Telltale Games and Capcom Vancouver closing

EngineNo9
EngineNo9
Well, it was a shitty week for west coast studios.

First Capcom announced they were closing their Vancouver studio (that developed Dead Rising 2-4) earlier this week after layoffs this spring as well:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/326795/Capcom_shuts_down_Dead_Rising_developer_Capcom_Vancouver.php

And now today Telltale Games is essentially closing, laying off 225 of 250 employees with the last skeleton crew just hanging around for a few months to wrap up the final season of The Walking Dead and cancelling other in-progress games. Even shittier is that it was done with no notice and no severance. :angry:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/327085/Report_The_Walking_Dead_developer_Telltale_Games_closing_down.php

Sad season for devs and gamers alike.

Comments

• EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Update on this, apparently the Walking Dead team was part of the layoffs and the final season wont' be finished. At least by that company. :dissapointed:

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/report-telltale-games-shutting-down-the-wolf-among-us-2-and-stranger-things-canceled
  • Dante Rising
    Dante Rising
    GT Member
    This is heartbreaking for me, as I am adore telltale games. But I guess in retrospect I'm part of the problem. I would always wait until the end of the season before buying the game, and added to that I would always wait for a sale . I guess this is a warning sign to everyone that enjoys niche games or smaller developers. If you don't support them in the beginning they can't be there for you in the end. It's a shame that the last season of The Walking Dead will not be completed. Many people, including myself, we're highly invested in the characters the telltale games brought to life.

Even though it was never announced, I was hoping for a third Batman game. They did a marvelous job with that universe and the development of the Joker was absolutely excellent.
  • MonkeyFinger
    MonkeyFinger
    GT Member
    Now I'm wondering if I need to make sure I've downloaded and stashed away everything I've purchased from them...
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Now I'm wondering if I need to make sure I've downloaded and stashed away everything I've purchased from them...

Yeah, I was double checking that I owned some of their older games on Steam, so that they're at least in my library before they are taken off sale (assuming they are).

It's doubly weird to me because I just posed 2 new trailers from Telltale Publishing this last week (Stranded Deep and RGX Showdown) so no idea if that side of the business is also closing down or what.
  • Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    Shame about Telltale, but it's not entirely surprising. I'd often wondered just how long their gameplay style could be sustainable for, given that they really hadn't changed much of their formula. We can count two different distinct eras of Telltale: 1) their point-n-click adventure era, 2) their interactive storybook era, both of which used an increasingly aging game engine. I wondered how long they could keep going on.
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    I'm a bad supporter as well, though after the first couple I stopped getting excited about them. I still have the first batman and the third walking dead sitting in my "to play" list but there is always something else that I would rather be playing. They weren't must plays for me so I could wait until they were completed and buy them super cheap.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    That's so weird, I honestly thought people loved the Telltale games and that they were selling well.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    I always wondered how profitable they were, since they seemed to rely heavily on licensed properties so that extra cost (and potential IP conflicts/limitations) couldn't have made things any easier on the production.
  • Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    rittchard wrote: »
    That's so weird, I honestly thought people loved the Telltale games and that they were selling well.

People obviously did, but I don't think their games sold well enough to recoup the costs involved with the IPs, and that's pretty damning when you consider it's all they really did. Although I read that they were on the cusp of working on their own IP and slowing down their production schedule. Too little too late, basically. I think they'd have been better served by a business model that was half their own IPs, half licensed material. They instead seemed to go full-bore on licenses after the success of BTTF which they claim was their most successful game. So, curiously if TWD S1 was their next success with the other WD seasons not being successful, why did they not return to BTTF? They seemed to continue down the same road that wasn't working for them, apparently mandated by their previous CEO.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Well, I guess at least the final season of The Walking Dead game will get finished (although the rest of Telltale has been let go):

https://kotaku.com/skybound-will-finish-telltales-the-walking-dead-1829579540