(Switch) Octopath Traveler

Gratch
Gratch
Anyone else picking this one up tomorrow? Reviews have mostly been good/very good, with a couple exceptions (the Kotaku guy apparently hated it).

Really looking forward to this old-school JRPG. Everything about it looks awesome...can't wait to give it a shot.

Comments

• coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    Gratch wrote: »
    Everything about it looks awesome...

I am not sure that is the specific phrase I would use.

• Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    coopasonic wrote: »
    Gratch wrote: »
    Everything about it looks awesome...

I am not sure that is the specific phrase I would use.

Just my initial impressions from what I've seen on the story, graphics, combat. music. characters. and art design elements. They all appear to be right up my alley, but I suppose we'll find out tomorrow.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    I love this genre and the demo was fun but I have to much in my backlog and I just bought toad trasure tracker...so I am going to wait on Octopath.

• Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    Played the first few hours, and my first impressions are hugely positive. The combination of retro and modern graphics are stunningly beautiful, the music is incredible, the stories of the different characters are interesting (played through the first chapter of the Hunter and Cleric so far), and the combat is really strategic and interesting. It does a great job of hitting the nostalgia button while seeming very fresh at the same time.

I didn't try the demo (the next RPG demo to make me interested in a game will be the first), and was coming in almost entirely cold. So far, I've been wildly impressed. My only minor gripe would be for a better mini-map in the dungeon areas. It can get rather easy to get turned around.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member edited July 14
    Picked up my third character this mornin (Scholar). Kinda wishing I hadn’t started with the Hunter, as I don’t really enjoy her monster collecting mechanic.

Since your starter character is the one that will always be in your party through the entire game, I’m considering restarting with a different class. We’ll see.

EDIT: Scratch that. Read a couple guides that talked about how the Hunter is actually one of the most flexible character in the game, and always a good one to have. While I’m not crazy about collecting monsters, I’m starting to see the wisdom in having her in the party.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Octopath Traveler’s extreme Middle English is stumping players

I was very, very annoyed by the language in H’aanit's section. It was just horrible. I am glad I am not alone.

DiQRDZEV4AAHKcJ.jpg
  • MonkeyFinger
    MonkeyFinger
    GT Member
    Yeah, that's the one I started with and while not being stumped at all it just seemed... excessively overdone. :/
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    I'm about 14 hours in, and have completed Chapter 1 for each character. A few thoughts:

The good:
    1. One of the most beautiful games I've ever played. The combination of old-school and current graphics are wonderful. It uses soft focus better than anything I've seen before. Simply wonderful.
    2. Music is brilliant as well. I haven't heard a piece yet that didn't perfectly match what was going on in the game. Very well done
    3. The stories are all quite interesting, at least through the first chapter. Definitely wants to make me keep playing to see what happens.
    4. The battle system is fantastic. Reminds me a lot of Bravely Default, where you can boost actions for additional damage or effect. Makes for some very interesting strategic combat. However...

The not-so-good:
    1. ...since you're forced into using specific characters to complete story missions, all those strategies you've carefully lined up might go out the window because you have to use two warriors, two healers, etc. Which also becomes a problem because...
    2. ...the grind is freaking real. You've got 8 characters, but only take 4 in a party at a time. The not in your party get no XP at all. So when you want to jump into the story of a character you haven't used in a while, you'll have to grind them up, often from 10-12 level below where the rest of the party is. Or you can constantly swap out characters and try to level them all evenly, but that leads to a party that is underleveled overall.
    3. The balance seems to be a little bit off. As I was going through all the Chapter 1's, I used a standard party of Hunter, Cleric, Mage (which were the first three characters I picked up), then whichever character's chapter I was doing filled out the 4th spot. So I've had those three primary characters with me through most of my 14 hours. I finished all the Chapter 1's at around Level 19 (with the 4th character lagging behind at 10)...and the lowest Chapter 2 started at level 21. I've been grinding for a couple hours, and am just now getting to the point where I can take it on. I'll have to grind all over again with another 4th character once this Chapter is complete.
    4. I wish there was more interaction between the characters/stories. Each one feels entirely self contained, with no connection between them. Maybe that will change, we'll see.

Overall, it's a solid B+ game right now. It perfectly scratches the itch of old-school meets current gen, and really is a blast to play. There's some balance issues that I'm struggling with, but overall, it's a fantastic game.
  • MonkeyFinger
    MonkeyFinger
    GT Member
    Silly question perhaps. I finally got some time to spend with this and I went through with my first character to where the others show up on the map. Do you add them to your party one at a time by travelling to where they are or will I get a chance to pick another one to play separately until all have been 'introduced'? I'm guessing the latter since you said you were "going through all of the Chapter 1's" but wanted to double-check. Thanks!
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member edited July 27
    Silly question perhaps. I finally got some time to spend with this and I went through with my first character to where the others show up on the map. Do you add them to your party one at a time by travelling to where they are or will I get a chance to pick another one to play separately until all have been 'introduced'? I'm guessing the latter since you said you were "going through all of the Chapter 1's" but wanted to double-check. Thanks!

Correct. You travel to the new character's location and go through a story portion, followed by a dungeon and a boss. Once complete, that character can join your party. You can switch out characters at any inn.

I hit a massive difficulty spike in my first Chapter 2 (Therion). While all the basic mobs in the dungeon have been a breeze, the boss is brutal. The recommended level is 22, and I have a party that are all level 22-24 with appropriate level gear...and the boss is absolutely destroying me. He's got 25K HP, and comes with two henchmen with 7,500 HP each. Even in "Break" status, my party of Hunter, Mage, Healer, and Thief can't do more than 200-300 damage to them. Since the boss and each of the henchmen can wipe any of my characters in 2 hits, I simply can't survive long enough to take out even one of them. I'm sure there's a specific trick or strategy to defeating them, but damned if I figure out what it is.

This brings up one of the nagging issues I'm having with this game. Let's say the trick or strategy is using a specific skill or elemental strength from one of the other 8 characters. Because of the way the game is structured, I would need to spend between 2-4 hours grinding levels for other characters before any of them would be leveled high enough to take on this boss. While I like the game, I'm not sure I have the patience to do that.

If non-active party members gained at least a portion of the XP active party members receive, it would make a huge difference in making the game balanced. As it is, I'm staring down a huge grind to get over this hump, which makes me lose interest pretty quickly.
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    So you are saying it is not just the graphics that are retro.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    Yeah, the grind just feels...excessive.

Not sure if it actually is, or if I just have far less patience for that these days. Probably both.
  • MonkeyFinger
    MonkeyFinger
    GT Member
    Thanks for the information Gratch. I'm not all that into "grindy" games so unclear exactly how far I'll get with this but at least I'll be using my Switch. ;)
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator