(Switch) Octopath Traveler

Gratch
Gratch
Anyone else picking this one up tomorrow? Reviews have mostly been good/very good, with a couple exceptions (the Kotaku guy apparently hated it).

Really looking forward to this old-school JRPG. Everything about it looks awesome...can't wait to give it a shot.

Comments

• coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    Gratch wrote: »
    Everything about it looks awesome...

I am not sure that is the specific phrase I would use.

• Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    coopasonic wrote: »
    Gratch wrote: »
    Everything about it looks awesome...

I am not sure that is the specific phrase I would use.

Just my initial impressions from what I've seen on the story, graphics, combat. music. characters. and art design elements. They all appear to be right up my alley, but I suppose we'll find out tomorrow.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    I love this genre and the demo was fun but I have to much in my backlog and I just bought toad trasure tracker...so I am going to wait on Octopath.

• Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    Played the first few hours, and my first impressions are hugely positive. The combination of retro and modern graphics are stunningly beautiful, the music is incredible, the stories of the different characters are interesting (played through the first chapter of the Hunter and Cleric so far), and the combat is really strategic and interesting. It does a great job of hitting the nostalgia button while seeming very fresh at the same time.

I didn't try the demo (the next RPG demo to make me interested in a game will be the first), and was coming in almost entirely cold. So far, I've been wildly impressed. My only minor gripe would be for a better mini-map in the dungeon areas. It can get rather easy to get turned around.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member edited July 14
    Picked up my third character this mornin (Scholar). Kinda wishing I hadn’t started with the Hunter, as I don’t really enjoy her monster collecting mechanic.

Since your starter character is the one that will always be in your party through the entire game, I’m considering restarting with a different class. We’ll see.

EDIT: Scratch that. Read a couple guides that talked about how the Hunter is actually one of the most flexible character in the game, and always a good one to have. While I’m not crazy about collecting monsters, I’m starting to see the wisdom in having her in the party.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Octopath Traveler’s extreme Middle English is stumping players

I was very, very annoyed by the language in H’aanit's section. It was just horrible. I am glad I am not alone.

DiQRDZEV4AAHKcJ.jpg
  • MonkeyFinger
    MonkeyFinger
    GT Member
    Yeah, that's the one I started with and while not being stumped at all it just seemed... excessively overdone. :/