[TV] Fall Season 2018

rittchard
rittchard
The "traditional" Fall season is pretty much upon us with the start of football and major shows tonight like Big Bang Theory and The Voice.

911 premiered last night with a pretty good opener that continues tonight with a big earthquake in LA.

For new shows, I'm interested in Manifest, which starts tonight, involving a plane that reappears after a number of years. I'm hoping for some Lost-like sci-fi twists, but I suspect it's something totally different. I'll also watch A Million Little Things, which sounds like a depressing drama, but has a cast I simply can't resist (the guy from Grimm, the guy from Office Space, the guy from Pysche, and Grace Park!).

Excited for This Is Us and The Good Doctor to return, and I'll probably give Survivor: David vs Goliath a chance.

How bout you all? Anyone still watching network television lol?

Comments

• Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    I'm all in for the new season of Survivor!
  • Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    I'd love to see a Survivor set in a snowy winter climate rather than the tropical climate we always get with this show. Would seriously change things up and offer up new challenges.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Rumpy wrote: »
    I'd love to see a Survivor set in a snowy winter climate rather than the tropical climate we always get with this show. Would seriously change things up and offer up new challenges.

oooh that's a great idea!!! Actually any non-tropical climate would probably make it more interesting. I think the Africa season was one of the most interesting partly because of how grueling it was. The problem is the production costs would probably skyrocket; I think at this point they are just reusing old sites and recycling a lot of materials to save money.

- - -

So far Manifest looks pretty interesting. I know a lot of press compares it to Lost, but aside from the mysterious plane theme there doesn't seem to be that much in common so far. In fact it's more like the opposite of Lost because the whole premise is that the plane is Found (5 years in the future) lol. With only one episode to judge, it's really tough to see where they are headed, but that's a good thing in this case.

• Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    rittchard wrote: »
    oooh that's a great idea!!! Actually any non-tropical climate would probably make it more interesting. I think the Africa season was one of the most interesting partly because of how grueling it was. The problem is the production costs would probably skyrocket; I think at this point they are just reusing old sites and recycling a lot of materials to save money.

I hadn't even thought about the cost, but that's true. In that case, maybe they could make it a one-off spinoff, or something they could return to sparingly to shake things up. Currently, it seems like the things they do to shake things up are the type of team themes and you can only go so far with that. Eventually they might want to experiment with different climates. The one reason I can think of why they haven't done that is the danger of frostbite. Well, anyone knows that winters can be fairly mild, and it's only when the weather starts to veer into the -30,-40's (Celcius) where you have to really start watching for it. You'd just have to limit everyone's exposure and give each team a cabin with a wood stove that they have to fuel themselves, and melting snow for water.

In terms of activities, well that's where I feel the game really opens up. There's a wealth of winter activities that could be integrated into their competitions from snowshoeing, skiing, skating, etc.
  • naednek
    naednek
    GT Moderator
    I thought 911 was in the 2nd season this year.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    I don't have cable so I'm not even sure what shows I'll be able to see on Hulu since many were cancelled or are on such weird schedules now.

I am watching The Good Doctor and caught the first episode of this second season last night.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    naednek wrote: »
    I thought 911 was in the 2nd season this year.

Oh yeah, I just meant second season premiere. Looks like the earthquake plot will last at least another episode or two.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    I'll also watch A Million Little Things, which sounds like a depressing drama, but has a cast I simply can't resist (the guy from Grimm, the guy from Office Space, the guy from Pysche, and Grace Park!).

I watched the first episode of this show and while it's good, and I agree the cast is amazing, I think it's a little too far into the depressing angle for me to keep watching. My life is depressing enough, I need some silly fun when I get home.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    EngineNo9 wrote: »
    I'll also watch A Million Little Things, which sounds like a depressing drama, but has a cast I simply can't resist (the guy from Grimm, the guy from Office Space, the guy from Pysche, and Grace Park!).

I watched the first episode of this show and while it's good, and I agree the cast is amazing, I think it's a little too far into the depressing angle for me to keep watching. My life is depressing enough, I need some silly fun when I get home.

I've really enjoyed the first two episodes; kind of depressing for sure but I'm intrigued enough to keep going. It's a little frustrating that Ron Livingston is the one who's dead, because I really like him. For me the standout has been James Roday. I loved Psyche when it first came out but after a while I kind of got tired of it, and it started feeling like he was a little too old to continually be a prankster. Here they've kept his charm but created a much more well-rounded, mature and complex character, and the actor is doing a great job with it. The interesting thing will be to see how long they keep the reasons for his suicide a secret/mystery, and whether or not the show can sustain itself without that plot lynchpin. I guess they are hoping you'll fall in love with the characters before that happens.

Manifest has also been pretty good thus far. The premise here is much broader and mysterious than Million, and it looks like they are going the conspiracy/coverup route, along with some sort of mystic or sci-fi elements. Hopefully they can maintain the intrigue.