Dragon Quest 11 catch all

farley2k
farley2k
I saw the first couple reviews of the English release and thought we should have a thread!

Dragon Quest XI: The Kotaku Review

Dragon Quest 11 review - Polygon

Comments

• uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager
    You're missing one

Mike Dunn
    Executive Producer & Editor-at-Large
    GAMING TREND

• Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    I was planning on skipping this, as I’ve never been a huge DQ fan.

The positive reviews and the fact it looks amazing have changed my mind. I think it’ll be a day 1 purchase now.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member edited August 29
    Those graphics look fantastic and the reviews make it sound like something I'd love. Or at least in my imagination I'd love. It also sounds like something at 90-100 hours that I would never get close to finishing. I couldn't even finish reading that Kotaku review lol. I have so many JRPGs that I started and never got far with, no matter how much I enjoyed them at the start. Maybe I'll try something different and get it for the PC this time.

Edit: what the heck this is coming out next Tuesday??? Also it looks like you can get it for 25% off for PC at Green Man Gaming, sorry if someone already posted that.

Edit2: and now it's pre-ordered, damn you forum effect :s
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    I’ll be going in with very few expectations of actually finishing it, especially if it’s actually the reported 80-100 hours. There’s very little these days which keeps my attention for that long.

Also just remembered that Divinity 2’s ultimate edition comes out tomorrow. Might wait on DQ XI until after I finish up with that one.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator edited August 30
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    I finally finished reading (most of) the Kotaku review. I think it was worth purchasing the game just to have a better connection to that review. This guy reallllly loves his DQ, perhaps a bit too much. He's already played the Japanese version of this game for 300 hours! But maybe because of that love, the review is extremely well written and insightful in ways that I doubt many other people could duplicate. It's also interesting to read the Polygon review first, because it's much more negative. But the things it criticizes are echoed in the Kotaku review, but treated as positives. The difference in perspective is really interesting.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Dragon Quest XI Is Full Of Quality Of Life Adjustments
    Perhaps the most basic quality of life change is the way Dragon Quest XI lets you deal with enemies in the field and even avoid them, if you do not want to deal with a few random battles. There is the basic means of launching a possible early attack, which has you striking with the sword to trigger a fight. After reaching the desert region, you will get access to a crossbow that allows you to provoke an enemy from afar, allowing you to draw a specific foe to you. When all that gets to be too much trouble, you can always dash to avoid foes or use a bell in the field to summon a horse with a much faster gallop. It really can make traversing the sometimes large spaces between towns or dungeons easier. (Though, you can rely on Zoom once you have acquired the spell and visited towns.)
    The camps are another fantastic element. In the field, you might find a campfire. Stopping by it allows you to rest, changing the time of day and restoring characters’ status. The campground also allows you to sometimes buy items from a shopkeeper, which can be helpful if you are running out of healing items or a Chimera’s Wing. There is a goddess statue, so you could save or handle important affairs away from town. These tend to be strategically places, so they often appear in the exact midpoint between important spots. Dragon Quest XI even takes the time to place some ahead of bosses.
    Another quality of life element I like a lot is the ability to easily assign and reassign skill points. As I mentioned when I talked about we can 16 comments, I mentioned that every church or goddess statue offers a respec option. These places to stop and take a moment are everywhere. It means you can play around with builds to see what works best with you, without having to worry about being penalized or locked into a certain skillset. Also, since multiple characters share certain weapons, you can have a stockpile of equipment for when you swap. The hero uses greatswords and swords. Erik uses swords and knives. Sylvando uses swords, knives, and whips. Veronika uses whips and heavy wands. Rab uses the same sort of heavy wands as Veronica and claws as Jade. Jade uses claws and spears. Serena uses light wands and spears. The overlap lets you play around.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    rittchard wrote: »
    I finally finished reading (most of) the Kotaku review. I think it was worth purchasing the game just to have a better connection to that review. This guy reallllly loves his DQ, perhaps a bit too much. He's already played the Japanese version of this game for 300 hours! But maybe because of that love, the review is extremely well written and insightful in ways that I doubt many other people could duplicate. It's also interesting to read the Polygon review first, because it's much more negative. But the things it criticizes are echoed in the Kotaku review, but treated as positives. The difference in perspective is really interesting.

That was an interesting comparison. The Kotaku guy is obviously a DQ super-fan, but it sounded like the Polygon guy wasn’t even a fan of JRPGs to begin with. Neither is probably the best person for the review, tbh.

While I skew more towards the former as a big JRPG guy, the DQ series is always hit and miss. Interested to see how his one fares, when I do finally get around to it.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    What I like about having a superfan do a review is that you can get interesting insights and historical background that a regular reviewer (or general player) wouldn't have. And if for some reason even a superfan who is ready to fall in love doesn't like a game in his series, you can generally bet it's really bad.

It may not match my perspective so much, but I definitely prefer that over someone who isn't even into the genre. Always bugs me with movie reviews too.
  • YellowKing
    YellowKing
    GT Member
    Just a quick first impression on the PC version after about an hour of play - super polished, fantastic visuals, controller support works like a charm, and I'm loving it. It's old school JRPG mechanics with a 2018 aesthetic, which is about as perfect a game for me as you can get.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member edited September 4
    You don’t happen to play via Steamlink? Deciding between PS4 and Steam versions, and hoping it plays nice so I can Play it on the big screen.
  • YellowKing
    YellowKing
    GT Member
    Sorry Gratch, don't have Steamlink.

