Amazon New Device Release Madness

rittchard
rittchard
Amazon just released a bunch of new Alexa devices for the home:

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/09/20/amazon-reveals-new-alexa-speakers/

or just head straight to www.amazon.com

Unlike Apple, who would have hyped the crap out of one or two of these things, they are apparently shooting them all out at once and seeing what sticks. Little speakers, big speakers, a subwoofer, a car version, smart plugs, a freaking MICROWAVE oven lol, they are really all over the place.

In my house, they are fighting with Apple for total domination but presently still have a commanding lead.

I went ahead and preordered the new Show. I seem to be one of the few people who really like that device, but I honestly think it's the most useful. The sound is decent, the screen size is good, and having screen feedback is really a great feature which they've barely tapped the surface of. One of my favorite things is when you play most songs the lyrics will just pop on screen to help you sing along. Originally I had planned to use them to help link my family together for easy video chat, but that has kind of fallen by the wayside due to my own laziness. Instead I'm using it as a generic Echo - but because of the screen it feels like a much more useful companion device. It will offer suggestions on the screen (non-obtrusively) for commands you may not have known about, and has other uses such as when you order something it will ask you to touch the exact version if there are multiple choices.

I also signed up for the little car device. I don't know if I'll actually get it but it's really cheap so it might be worth a try.

How about the rest of you? Anything catch your attention?

Comments

• farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    None of them blew me away but I did buy a couple smart plugs recently and it is quite nice to just walk in and say "alexa turn on the living room lights." (since they are plugged in) and have the room lit up.

I can see getting more.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    No, I guess none of them look super new or interesting to me. I'm not sure what they would need to add to make it "must have" for me.

At this point I am actively getting rid of any "smart" device if I don't use it. I had a Google Home Mini that I got as a gift last year, but after having it actively say some super creepy things from clearly listening ot me I unplugged it and haven't used it since.

I never really used it for anything other than trying to get it to play the music I wanted, but it was still pretty terrible at actually recognizing and playing anything other than random stations (rather than my uploaded music).