ONRUSH [PS4, XB1, PC]

Bullwinkle
Bullwinkle
After reading the great reviews, I picked up ONRUSH last week, and I have to say that I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

It's very arcadey, along the lines of Split/Second or Blur, but it's also completely different than any arcade racer that's come before. First of all, you're never trying to win a race. In fact, being at the head of the pack is a distinct disadvantage in most events.

This game is all about ramming your opponents. It actually requires some active reskilling because in most racers, even the Burnout series, you're trying to avoid other vehicles (with the occasional sideswipe), but in this one, you have to actively seek them out. There are generic cars and bikes on the track, and your brain will tell you to slide by them, but you actually have to take them out to increase your boost. Boosting is key in the game. Without it, you won't get anywhere near the opponent vehicles you need to go after. Also, each car has a unique Super Boost ability that you can trigger after you fill up a meter.

The cars and bikes are unique in other ways, too. Each has its own special way of earning extra boost. Each is better at something than the others, too. And they all look different. If there's one complaint I have about the game, it's that there isn't really enough time to read what each car does when you're trying to get back in the race, so you kind of have to know them all. Or not, as I find a lot of times I can just wing it with any vehicle and do okay.

This game is quite accessible. Even a totally unskilled player can feel like they're contributing to the team in meaningful ways. But, yeah, the folks who know what each vehicle does backwards and forwards are going to have an advantage.

A quick mention of one of my favorite moves. When you go off a ramp, you can either wait and hit boost right as you land for some extra boost, or you can hit it mid-air, and if an opponent is below you, you'll target them and crush them when you land, knocking them out (one of the cars is even better at this move than the others).

There's a nice variety of events, too. Your team can knock out the most opponents to earn the most boost, your team can try to occupy a moving zone, you can try to race through the most checkpoints, or there's the event where everyone starts on bikes and switches to more powerful vehicles when they get knocked out with the goal being on the team with the last person in a lower-tiered vehicle.

There's an amped up energy to the proceedings. The best players in different categories get to dance at the end. There's a ton of vehicle and driver skins to unlock, along with stunts (for the bikes), dances, banners, grave markers, etc.

Really, I haven't had this much fun with an arcade racer in a long time (which may be apparent from this rambling write up). Give it a try!

Comments

• MonkeyFinger
    MonkeyFinger
    GT Member
    Dammit, Moose, knock it off. Wallet no take much more. :/
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    Sorry! If it helps, you don't have to get the Deluxe version, I don't think. There seem to be plenty of skins to unlock in the game without it.

Also, I think GreenManGaming has it on sale for PC and PS4 (with a code).
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Unfortunately it's not out on PC yet. Sometime later this year. :dissapointed:
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    That's why there are no PC reviews yet!

Also, it looks like that GMG code is over, so MF, you have your excuse for not jumping in.
  • MonkeyFinger
    MonkeyFinger
    GT Member edited June 22
    Thank goodness. While the write-up and the Blur mention had me interested, didn't realize it was a $60 game. Maybe a future sale...
  • EddieA
    EddieA
    GT Member
    If you have PS+, it's on sale on PSN for $36.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Apparently this didn't sell very well, as Codemasters has laid off a lot of the team that made it (who were picked up after they were laid off from Evolution Studios...).
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    That makes me sad.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    It looks like this is free to try out on XB1 for the weekend, so might be a good chance to give it a try for anyone on the fence.
  • MonkeyFinger
    MonkeyFinger
    GT Member
    I did give it a try on my XB1 and definitely see the Motorstorm heritage (something I played the crap out of on my PS3) with something like Blur spliced in. Fun. They really push the "it's not about finishing first" mantra because that's your first instinct and to do well you really can't worry about that. Unsure how long the "try it free for a limited time" offer lasts, anyone know? Guess I may find out when I crank it back up tonight.

Definitely sucks about the lack of sales and the team getting purged. Still a bit on the fence because of my backlog, we'll see. Hasn't stopped me before, obviously. ;)