Weekend playlist - 9/28 edition

Gratch
Gratch
I'm working my way through the new Tomb Raider, but not very enthusiastically. It's just kinda 'meh...been there, done that already."

Oddly, reading a Star Wars book to my kids at bedtime the other day made me want to go back and give SWTOR another try. I've beaten the Sith Warrior story and started a few of the others, but never did get around to trying the Imperial Agent, which I've heard is one of the best. I have no real interest in the actual MMO aspects of the game (raids, dungeons, gear grind, etc.), but am certainly in the mood for a new Star Wars tale, and that seems like it will be the best fit.

Will also keep messing around with the new Nintendo IP on iOS, Dragalia Lost. Its a pretty basic gacha-style RPG, but the production values are typical Nintendo quality and the ARPG gameplay is quite fun. Doubt I'll stay with it for long, but it's certainly worth a look.

Also have the Amorphis/Dark Tranquility/Moonspell/Omnium Gatherum show tonight, Utah/Wazzu tomorrow afternoon, and an actual date with Mrs. Gratch (gasp!) on Saturday night. Busy weekend.

Comments

• Isgrimnur
    Isgrimnur
    GT Member
    I have to do a YouTube video for my business comm class, then start fleshing out the 20 page paper that's due in three weeks. And I'll probably shoot some Nazis in the head in Sniper Elite 3.
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    Forza Horizon 3 and some Spider-Man and maybe a little Black Desert Online
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    I played a few hours of Dakar 18, and despite not being super satisfied with the co-driver's timing and delivery I really like the game. I'm doing the career mode in a 4wd Mini Countryman, which is kind of easy mode

I also finally fired up Door Kickers: Action Squad now that it's in full release, and am quite enjoying that as well. I love shotgunning fools. :grin:
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member edited October 1
    Gratch wrote: »
    I'm working my way through the new Tomb Raider, but not very enthusiastically. It's just kinda 'meh...been there, done that already."

Oddly, reading a Star Wars book to my kids at bedtime the other day made me want to go back and give SWTOR another try. I've beaten the Sith Warrior story and started a few of the others, but never did get around to trying the Imperial Agent, which I've heard is one of the best. I have no real interest in the actual MMO aspects of the game (raids, dungeons, gear grind, etc.), but am certainly in the mood for a new Star Wars tale, and that seems like it will be the best fit.

Will also keep messing around with the new Nintendo IP on iOS, Dragalia Lost. Its a pretty basic gacha-style RPG, but the production values are typical Nintendo quality and the ARPG gameplay is quite fun. Doubt I'll stay with it for long, but it's certainly worth a look.

Also have the Amorphis/Dark Tranquility/Moonspell/Omnium Gatherum show tonight, Utah/Wazzu tomorrow afternoon, and an actual date with Mrs. Gratch (gasp!) on Saturday night. Busy weekend.

I'm all for making a game more accessible, but what they've done to SWTOR is just kinda sad. While the story is interesting, the game has no challenge at all. None. It's literally impossible for most mobs to kill you once you have a healer companion. My doorbell rang while I was mid battle with a pack of 5 mobs. I went upstairs, had a 15 minutes conversation with my neighbor, then came back down to see both my toon and companion still at 100% strength, and 3 of the 5 mobs dead from my companion's weak auto-attack. You occasionally go up against a "boss" who might knock down 5-10% of your health before dying, but even that is pretty rare. Even though I have a whole action bar full of skills, I've only used 3 of them throughout my 26 levels so far: one burst DPS, one AOE, and one standard attack. Those three skills kill literally everything. This is all while doing story missions only. I haven't touched a single sidequest or group dungeon.

Maybe it gets harder later on (and I'm sure the group and end-game content is more challenging), but the basic game isn't even really a game. You run from spot to spot, click on a doo-dad or take 20 seconds to kill some "boss", then advance to the next cutscene. It's more of a slightly interactive SW story than a game, and is kinda pathetic, really.

Messed around a bit more with Tomb Raider. Currently stuck on a battle with a bunch of dudes at a temple. Looks like it's supposed to be a "stealth" focused battle, but I can't figure out how the game wants me to poke around without getting seen. Add in the fact that it took away all weapons except my bow for this segment, and it's a recipe for frustration.

Turns out my tolerance for gacha games is now about...3 days. lol Dragalia Lost is sorta interesting, but probably not enough to keep me going with it.

So, another clunk of a gaming weekend for me. Add in a shitty Utah loss, a mediocre concert, and two kids with stomach flu, and this weekend just kinda sucked. Oh well... :(
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    coopasonic wrote: »
    Forza Horizon 3 and some Spider-Man and maybe a little Black Desert Online

Finished Spider-man (wow, great story), made good progress in Forza (level 40-something, 70-some cars, not sure what other metric matters) and abandoned BDO. I have better things to do!