[movies] Avengers: Infinity Wars (NO SPOILERS)

Blackjack
Blackjack

So I didn't think I could catch this Thursday night but got a late, 2nd row ticket for a 7:30 p.m., packed, sold-out crowd. Good thing was this theater sets the rows way back from the screen so it didn't feel too close.

Bad thing is I have a stiff back this week (turning 53! this week), and this theater was 'old' stadium-style, and man I was stuck between people like a lettuce wedge. =)

Generally I had a blast. Infinity Wars is surprisingly funny, and the feel to me is -- for better I think but maybe worse if you didn't like the Guardians films -- like the Guardians, and the Iron Man character, in that everyone is quipping funny lines throughout much of the movie. And the audience ate it up. To the point that I missed many dialogue lines.

I'm used to Thursday night crowds for blockbusters sometimes being subdued. Like there were stronger crowd reactions for opening weekend shows for Black Panther and Wonder Woman, then when I saw the Thursday night openings.

But man, the crowd was really into Infinity Wars. Lot of reasons to applaud/cheer. Neverending action set pieces, lots of variety. ILM at its best. At least one or two I think new FX things that I predict will become vastly overused by other movies in the coming years.

And I felt like one character never quite fully coming across as dynamically as in the comics -- finally gets some moments that had our audience cheering. =) And I found Thanos more compelling in this than in his brief appearances in earlier movies.

I worried that the scenes with mass CGI would leave me cold as many of the big battles in Justice League did, but imho there's strong enough characters and personalities in this to still feel invested even when the mass CGI battles threaten to take over the movie.
====================
I won't recap the movie at all (I get frustrated so many movie reviews are like 80% recapping the whole movie; I mean, let the audience experience the details imho). I'm a fan but I really knew next to nothing going into the movie, and I think for the first viewing that really paid off. I'm catching it again tonight, and there's a few key scenes I hope to be able to better hear in the smaller (spaced-apart reclining seats) theater I'm seeing it again tonight. :)
========================
As far as cons go. Yeah I just don't think anyone can mush this many characters, set pieces, storylines, etc. into a 2 1/2 hour movie and really do everything justice or give everyone equal time to shine. I will see this a few times but I think my heart will always belong to movies focused on one super hero or one SH and his/her supporting friends (Iron Man, the first two Captain America films, Wonder Woman, The Dark Knight) than "hey let's FILL THE SCREEN with super heroes."

Everyone gets their Moments, but really only a few characters get any real meaty story to tell (I won't say who). I don't know any way to avoid that situation short of doing a 4 hour movie or telling it as some sort of Netflix 10-12 episode arc. It's just some of my favorite characters essentially have little to do besides punch and/or shoot and yell a few lines -- I would've said the same thing about Justice League's use of Wonder Woman and Batman.

But maybe I carp. I had a great time. I didn't hate Justice League but had little desire to ever see it again. With Avengers Infinity Wars, I can't wait to see it some more. :)

Tagged:

Comments

• farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator edited April 12
    April 27th can't get here soon enough so I thought we should have a thread

What You Need To Know Before You See Infinity War

• rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    I got tickets like a month ago, bring it on!!!!!!!!
  • JCC
    JCC
    GT Member
    I am positively giddy for this. Though, I hate crowded theaters, so it will probably be a month or more after release that I see it. I wish I could just buy the Blu-Ray up front - even if it was for a premium price.
  • JCC
    JCC
    GT Member
    I am positively giddy for this. Though, I hate crowded theaters, so it will probably be a month or more after release that I see it. I wish I could just buy the Blu-Ray up front - even if it was for a premium price.
  • Harkonis
    Harkonis
    GT Member
    you know this forum is dead when the last post for a movie this huge was 13 days before it released. Movie was awesome fwiw
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    Going at 11am. Took my kid out of school for her birthday, and she was floored. Very excited.
  • katamaris4ever
    katamaris4ever
    GT Editor
    I accidentally spoiled myself looking for Gaming Trend stuff, oddly enough. However, I just finished reading Infinity Gauntlet, and boy howdy, this one looks amazing. Would you say this was more lighthearted than say, Civil War or Thor: Ragnarok? Considering what happens at the end, I was thinking it would be a tad more serious.
  • TheEgoWhip
    TheEgoWhip
    GT Member
    I accidentally spoiled myself looking for Gaming Trend stuff, oddly enough. However, I just finished reading Infinity Gauntlet, and boy howdy, this one looks amazing. Would you say this was more lighthearted than say, Civil War or Thor: Ragnarok? Considering what happens at the end, I was thinking it would be a tad more serious.

How could it be more light-hearted than Thor:Ragnarok???

Saw it at an early show today and, I really liked it. Hard to give equal screen time to this many characters, but I liked that everyone seemed true to form. The point of all those solo movies was to make all the quick comments, short scenes, and dramatic events hit home. Everyone's backstory and character building is already done, this movie was the payoff.
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    Yeah, I didn't agree with Blackjack's comment that this was a funny movie in the Guardians vein at all. There are definite laugh out loud moments (which has always been true of these movies), and a lot of them come from knowing the characters well (I really enjoyed watching Dr. Strange and Stark exchange arrogance quips), but on the whole, this movie is a decidedly somber affair with a lot more slower moments than people would maybe expect.

