What are you buying this week? (July 8, 2018)

EngineNo9
EngineNo9
edited July 9 in Video Games
Tagged:
And we now return you to your regularly scheduled game releases!

After last week had basically nothing, there are several interesting games hitting this week. Any catching your eye (and wallet)?

Big Names
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Defiance 2050
Earthfall
Octopath Traveler

Genre Gems
Danger Zone 2
The Free Ones
Project Highrise: Brilliant Berlin DLC
Prototype Mansion - Used No Cover
Rifter
Shining Resonance Refrain
The Spectrum Retreat
Warhammer 40,000: Gladius - Relics of War
X-Morph: Defense - Survival of the Fittest DLC

Notable Early Access
Headsnatchers
Icons: Combat Arena
Islands of Nyne: Battle Royale

And the whole list:

PC
Cricket Captain 2018
Danger Zone 2
Defiance 2050
Earthfall
Epic Loon
The Free Ones
Ghostly Matter
Hotel Transylvania 3: Monsters Overboard
Indie Pogo
Insane Robots
Mars or Die!
Muddledash
Project Highrise: Brilliant Berlin DLC
Prototype Mansion - Used No Cover
Rifter
Slash or Die 2
The Spectrum Retreat
The Spiral Scouts
Super Destronaut DX
Touhou: Scarlet Curiosity
Warhammer 40,000: Gladius - Relics of War
X-Morph: Defense - Survival of the Fittest DLC

Xbox One
20XX
Bomber Crew
Danger Zone 2
Defiance 2050
Earthfall
Gekido: Kintaro’s Revenge
Ghost 1.0
Insane Robots
MXGP Pro
The Spectrum Retreat
Super Destronaut DX
Warhammer: Vermintide 2

PS4
20XX
Blacksea Odyssey
Defiance 2050
Earthfall
Insane Robots
MXGP Pro
The Spectrum Retreat

Switch
20XX
Another World
Bomber Crew
Danger Zone 2
Darts Up
Epic Loon
Express Raider
Fill-a-Pix: Phil’s Epic Adventure
Ghost 1.0
Holy Potatoes! A Weapon Shop?!
The Lion’s Song
Muddledash
NeoGeo The Super Spy
Neverout
Octopath Traveler
Pato Box
Radio Hammer Station
Rento Fortune Monolit
Star Story: The Horizon Escape
Super Destronaut DX
Super Volley Blast

3DS

Vita

Tagged:

Comments

• EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    I'll probably pick up Danger Zone 2 since I love Burnout's Crash mode and this looks closer than the last.

I have Earthfall already from Early Access, so this full release should be a good time to go back to it.

Keeping an eye on Rifter and Mars or Die!. Wait-and-see for Defiance 2050.
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    Vermintide 2 is free with Game Pass, so that (I would have picked it up anyway).

I'm also keeping an eye on Danger Zone 2. Like Engine said, the first one wasn't quite what I wanted, so hopefully this one gets closer.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    Used the trade-in credit from my WiiU to pre-order and pay Octopath Traveller in full. Really looking forward to that one.
  • Dante Rising
    Dante Rising
    GT Member edited July 11
    I grabbed Octopath Traveller. It looks wonderful, but I'm concerned that the storylines will not mesh into one grand saga. I seem to be losing my interest in JRPGs, but I hope it is just a passing malaise. JRPGs have been an important part of my life for so long that I would hate to see myself move away from them. But the last few I've played have not held my interest past the halfway mark. Still haven't touched Persona 4 or Final Fantasy 15, so maybe I've been playing the wrong titles.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    I'm also tempted by Shining Resonance Refrain, especially after reading the GT review. Probably not this week, but it's definitely one I'll check out soon.
  • EddieA
    EddieA
    GT Member
    Way too much this week - I bought Shining Resonance Refrain and Octopath Traveler, got Vermintide 2 and Bomber Crew from Gamepass, and I'm trying out the F2P Defiance 2050 and Icons : Combat Arena. There's also a bunch I'll get eventually - Danger Zone 2, Hero-U, Insane Robots, and Warhammer 40,000: Gladius - Relics of War.
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member edited July 14
    Did anyone pick up Danger Zone 2? (Engine, I'm looking at you)

Destructoid had the first review, and it was bad enough to put me off, but now IGN and 6th Axis have me wondering again...

Impressions would really help!
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member edited July 14
    Bullwinkle wrote: »
    Did anyone pick up Danger Zone 2? (Engine, I'm looking at you)

I did!
    Impressions would really help!

I'll try to post some later tonight, assuming I get some time to play this evening.

• EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Ok, initial impressions of Danger Zone 2 from less than an hour of it is that 1) it is an improvement on the first and 2) it's still not amazing. If you can deal with some annoyances you'll find some of the old Burnout Crash mode to enjoy.

The big improvement from the first game is that this one obviously takes place outdoors. No more of the same old boring virtual garage environment. But even more importantly, no more worrying about falling off the track and having your whole run invalidated!

Unfortunately they seem to have doubled down on the long run-up to the crashes, rather than the "crashes-as-puzzle" and quick restarts that I would prefer. It's nice that there are little secondary objectives in that run-up, but most of them are "Crash X number of a certain type of car" before you hit the Danger Zone and cause the pileup. Since it's optional you can ignore it, but since that's part of your score you kind of have to pay attention to it. Which sucks when you needed to crash 22 cars in the run-up and only get 21 before unknowingly being in the Danger Zone.

Which leads me to the fact that there is an "X yards to the Danger Zone" countdown in the upper left, but it's just boring white text and so out of the way that I never see it. And once you are in the Danger Zone any car you touch immediately crashes you, even if it's the same kind of shunt you've done to dozens of cars leading up to that point.

Damage is still basically cosmetic textures only, along with doors and trunks opening up. It's not terrible, but you're not going to see a Wreckfest level of deformation here, or even old Burnout-style of cars falling apart.

Oh, but there is Burnout-style boost. But only sometimes? In levels they want it to be there? Whatever I guess, but that inconsistency seems weird. And you do drive different cars, but you never get to select it yourself, which also partially defeats the purpose of having them. Half of the puzzle fun of the old Crash modes was finding which car you had unlocked would do the best.

And there is not much of any unlocking here. No new cars, customizing, skins, or anything else progression-wise. Hell, there isn't even music or even audio options to turn the sound down/up. It's just getting medals to unlock the next track. It's pretty barebones in a way that would have been more expected in the earlier XBLA days and not in a $20 sequel these days.

In less than an hour I got about halfway through the available levels. There are 4 sets of 7-8ish levels and I'm about to unlock the last of the 2nd set. Not sure on the total number, to be honest, but it's clearly not a ton. The replayability here is for those who want to go back and get Gold/Platinum on all of the tracks. Which would be more fun for me if it the most annoying part wasn't the long run-up to the big crashes and was more about timing and lining up your crashes.

So anyway, get it if you got some enjoyment out of the first Danger Zone, it's a decent improvement. But don't expect a mind-melting perfect modern Burnout Crash replacement. *shrug*
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Oh, and I haven't read any reviews yet, so no idea if I'm way off on my impressions. Take them for what they are, one person's view and opinion.
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    From the reviews I've seen, you don't seem too far off, though some people seem to like the long run ups (I'm pretty sure I'd be in your camp on that).

Sounds like it's a "wait for a deep sale" kind of thing, sadly.