Couple more thoughts:

Love the little "ease of use" things they put in to make the old JRPG mechanics less of a grind:

- Approaching townspeople automatically pops up their dialogue if they are only flavor text. No more pressing A for every single citizen you meet.

- Overworld monsters can be fought, avoided entirely, or surprised depending on how you want to appraoch them. Monsters that are much weaker may run and hide from you.

- Combat is fast for a turn-based system. While the fun combat animations are still there, you never feel like you're waiting around for them to finish.

- Plot point characters are clearly marked on the map so if you ever get lost at what to do next, just talk to the person with the pink bubble.

These all seem like minor things, but they really add up over time to make the game so much more enjoyable.

I also love the fantastically detailed towns - I'm a player who typically HATES JRPG towns and having to run around and talk to people, but I actually enjoy it in this game due to the beautiful environments and aforementioned ease of "common folk" dialogue. Plus they hide little treasures everywhere, so exploration is often rewarded.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    11 Tips For Dragon Quest XI

• Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    Wow, that tips guy's voiceover is terrible. He's both too articulate and too casual. He's also nowhere near as clever as he thinks he is.

Tips are decent, at least.
  • shon
    shon
    GT Member
    The best feature of the game an auto run button.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    I only got a really brief look (PC version) but the animation was fantastic. Unfortunately I was distracted by some interface things because I don't have a controller set up (yet). The keyboard interface is not at all intuitive, and all of the instruction presumes you have a controller. Not a big deal at all, just something I have to fix before I (re)start. The stupidest thing I did was name my save game ABC because I thought it was asking for a save name, not a character name. So all the subsequent text called me ABC lol. It was actually pretty funny but I don't think I could tolerate 90 hours of it :)
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    While I probably won't jump into it in earnest for a while, I went ahead and picked it up last night and played through the first couple hours. I went with the PC version, which is a significant departure from the norm for me. Happy to report that the PC port is excellent, the graphics are superb, and it works flawlessly via Steamlink. My only gripe is that there doesn't seem to be any way to change it from Xbox controller button prompts (X, Y, Rb, etc) to PS4 controller prompts. That's pretty standard with most games these days though, and is a minor issue.

I've always been more of a Final Fantasy than a DQ guy, but really enjoyed DQ VIII, which this game seems to be most similar to.
    The stupidest thing I did was name my save game ABC because I thought it was asking for a save name, not a character name. So all the subsequent text called me ABC lol. It was actually pretty funny but I don't think I could tolerate 90 hours of it :)

LOL, I did the exact same thing!

• coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    I only got a really brief look (PC version) but the animation was fantastic. Unfortunately I was distracted by some interface things because I don't have a controller set up (yet).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CZTVHY8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

$25 for a knockoff xbone (amazon basics, so not a total no name) controller

This is on my list, but I am kind of torn between nostalgia and old school rpg fear... I was a DQ guy instead of a final fantasy guy so this should be right up my alley, but I am afraid nostalgia is making it sounds better than it really is. The comments about quality of life improvements are pulling me in even more.

I think I will hold off for now as pretty much all of september is spoken for, but we'll see...
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    lol Gratch, that made me feel better!

I know there's a menu where you can customize the controls, either for keyboard or for what X/Y etc do. But maybe that wasn't what you were looking for?
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    I know there's a menu where you can customize the controls, either for keyboard or for what X/Y etc do. But maybe that wasn't what you were looking for?

He's using a PS4 controller and the game is giving xbox prompts. That's part of why I bought the amazon basics xbone controller.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    I'm about 10 hours in. A few thoughts:

- Story is interesting enough, but just barely. It mostly just feels like one big JRPG cliche, but the characters have enough personality to keep things moving.

- While DQ 11 looks really good, it also feels very...sparse. In it's defense, the last two games I played (Monster Hunter World and AC Origins) were both extremely detailed games with lots of freedom. DQ XI - with it's very minimal detail and invisible walls - is simply a very jarring change.

- Character models and animations are superb, but the music is disappointingly average. Voice work is good (especially Sylvando), but Erik's accent really bugs me, for some reason.

- Combat is the exact same thing we've seen in DQ games for 30 some odd years now. How much that style appeals to you will largely determine whether or not you'll enjoy this game.

- Not too crazy about the whole "Pep" mechanic. If there were some sort of gauge that tells me how close each character was to triggering Pep status, then maybe it could be used strategically. As is, it feels frustratingly random. For example, I've got two quests which ask me to use a skill that requires three separate characters to be in Pep status at the same time. It's been hours now, and that has yet to happen.

- I didn't notice any difficulty level settings when I started the game, so I assume I'm playing on Normal. The biggest challenge is balancing how many enemies you fight vs. skip. Fight too many, and the grind becomes a chore. Fight too few, and you'll be underleveled. I haven't quite found that sweet spot yet, and have needed to grind levels a couple times to get past bosses.

I'd give it maybe a 7/10 so far. I like it, but don't really love it. Hoping the story gets a little more interesting, as I can't imagine the combat and scenery alone are going to keep me engaged for 80'ish hours.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    13 Tips for Beginners to Dragon Quest XI