Red Dead Redemption 2 - catch all

farley2k
farley2k
Seems like a big release so maybe a catch all is called for.

Not my cup of tea but I do admit is beautiful

Comments

• Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    I am so looking forward to this.
  • Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    Same here. Perhaps my most-awaited game. I bought my PS4 about a year ago with the plan of playing this.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    From the reviews I think you will both be very happy.

My question is can I play as a good guy or do I have to be a criminal. I mean obviously I am a criminal but can I be the type with a heart of gold who rescues people, only steals from bad guys, etc.

• MonkeyFinger
    MonkeyFinger
    GT Member
    And if you were wondering, saw this today: Which console runs Red Dead Redemption 2 the best? I have a non-X Xbox One (last on the list) but getting this for my PS4 Pro. :)
  • Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member edited October 25
    farley2k wrote: »
    My question is can I play as a good guy or do I have to be a criminal. I mean obviously I am a criminal but can I be the type with a heart of gold who rescues people, only steals from bad guys, etc.

From what they've said in one of the gameplay trailers, the entire world reacts to your actions, good or bad, and that in turns shapes the kind of criminal you are; in other words, you can be a ruthless no holds barred type or an honorable criminal, and the npcs in the world will remember that.
  • Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    I have a non-X Xbox One

Sheesh, that's a mouthful to say! Doesn't quite roll off the tongue ;)

• farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    To answer my own question above

https://digg.com/2018/red-dead-redemption-2-reviews-is-it-good-rockstar-crunch
    The Game Wants You To Be Good — You'll Have To Work Pretty Hard At Being A Truly Scummy Outlaw
    In many ways, you're nudged toward playing a "good" Arthur. The gang members he's closest to from the beginning are the more righteous, principled ones who are motivated by loyalty and a desire to help others, while he insults, argues with, and generally reacts negatively to those who are hot-headed and vicious.

[Gamespot]

On a narrative mission, for instance, a desperate and wounded man might plead with you to let him go. Should you do so, the mission will end with a virtual slap on the wrist and a restart from a nearby checkpoint. That's not quite the wrenching moral choice it could have been.

[Ars Technica]

Playing through as a vicious monster is also possible, although it's not entirely clear to me whether there'd be some dissonance between that approach and Arthur's actual story. I still need to investigate further, but I'm really happy with how my playthrough turned out and the outlaw-with-a-soft-side Arthur I chose to inhabit.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Man, I really wish this game appealed to me, but for some reason horses and six shooters just doesn't excite me.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    EngineNo9 wrote: »
    Man, I really wish this game appealed to me, but for some reason horses and six shooters just doesn't excite me.

Same here. It looks incredibly beautiful and quite fun, but the setting just does nothing for me at all.
  • MonkeyFinger
    MonkeyFinger
    GT Member
    Gratch wrote: »
    Same here. It looks incredibly beautiful and quite fun, but the setting just does nothing for me at all.
    Dang, was hoping I could pick up your used copy next week. ;)
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member edited October 26

I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that possibility is not entirely out of the question. I have a bunch of trade-in credit at Gamestop, and was actually considering picking it up this afternoon. I know...I'm an idiot.

Whenever a game gets reviews that are that good, I have a hard time passing it up...even if it's something I don't typically enjoy. They still end up being a miss 80% of the time (most recently, Spider Man, AC:O, and Soul Calibur VI all clunked), but every once in a while there's one in an "off genre" game for me that just clicks and I end up loving it.
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member

I just posted the same thing over on OO. I think Gratch might be getting a bit of a reputation.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    coopasonic wrote: »

I just posted the same thing over on OO. I think Gratch might be getting a bit of a reputation.

Bad for me, good for you guys. :)
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member

Ditto for me too, but man those reviews sure make it hard to ignore.

I guess ultimately the little details that really sound fantastic on paper for a more "realistic" feel, I suspect would bore and annoy me in reality. Things like grooming and wearing the right clothes for the weather or not being able to bump into someone without a penalty, etc. I guess that's why I don't do too well with survival games either, the realism factors end up frustrating me.

