The Crew 2 by Ubisoft

jztemple2
jztemple2
edited June 25 in Video Games
I'm starting this thread since the game releases at 12:01 am tomorrow for Gold Edition owners, and early on June 29th for others.

Ubisoft has posted a couple of articles on The Crew 2 news feed of interest, Activities and Events in The Crew 2 and Leveling and progression in The Crew 2.

Comments

• jztemple2
    jztemple2
    GT Member
    So I've put in about ninety minutes in the released game, which means I'm just seeing what I saw in the closed and open beta. But things seem to be working properly (this is on the PC) and the game is fun, at least for me. No glitches or problems right now.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    jztemple2 wrote: »
    So I've put in about ninety minutes in the released game, which means I'm just seeing what I saw in the closed and open beta. But things seem to be working properly (this is on the PC) and the game is fun, at least for me. No glitches or problems right now.

Woo, good to hear! I wasn't sure if there would be major problems on launch because of it being an online game, but maybe they have learned a few lessons over the years.
  • jztemple2
    jztemple2
    GT Member
    I put in several hours this afternoon and have advanced to Star level. Lots of new activities have been unlocked. I also just participated in a pretty cool race. Normally races are 2-3 minutes long, sometimes maybe up to five. This one was the first really long, cross country race. It was a spec race on Harleys, riding from Las Vegas to Yosemite. It took over twelve minutes, which is quite a long time when you are hanging on for dear life, trying to navigate the checkpoints and trying to stay ahead of the seven other competitors. Lots of fun.

Overall the game is working very well, no odd issues or problem. I haven't raced any MP at all and in fact haven't seen a way to initiate or join an MP race. Either I'm clueless on how to do this or maybe it's not going to be available till the general release. It's not a big deal to me anyway right now.

If folks have questions, please post them.
  • Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    I've only played the demo on PS4 and the one thing that was a dealbreaker for me was the horrible dialog with the cheesy extreme sports bro talk. Seriously, I could not stand it at all. I take it the actual game still has the terrible cut scenes and dialog?

Aside from that, I did like the flying the best. The boat racing was kind of meh and the car racing felt way too arcadey.
  • jztemple2
    jztemple2
    GT Member
    You can skip most videos. I'm not sure about the other commentary, I'll check the settings to see if there is an option. It does seem that there is less of it as the game progresses.

I agree about the flying, it is surprisingly satisfying. There are several disciplines that didn't show up in the beta that are fun.
  • jztemple2
    jztemple2
    GT Member
    And I checked the settings and yes, you can turn off the voices. I played that way for awhile and verify that there was no annoying chatter. The commentary does show up as a subtitle, but it's fairly small and easy to ignore.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
  • jztemple2
    jztemple2
    GT Member
    For those interested, here's a google docs list of all the vehicles in the game, the link comes from a Steam guide here.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    I was able to fire this up for a tiny bit over my lunch break, and it seemed fine if not really grabbing me yet.

I only had time to do that first intro thing and then one offroad race, but the ground vehicles definitely felt...heavy or something. Not super easy to get the rear end out, which kind of reminded me of some NFS games that I wasn't too fond of.

Does anyone know if they have the different physics profiles like they did in the last one? In The Crew you could select Arcade, Sport or Simulation as well as tuning several individual variables to get the feel down for your tastes, and I really liked that.
  • jztemple2
    jztemple2
    GT Member
    I haven't seen any mention of alternative physics. I'll check later on tonight.
  • jztemple2
    jztemple2
    GT Member
    So, after 14 hours, some more impressions and questions answered.

First, no, there are no different physics settings, like Arcade or Sport or Simulation. Just the default one, which is sort of Arcade-like I guess. For me it feels OK. It's not Forza, which is my benchmark of simulation. But it's not cheesey feeling, you do get rewarded or punished for good or poor driving. Like most of these types of games, the walls don't cause you any damage, just slow you down, so it's part of the driving style; if you come into a corner too hot, you can try to just scrape the wall to save it.

This version of the game has lost a lot of the exploration aspects of the first game. IIRC, the first game had landmark symbols you could hunt for, find and see a short presentation on the history or significance of that particular location. There is none of that in this version. Also while there are a lot of familiar objects in the world, like the Golden Gate bridge, the Las Vegas Strip and Times Square, a lot of the rest feels rather generic.

Since you can use the menus to find any racing activity you want, the only game driven reason to drive around is to find Live Reward boxes. These have loot, or I should say, Loot. Loot are upgrades to the seven performance areas of your vehicle, like gearbox or brakes, or in the case of boats, like throttles and props. Same for aircraft. You get loot for successfully completing activities, like placing in the top three of races or getting the required number of points in an aerobatic event. And you can also get Loot by finding these Live Rewards out in the countryside. So that's a motivation to drive, or boat, or fly around.

The other motivation is to take Photos of specific locations or events or animals or situations. You can find these using the menus but I found it more fun and less frustrating just to drive around, waiting for a popup that lets me know there is a photo opportunity nearby.

I'd say the big appeal of the game is all the various disciplines:
    Street Racing Family
    -Street Race (SR)
    -Drift (DF)
    -Drag Race (DR)
    -Hypercars (HC)

Offroad Family
    -Rally Raid (RR)
    -Motocross (MX)
    -Rallycross (RX)

Freestyle Family
    -Acrobatics (AB)
    -Jetsprint (JS)
    -Monster Trucks (MT)

Pro Racing Family
    -Powerboats (PB)
    -Touring Cars (TC)
    -Air Race (AR)
    -Alpha GP (A)

You get several unlocked at the beginning, and the rest unlock in a few hours as you level up. I've found that some disciplines are harder than others, but between upgrades, difference vehicles within the same discipline and practice, I haven't found any that I can't beat, well at least the introductory ones of each discipline.

• EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    OK, so the game can at least run pretty decently on my laptop, which is nice.

Is there no way to actually bring up a menu in the game? Like to exit and stuff? I was expecting Esc to do something like most other games, and even just hitting keys all over my keyboard, and I could find no way to just quit so I had to Alt+F4. What am I missing?
  • jztemple2
    jztemple2
    GT Member
    F10 brings up a small menu which has the Exit option. Really odd decision to put it there. I was using a controller and the "Back" key brought up a menu with a lot of game options, including settings.

After eighteen hours I've uninstalled. It just has a number of issues to address to make it more fun, so I'll wait.