What are you buying this week? (August 26, 2018)

EngineNo9
EngineNo9
There are several good releases this week across all platforms, so it's starting to feel like the fall season is heating up despite no huge names.

And if you're into PSVR it seems like you've got quite a few choices this week. Though I don't actually know anybody who has one of those.

Big Names
Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate
Pro Evolution Soccer 2019
Strange Brigade

Genre Gems
Bad North
Donut County
Gun Godz
The Messenger
Shadows: Awakening
Two Point Hospital
The VideoKid
Warhammer: Vermintide 2 - Shadows Over Bögenhafen DLC
Yakuza Kiwami 2

Port Haus
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition (PS4)
Fire Pro Wrestling World (PS4)
Mini Metro (Switch)
Victor Vran - Overkill Edition (Switch)
Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor – Martyr (XB1/PS4)

Notable Early Access
Fear the Wolves
SCUM
Switchblade
The Universim

And the whole list:

PC
Adera
Aggressors: Ancient Rome
Ammo Pigs: Armed and Delicious
Apocalipsis: One Night in the Woods DLC
Blade Strangers
Contraption Maker: Mighty Knights Parts & Puzzles Pack DLC
Donut County
Gene Rain
Gun Godz
Hero of the Kingdom III
The Messenger
Naruto to Boruto: Shinobi Striker
PROZE: Prologue (VR)
Rigid Force Alpha
Shadows: Awakening
SpaceBourne
Strange Brigade
Switchblade
Tank Mechanic Simulator
Torn (VR)
Total War Saga: THRONES OF BRITANNIA - Blood, Sweat and Spears DLC
Touch Down Football Solitaire
Two Point Hospital
Warhammer: Vermintide 2 - Shadows Over Bögenhafen DLC
The VideoKid

Xbox One
3on3 FreeStyle
Amnesia: Collection
Bad North
DayZ (Game Preview)
NBA 2K19: The Prelude
Rocket League: Ultimate Edition
Shikhondo: Soul Eater
Splash Blast Panic
Strange Brigade
Twin Robots: Ultimate Edition
The VideoKid
Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor – Martyr

PS4
Bad North
Blade Strangers
Bow to Blood (PSVR)
Catch & Release (PSVR)
Claybook
Donut County
Downward Spiral: Horus Station (PSVR)
Fernz Gate
Fire Pro Wrestling World
Firewall Zero Hour (PSVR)
Gate Of Doom
The Golf Club 2019 Featuring PGA Tour
Haunted Dungeons: Hyakki Castle
NBA 2K19: The Prelude
Pato Box
Shikhondo: Soul Eater
Splash Blast Panic
Strange Brigade
Sunless Sea: Zubmariner Edition
Switchblade
Think Of The Children
Torn (PSVR)
Viking Days (PSVR)
Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor – Martyr
Yakuza Kiwami 2

Switch
Blade Strangers
de Blob 2
Freedom Planet
Haunted Dungeons: Hyakki Castle
Instant Tennis
The Messenger
Mini Metro
Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate
Realpolitiks
Victor Vran - Overkill Edition
The VideoKid

3DS

Vita
Fernz Gate (Cross Buy)
Tagged:

Comments

• jztemple2
    jztemple2
    GT Member
    Well, I was going to consider getting Aggressors: Ancient Rome, but if Two Point Hospital is coming out, I'll probably grab that one if first impressions are favorable.
  • MonkeyFinger
    MonkeyFinger
    GT Member
    I guess it's a Rebellion week for me - pre-ordered Strange Brigade earlier and also picked up the full Sniper Elite 4 package for 70% off on a PSN sale so should be good. I think. :/
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    I'm getting Strange Brigade, and very curious about Shadows: Awakening, The Messenger and Two Point Hospital but I'll be waiting to see the verdict(s).
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    I'm very interested in Strange Brigade. Waiting for reviews or impressions (post 'em!), but it's probably likely.

Curious about Donut Country and maybe Golf Club 2019 (although the last one was less interesting than the first).
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    I watched a half hour of the first mission of Strange Brigade and found it pretty uninteresting, but I don't really need another co-op shooter and I don't see much more to it than that (I mean other than the puzzle-y bits ripped straight out of God of War).

I'll be checking out Two Points Hospital but unlikely to buy unless I am supremely impressed. Good games are coming and I am not getting bogged down if it's not great.

Speaking of not great, I picked up Elex over the weekend and have been having a lot of fun with that. It's very much in the vein of Gothic and Risen games as you might expect, but this one has caught my attention more than the Risen games ever did.
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    I watched a half hour of the first mission of Strange Brigade and found it pretty uninteresting, but I don't really need another co-op shooter and I don't see much more to it than that (I mean other than the puzzle-y bits ripped straight out of God of War).

I'll be checking out Two Points Hospital but unlikely to buy unless I am supremely impressed. Good games are coming and I am not getting bogged down if it's not great.

Speaking of not great, I picked up Elex over the weekend and have been having a lot of fun with that. It's very much in the vein of Gothic and Risen games as you might expect, but this one has caught my attention more than the Risen games ever did.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    I'll likely try out Victor Vran on the Switch as long as reviews say the control scheme is sound. I almost grabbed Titan Quest again but it seemed like it hadn't been ported very effectively.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    I picked up Yoku's Island Express yesterday. Having spent hundreds and hundreds of hours with digital pinball over the years, I really want to like it more than I am. Played a couple hours last night, and mostly just came away annoyed with how it's structured.

Also grabbed a horror-themed Bomberman clone on Switch called Brawl. It got mediocre reviews, but was only $.99. Will give it a shot on the plane today.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    coopasonic wrote: »

Yeah, I was kind of on the fence based on the videos I had seen but then I heard the Giant Bomb guys kind of mentioning it last week that they were having a lot of fun with it and it was surprisingly polished, so I decided to just take the jump.

I had hoped Earthfall would be a good modern Left 4 Dead replacement, but it's a bit too barebones so maybe this one will do the trick.

That's great to hear! I did pick this one up a while back when it was on sale but haven't started it yet. I had hoped that this long after launch they had fixed up any bugs and things that tend to come with their games. I really need to dig into it, maybe this upcoming long weekend.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    rittchard wrote: »
    I'll likely try out Victor Vran on the Switch as long as reviews say the control scheme is sound. I almost grabbed Titan Quest again but it seemed like it hadn't been ported very effectively.

Definitely bring back some impressions if you give it a try! That kind of direct-control ARPG seems like a great fit for a console, and as long as the Switch version runs well that seems like a great holdover until Diablo 3.
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    EngineNo9 wrote: »

That's great to hear! I did pick this one up a while back when it was on sale but haven't started it yet. I had hoped that this long after launch they had fixed up any bugs and things that tend to come with their games. I really need to dig into it, maybe this upcoming long weekend.

Please note how my comment started, "Speaking of not great". The game has some tragic issues, but somehow it was way more fun than it should be. Technically the game has issues and the melee combat implementation is really pretty bad, but I guess I can ignore a lot if the world interests me.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member edited August 31
    I picked up Into the Breach for Switch.

It's been a solid meh so far. I'm utterly failing to see what all the hype was about.