Is there any type of "god mode" or "easy mode" where you don't have to worry about any of the details and can just roam the world killing whoever you feel like? That would probably be more fun for me lol.
  • naednek
    naednek
    GT Moderator
    coopasonic wrote: »

I noticed that years ago :P It's how I got Horizon :)
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Let's Play Red Dead Redemption 2

• Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    farley2k wrote: »
    To answer my own question above

Oh, to expand on your original question, here's something:
    From this article https://kotaku.com/tips-for-playing-red-dead-redemption-2-1830016535

To quote that article:
    To raise your reputation, go around greeting folks.

Arthur’s “honor” meter keeps track of whether he’s been a hero or a villain, and moves up and down based on your actions. Shoot some unarmed civilians or rob a stagecoach, and your honor may go down. Help someone out, and it’ll go up. Honor has a minor effect on the story, changing small things like Arthur’s journal entries and his dreams. I played the game through with a high level of honor and thought the story worked really well; I’m not sure what it’s like if you play as a jerk.

If your honor ever lowers more than you want, you can raise it pretty quickly just by walking around and greeting folks on the street. Every few people you greet, you’ll get a bit more honor. You’ll also get to hear some cool conversations, so, win win.
  • Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    Well, I bought my copy tonight at Walmart. I don't often buy games full price anymore, let alone release day, as they're quite expensive in Canada.

Just to give an idea: $79.96
    +13% HST- $10.39
    Total: $90.36

That's a fistfull of dollars! :o

I probably won't be getting to it for a while as I'm going through Fallout 4.
  • MonkeyFinger
    MonkeyFinger
    GT Member
    On the PS4 it's two disks. I'm now waiting for it to copy the last of the data files off the Play Disk having finished with the Data Disk. Total space requirements? 89.195GB :o Plus a ~3.5GB day one patch that downloaded and is waiting to install. It will be about a two hour process before I can finally play.

Guessing on the Xbox One it would only be one? Not that it really matters, it's just that it has been a heck of a long time since I remember having to swap in multiple disks during an install...
  • Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member edited October 27
    Guessing on the Xbox One it would only be one?

Why would it? They both use Bluray disks don't they? If that's the case, I'm not sure why it would be any different for either of them on the number of disks. I think we're just getting to the point where it's inevitable and RDR2 is a very large game with tons of detail. Heh, I thought we'd ended the two-disk thing when everyone stopped using DVDs.
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    My daughter walked in for the third time tonight while I was playing, stopped, then said, "Damn, they sure do talk a lot in this game.

It's true, every time she has walked in, I've been riding somewhere having a chat with someone. Rockstar is so good with the characters and worldbuilding that it doesn't matter much, but I had noticed the same thing not too long before.
  • MonkeyFinger
    MonkeyFinger
    GT Member
    Rumpy wrote: »
    Guessing on the Xbox One it would only be one?
    Why would it? They both use Bluray disks don't they? If that's the case, I'm not sure why it would be any different for either of them on the number of disks. I think we're just getting to the point where it's inevitable and RDR2 is a very large game with tons of detail. Heh, I thought we'd ended the two-disk thing when everyone stopped using DVDs.
    Well... because it has an 4K UHD Blu-ray player which are higher capacity and in googling around that goes up to 100GB depending on the format. Couldn't find anything specific on the MS site, however.
  • Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    Oh, I'd missed that part. I figured the disks were the same either way, but I guess that'd make sense. In that case, I'm surprised the PS4, at least the Pro version, doesn't use the UHD disks.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    Installing now, impressions later.

Sigh...
  • shon
    shon
    GT Member edited October 28
    Really enjoying the game. I didn't like the controls at first but after lowering the deadzone and upping aiming sensitivity it feels much better. I still don't like how much you have to hold down buttons for most actions as it gets tiring after awhile, just let me press the button.

The game is just amazing, from the graphics to the story, it feels like a Western simulator and I love it. If people are expecting action all the time then they will be disappointed, there are just long stretches of just riding your horse or just taking time to track and hunt animals.

