Town of Salem

rittchard
rittchard
While reading the Survivor thread I started wondering (again) if anyone had ever made a successful Survivor-type game online. Or one that at least had some semblance of the backstabbing, alliances, etc. While nothing island-y came up, a browser based game called Town of Salem showed up. And as luck/fate would have it, it just released on iOS and Android as well.

So I fired it up thinking they'd do a tutorial, but it just threw me into a game with real people and I had no clue what was going on. Basically it's like one of those party murder games. You get assigned a role (good or evil) and then they go through a day/night cycle. Evil players' goal is generally to kill or subjugate everyone, good players need to expose all the evil players. There's definitely elements of lying and backstabbing involved, though not much in the way of alliances. You don't get much time to actually talk/socialize so that aspect doesn't seem to come into play much. Of course inherently the role you get puts you into an alliance with others, it's just you don't know for sure who is really with you.

All in all a pretty cool concept and it ran pretty smooth for an online game with total strangers. Would love to see someone develop something like this but with more Survivor elements.

Comments

• EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    That Town of Salem game is on Steam, and a few others kind of like it. There was a new game I Am Not A Monster that put a little more action spin on the concept.

Which elements of Survivor would you like to see in a game like that? More of the daily competitions and things? Backstabbing alliances? :tongue:
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member edited October 22
    EngineNo9 wrote: »
    That Town of Salem game is on Steam, and a few others kind of like it. There was a new game I Am Not A Monster that put a little more action spin on the concept.

Which elements of Survivor would you like to see in a game like that? More of the daily competitions and things? Backstabbing alliances? :tongue:

Yeah definitely the (backstabbing) alliances would be great, I just can't imagine how you could get them into a game meaningfully in a really short span of time.

Also some sort of competitions or puzzles or team v team type of content would be interesting. And then have those somehow influence the 'tribal council' - again keeping the pace quick enough seems like the hardest balance in a game like this. It has to be fast enough that the game can complete in a fairly short amount of time but slow enough so that people have time to develop some form of relationship, etc for an alliance or not. A backstab has no real value if it's someone you never had a chance to trust.