Favorite Developers?

Dante Rising
Dante Rising
edited July 16 in Video Games
I'm curious to know which developers are your favorites. By this, I mean developers that have always (or almost always) knocked it out of the park for you, and you are thus willing to buy their newest games based upon pedigree alone.

Here are mine:

CDPROJEKT RED: I've loved this developer since their release of the rather clunky original Witcher, to the stunning work on The Witcher 3. I'm 135 hours in to that title, and I've barely scratched the surface of the DLC. Cyberpunk 2077 looks to be even grander, so I'm a day-one customer. This developer is growing by leaps and bounds, and they show their community a great deal of respect.

NAUGHTY DOG: These guys really know how to push Sony's hardware. uncharted is my favorite series on the PlayStation, and Nathan Drake is my favorite character from any of their exclusive titles. I'm sorry to see it put to rest, but the Last of Us was another title I enjoyed, and the sequel looks to be even stronger.

LARIAN STUDIOS: This developer is new to my list. Some of their older titles are hit-and-miss for me, but Divinity Original Sin was superb, and Divinity Original Sin II was even better. I can't wait to see what they do next.

And taken OFF the list:

BIOWARE: A studio that once upon a time did no wrong in my eyes now stumbles, trips and falls with every step they take. They butchered Dragon Age, and possibly killed Mass Effect. Some may blame EA, but that is irrelevant for this conversation. I now wait for reviews of Bioware products. Anthem will either restore my faith, or turn them into a 2nd rate Bungie clone.

Comments

• coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    Game by game basis, pretty much always. I barely have a concept of which developer made which game outside of Blizzard. No dev gets a free pass from me. I can't think of any exceptions.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Yeah, unfortunately most of them that I would have considered in the past have either sullied their reputation or put out games so rarely that I just take each as it comes.

Maybe Bethesda is the closest these days, but even they are really testing me with the announcement of Fallout 76. :unamused:

Any new game from Avalanche (makers of Just Cause and Mad Max) probably gets a buy from me, even if Mad Max didn't get widespread love.

I'd say Undead Labs, but they've only put out two games in the same series, so it's not like they are pumping out new property or anything.

And I guess places like Playground Games that always makes a new Forza Horizon. They're good but predictable.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    Despite some missteps, I'm still willing to give any JRPG from Square Enix the benefit of the doubt (yeah, I know...publisher, not developer).

Shocking, I know. :)