Also, be careful looking in people's windows, you might see something you or they regret.
    q4ks15450y59.jpg
  • Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    Haha, I wonder if that's a reference to the hot coffee mod for GTA SA?
  • MonkeyFinger
    MonkeyFinger
    GT Member
    The controls are complex and different, just trying to "get your bow" off the horse on that first hunt wasn't intuitive for me, even with the prompting. Wait, was that tap, double-tap, double-tap and hold or just plain old hold? LOL Plus the menus seem to have things buried more than I was expecting... I wanted to save, is that under Progress or Player or Story... ah, there it is. It will get engrained in me over time but right now I'm going to do my 3x5 index card controls list thing I do sometimes - this time one for on foot, one for on horseback and one for in vehicle, it would seem.

As noted, beautiful and detailed. Was explaining to the wife that I need to hunt to feed myself and other folk, groom and care for my horse, rent a room in town, cart around gun cleaning supplies and otherwise live an outlaw life. She thought I was a bit crazy. :)
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    Quick impressions after a couple hours.

Good
    - Level of detail is absolutely incredible. Just riding around and seeing the world is worth the price of admission.
    - I really like the story and characters so far, and the voice acting and music are fantastic.
    - Missions have been interesting, although I sometime struggle figuring out exactly what the game is asking me to do.

Bad
    - Good lord, the controls are a complete gorram mess. Even simple actions require finger-twisting combinations of buttons, and remembering which "L1+R1+X+R3+spin around three times+say a prayer to the dark lord" combo accomplishes a basic task is becoming increasingly daunting.
    - After coming from games like AC:O, this main character controls like a lumbering tank. Maybe its intentional, but it's a jarring change.
    - Only been in a couple gunfights so far, but I have a hell of a time figuring out where the mobs are shooting at me from. This is a consistent issue I have with Rockstar games though, so I expected it.

I think the Kotaku review seems remarkably accurate, and this comment especially resonates with me:
    It is defiantly slow-paced, exuberantly unfun, and wholly unconcerned with catering to the needs or wants of its players. It is also captivating, poignant, and at times shockingly entertaining. It moves with the clumsy heaviness of a 19th century locomotive, but like that locomotive becomes unstoppable once it builds up a head of steam.
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    I agree with all of the gripes and the willingness to deal with them anyway.

I've been on the "good" path, as usual, but yesterday in Valentine, I went to greet a stranger on the street and shot him square in the back. I bolted out of town as various witnesses immediately had me on the Wanted list.

Later, I was stumbling along the long treck home after successfully hunting a massive elk (shortly after getting horrifyingly mauled in a half second by a charging Lengendary bear that I should have left alone for many, many hours) when I came upon a barn and a farmhouse. I thought there might be some good loot inside that barn, and it was late at night and the place seemed to be empty, so I poked around and found some decent items. As I walked out, a man started yelling at me. I tried to defuse the situation, but he decided shooting was a more American option, so I took him down. Then two other people started running away to get the police, so I had to shoot them. I tossed everyone into hiding places and went into the stables (where someone seems to have died on their wedding night...to a pig) then the house. There were a lot of dogs around, but they seemed to be leaving me alone. As I was poking around inside the empty house, I received an alert that someone had discovered a body (again, this was still late at night in the middle of nowhere). I walked outside and was immediately in a shootout with two more people. I went back inside to finish scouring the house. I walked out a remembered to deal with the bodies. As I was doing that, I thought I might have missed something inside, so I headed back to the front door when a man came out, armed to the teeth. Again, I tried to defuse, and again he shot me. He died, of course, and I threw his body inside. As I came back out, one of the numerous dogs decided now was the time to start gnawing at my ankle. I didn't feel like adding a dog to my list of dead on a farm I never should have visited, so I hopped on my horse and rode away.

I rounded a bend and got ambushed. As I fumbled with the controls to get a gun to hand, they shot me down. When I revived, I seem to have lost everything I'd plundered (for sure I lost the lovely elk hide that had been sitting on the back of my horse).

All of this, while improbable (where the hell did all these people come from in the middle of the night?), made for some excellent emergent storytelling, but I can't help but feel if I'd better known what I was doing, none of it would have happened.