Weekend playlist - 9/21 edition

Gratch
Gratch
edited September 21 in Video Games
I'm in that weird spot (again) where literally nothing I'm playing is clicking for me. Shadows of the Tomb Raider is decent, but it all feels very much "been there, done that". My restart of Divinity OS2 has been bogged down in massive quest overload. The new Spiderman did absolutely nothing for me. Dragon Quest XI clinging to tired old-school JRPG tropes feels stale. Grabbed The Gardens Between (based mainly on GT's glowing review) last night and while it's kinda interesting, I'm not nearly as enthralled with it as Kay was. I'm struggling to figure out why everyone was so gaga over Into the Breach, as it just feels very dull to me. Dead Cells as a cool aesthetic, but playing through the same sections over and over (and over and over and over) again gets pretty boring. Fired up Blade & Soul for the first time in ages to try out the new Warden class, but don't think I have the patience for that grind.

It's a dangerous spot for my wallet to be in, as I try to find something that I can really sink my teeth into. Bard's Tale IV looks kinda interesting, but some of the feedback about poor performance and absurd load times give me pause. If I don't end up with that, I'll probably just keep plugging away with Tomb Raider.

Also seeing the Pallbearer/Tribulation show Saturday night, which I'm hugely excited for. :) What's on tap for you?

Comments

• damphyr
    damphyr
    GT Editor
    Sorry Gardens didn't grab you the same way it did me. :( Lemme ask this--what's the last game (or two) that really did grab you?

I've been in that same spot before, usually it's because I'm looking forward to a new game coming out and nothing else is quite scratching that itch XD
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    damphyr wrote: »
    Sorry Gardens didn't grab you the same way it did me. :( Lemme ask this--what's the last game (or two) that really did grab you?

I've been in that same spot before, usually it's because I'm looking forward to a new game coming out and nothing else is quite scratching that itch XD

I'm just in a really weird spot with gaming in general these days. Between a bazillion work, travel, family, and social obligations, I typically get very little gaming time. As a result, I have exactly zero patience to figure out games that are overly complex, no tolerance for grind or busywork, and I tend to throw in the towel at even the slightest roadblock. I'm super picky to begin with (as most people here know) and am also very easily distracted by new shinys, so keeping focus on one game for long periods of time is difficult. Completing even a "short" 20-30 hour game usually takes me a month or more. So I end up playing a ton of different games for between 6-8 hours, then ditching them for something that I think might be more interesting. My games finished vs. games ditched ratio is embarrassing.

TL;DR version: It's not the games, it's me. :(

The last game I really enjoyed was Assassin's Creed Origins. I'm sure I'll get the new one when it comes out, but it's not something I'm really dying to play. Before that, I enjoyed both Skyrim and ESO. Battle Chasers was fun, but got too difficult. Divinity OS2 started out really strong, but the massive sidequest explosion when I got to Driftwood broke my brain.

I'll probably either just stick with Tomb Raider or go back to Monster Hunter World at this point.

• rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Haha Gratch, I literally have not "finished" any game I can think of in many years so my ditch ratio is probably way worse. Although I guess it depends on how you define finished since so many games these days are not even designed to have an ending.

Anyway, I'll probably be playing WoW this weekend, as well as NBA 2K19 on the Switch. I have to check out Star Control too.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    rittchard wrote: »
    Haha Gratch, I literally have not "finished" any game I can think of in many years so my ditch ratio is probably way worse. Although I guess it depends on how you define finished since so many games these days are not even designed to have an ending.

Yeah, I've been trying to shift my paradigm a bit when it comes to "finishing" games. Rather than seeing the credits roll, I want to feel like a game "clicks" (difficult to describe, but we all know the exact feeling), and I want to feel like I got my money out of it. My problem lately has been that even when a game does "click", that feeling doesn't stick around for more than a few hours.

I absolutely loved Dead Cells...for the first 20 runs. Then it became tedious. I loved Divinity OS2...for the first 12 hours. Then the quest log exploded and felt completely overwhelmed. I loved WoW...for the first 35 levels. Then the endless grind and shitty PUGs set in. Etc., Etc.

It doesn't need to be super long, I just really want a game keeps that feeling of enthusiasm and energy throughout, and am having a hell of a time finding it.
  • damphyr
    damphyr
    GT Editor
    I know those feels so well. At one point I was in such a rut and unable to find anything that clicked that I downloaded 20-odd free to play MMO's just to see if THOSE would inspire me, somehow. XD

I wish you luck!
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    damphyr wrote: »
    I know those feels so well. At one point I was in such a rut and unable to find anything that clicked that I downloaded 20-odd free to play MMO's just to see if THOSE would inspire me, somehow. XD

I wish you luck!

