edge of financial oblivion. Perhaps MS thinks they can create their own Bethesda-esque empire. Obsidian and Inexile would be a good place to start.

NOBODY TOUCH CDPROJEKT RED!
  • Dante Rising
    Dante Rising
    GT Member
    Fare thee well, Obsidian. I hope all turns out for the best. In the meantime...

https://store.steampowered.com/app/912570/BEAUTIFUL_DESOLATION/
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    My real hope is that with the rumor of Playground Games working on a new Fable, this would mean more that Playground could handle the technical side of things and Obsidian/inExile could handle more of the story, content and true RPG side of things.

Time will tell, but it's certainly a tough time for larger independent companies to survive in, so at the very least it gives them some financial stability (until Phil Spencer leaves Microsoft, which is hopefully a long, long way in the future).
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member

I had never heard of that game (or the studio, to be honest), but they have a history of doing well-made isometric games and that looks like it's keeping the spirit alive.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member edited November 11
    A Special Announcement from Obsidian Entertainment:

And one from InExile:
  • MonkeyFinger
    MonkeyFinger
    GT Member
    EngineNo9 wrote: »

I had never heard of that game (or the studio, to be honest), but they have a history of doing well-made isometric games and that looks like it's keeping the spirit alive.
    One of my (far too many) Kickstarters and much anticipated. B)
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    I am ok with this. MS needs good RPGs and if they can keep their hands out of micromanagement of the studios it should be cool.
  • Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    Except that Microsoft has a history of acquiring companies and then ruining them over time. I hope they don't in this case, but I'm not holding out hope that they will leave these two companies alone to run truly independently. Obsidian in particular has had a hard time with game development schedules and running behind and over cost is not something MS is going to have much patience with.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Oooh, does this mean we will finally get a real cRPG featuring Clippy?
  • Dante Rising
    Dante Rising
    GT Member
    Wow, the amount of vitriol in various forums about this acquisition is unfortunate. I don't think people realize how difficult it has been for these studios to stay afloat. Living with the Sword of Damocles over your head becomes a constant source of anxiety for many small and mid tier developers.

I'm hoping MS allows for something like this:
    1) a smaller team can work on a moderately sized cRPG. So the next Pillars-sequel game wouldn't be 60 hours long, but instead a well structured 30 hours.
    2) Simultaneously, they can create a first person Wasteland game to "combat" Bethesda's Fallout series, and a first person Pillars game to go up against Elder Scrolls.

Both studios have excellent writing and world building experience, now it would be great to see them create a truly AAA game, like those at Bethesda or CDProjekt.

MS absolutely has more in mind for these two companies than what they have been able to create in the past.
  • Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member edited November 15
    I cannot see Microsoft allowing Obsidian to create cRPG games, as the market is too small for a player like MS to acquire a studio for games that produce such niche sales.

I actually feel that RPGs are coming back in style in a big way. First there was Skyrim which hit mainstream in such a way that an rpg hadn't in some time, and then Witcher 3. Makes me think MS wants to get in on the action of having RPGs in their catalogue. I don't think they've had any RPGs of their own ever since the last Fable, although I may be wrong on that.

The downside is that I keep thinking of Bungie. They were of course very successful for MS, essentially kickstarting one of their biggest franchises, but it literally was the only thing they were doing and eventually burned themselves out under MS. Thankfully, they were strong enough to avoid the usual pitfall of devs becoming extinguished after being purchased and managed to get back to being independent. I hope Obsidian doesn't get burned out to the point that MS decides they've outlived their usefulness and closes them.

And speaking of Bungie, I hope we get to see a new Myth game in the future.
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    Rumpy wrote: »
    And speaking of Bungie, I hope we get to see a new Myth game in the future.

Hell, I would take an updated version of the first two games.

• Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    I see that the rights belong to Take-Two and they did nothing beyond Myth III. If they really wanted to, Take-Two could contract Bungie to make a new game in the series. But yeah, the first two games would make for great remasters. They're unique games with lots of personality.