I suppose this is a good a time as any to mention that I've also re-installed and rolled new toons in Neverwinter, Tera, Blade & Soul, Black Desert Online, WoW, and Skyforge in the past month. :s
  • Isgrimnur
    Isgrimnur
    GT Member
    Working on my Project/Business Comm homework tonight so I have tomorrow free for whatever grabs me.

Sunday is supposed to be a day at the water park. It's rather rainy, so at least it won't be 90+. I'm still taking sunscreen.
  • shon
    shon
    GT Member
    My Hawaii vacation is coming to a close so I'll be playing something on the plane ride back on Monday.

The Messenger started out great then it got pretty hard with some long times before checkpoints so my goings is slow there. Dead Cells I play for 3-4 runs then quit as I don't want to get burnt out.

I also for reason downloaded Kingdoms of Amalur and may give that a chance again.
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    I've put some good time into Spider-Man and I am enjoying that though the combat kicks my ass sometimes. I also reinstalled Black Desert Online for some reason. I only made it to level 15 previously before getting confused and walking away. I am 35 now and have a little more of an idea what I am doing, but not much more, really. I'm just having fun with it. Funny thing is that apparently there is some system that gives you money over time and apparently my long break in the game didn't slow that system down. I had 200 million silver waiting for me in my in-game email. To a level 15 character, that's a metric ton...I mean literally, money has weight in this game.
  • MonkeyFinger
    MonkeyFinger
    GT Member
    Shadow of the Tomb Raider for me.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    I've been having the trouble of no game really keeping my interest, so yesterday I just did a quick spin of some Battle Royale games.

Ring of Elysium has some fun new traversal mechanics and seems surprisingly polished for a game that just came out. But it's by Tencent so they have a history with online games (and PUBG in particular) so maybe not so surprising.

Zeus' Battlegrounds (closed beta) tends towards much closer encounters, which is a nice change. But I'm not sure the actual combat felt good enough to really stand out.

Dying Light: Bad Blood isn't exactly a "Battle Royale" per se, but takes the fun of Dying Light into competitive multiplayer. I think it just made me realize I'd rather go back and play the single player version...

Fractured Lands is in a free weekend but still continues to be low population. I like the idea of a Mad Max wasteland battle, but in the end it all kind of comes down to the same thing.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    Gratch wrote: »
    I'm in that weird spot (again) where literally nothing I'm playing is clicking for me. Shadows of the Tomb Raider is decent, but it all feels very much "been there, done that". My restart of Divinity OS2 has been bogged down in massive quest overload. The new Spiderman did absolutely nothing for me. Dragon Quest XI clinging to tired old-school JRPG tropes feels stale. Grabbed The Gardens Between (based mainly on GT's glowing review) last night and while it's kinda interesting, I'm not nearly as enthralled with it as Kay was. I'm struggling to figure out why everyone was so gaga over Into the Breach, as it just feels very dull to me. Dead Cells as a cool aesthetic, but playing through the same sections over and over (and over and over and over) again gets pretty boring. Fired up Blade & Soul for the first time in ages to try out the new Warden class, but don't think I have the patience for that grind.

It's a dangerous spot for my wallet to be in, as I try to find something that I can really sink my teeth into. Bard's Tale IV looks kinda interesting, but some of the feedback about poor performance and absurd load times give me pause. If I don't end up with that, I'll probably just keep plugging away with Tomb Raider.

Also seeing the Pallbearer/Tribulation show Saturday night, which I'm hugely excited for. :) What's on tap for you?

I stuck with Shadow of the Tomb Raider this weekend. It's a decent enough game, but I still can't shake the MOTS feeling. Also seems weird that I'm 10 hours in, and the primary villain has appeared for maybe 2 minutes. Makes the whole thing feel a little disjointed.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    I alternated between Spider-man and the new Tomb Raider. It was very nice to have two great games to play.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Gratch, just curious with WoW, did you play the new expansion content? I feel like they did a really good job with the new content that takes you from 110-120, and after that, the so-called "endgame" has plenty of options for solo or small group players, non-raider, non-hardcore players, etc. I should probably write something up in the WoW thread...
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    rittchard wrote: »
    Gratch, just curious with WoW, did you play the new expansion content? I feel like they did a really good job with the new content that takes you from 110-120, and after that, the so-called "endgame" has plenty of options for solo or small group players, non-raider, non-hardcore players, etc. I should probably write something up in the WoW thread...

Nah, I started from scratch. I never use level boosts unless I'm already very familiar with a game's basic mechanics and structure, as trying to figure out WTF is going on at max level has never worked for me. Plus, there's always that expectation that you should know what's going on, even if you're a actually a total noob.

I usually get the urge once or twice a year to give WoW another go, so I'm sure it'll come around again.