To be clear, I don't mean "slow" in a negative sense at all. I think the movie earns those beats and that it breathes with them.

And I also don't mean it isn't fun. It's a blast, and I loved it. But, you know, it made my kid cry for an extended period (she also loved it).
  • Harkonis
    Harkonis
    GT Member
    there are funny bits, but the tone of the movie is dark, sinister, and hopelessness. Definitely not in the same vein as Thor or Guardians other than the way it embraces being a comic book
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    https://destructoid.com/the-impact-of-avengers-infinity-war-is-undone-by-marvel-s-inability-to-keep-its-mouth-shut-500680.phtml

I had this same thought, watching through the end of the film.
    The undermined impact is the one big negative I have. I'm not sure that even a lack of knowledge about Spidey, Panther, and Guardians sequels would lessen the notion that obviously not all of those people are going to remain dead. So, really, the only impact is watching the effect it has on other characters. Also, the post-credits scene helps, as it shows the cataclysmic result of the finger snap with helicopters crashing, fires starting, and mass hysteria ensuing. It's going to be a rough world. I just hope the solution isn't in the Time Stone. If they simply rewind and effectively pretend it never happened, that'll feel really cheap.

There's still the impact of the pre-gauntlet deaths, too, though. I think all of us wonder if Loki is really dead, but if Gamorra needs to remain a sacrifice for the MCU as a whole.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    So not too surprisingly, this movie broke all the big records over the weekend.

I saw it twice and it was packed both times, the first unfortunately I fell asleep for about half an hour in the beginning. Not because I was bored or anything, I was just exhausted. I didn't miss much plot wise as they showed enough during the previews to get me from A to B, but upon seeing it the second time, I missed a ton of really great moments.

Anyway, loved the movie but don't want to say much more. I will say that it's interesting that a number of people I know did not know, or forgot, this was 1 of 2 movies. Obviously that must really change your perspective. Notice they didn't label it as Part 1 (which has been fairly common these days) for some reason.

Are we doing full discussion in this thread (with spoiler tags)?
  • uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager
    Bullwinkle wrote: »
    https://destructoid.com/the-impact-of-avengers-infinity-war-is-undone-by-marvel-s-inability-to-keep-its-mouth-shut-500680.phtml

I had this same thought, watching through the end of the film.
    The undermined impact is the one big negative I have. I'm not sure that even a lack of knowledge about Spidey, Panther, and Guardians sequels would lessen the notion that obviously not all of those people are going to remain dead. So, really, the only impact is watching the effect it has on other characters. Also, the post-credits scene helps, as it shows the cataclysmic result of the finger snap with helicopters crashing, fires starting, and mass hysteria ensuing. It's going to be a rough world. I just hope the solution isn't in the Time Stone. If they simply rewind and effectively pretend it never happened, that'll feel really cheap.

There's still the impact of the pre-gauntlet deaths, too, though. I think all of us wonder if Loki is really dead, but if Gamorra needs to remain a sacrifice for the MCU as a whole.

I mean, the Infinity Gauntlet came out over 25 years ago, and we've known this was a two-parter for years, so <shrug> I don't really agree with the premise of that article at all, really.

That's like saying the last Harry Potter movie was undone by the book....

Mike Dunn
    Executive Producer & Editor-at-Large
    GAMING TREND

• uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager
    To further elaborate:
    The deaths (and very likely subsequent resurrections) are part of the territory with the Marvel universe. How many times have ALL of these characters died and come back, or been retconned, etc. in the comics? That doesn't make the deaths meaningless, its just part of the story.

If the wearer of the gauntlet can make half the universe's population disappear, why can't a wearer consequently make them reappear? what if they aren't dead at all, but rather were moved somewhere else (like the soul stone) I'm betting Gamora is FOR SURE in the soul stone. I'm betting money right now that the soul stone is the key to all of this for sure.

Hell, Dr Strange's actions telegraphed this within the movie- this was the only path that lead to them defeating Thanos (whatever that means to begin with).

The bottom line- live or die, it better be fucking entertaining. This part sure as hell was, hopefully the follow-up is as well. There will almost certainly be a lasting effect from all of this, and I can't wait to see what it is.

Mike Dunn
    GAMING TREND

• Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    It's not at all like saying the last HP film was undone by the book. The movies have already strayed from the comics, even while covering similar territory.
    There are deaths in the movie that are quite significant and seem to have the weight of permadeath behind them. Gamora in particular. Even with a known Guardians 3 on the horizon, there are enough characters that there's no guarantee that Gamora will be one of them. Spider-man is tied up with Sony.
    If the sequel wasn't already written in stone, there might be questions. Knowing what's on the docket lessens the impact. Same with Panther. Actually, maybe even mostly with Panther. I mean, there's not a soul who watches these movies who doesn't know how successful his film was. The sequel was greenlit before opening weekend was over. Watching him disintegrate is the moment that has probably the least impact. At least Spidey got an awesome speech.
    On the other hand, if it had been, say, his sister or Michone that died, more eyebrows might have been raised and more questions left unanswered.

Picture this. Instead of the Guardians and Panther all going, we only lost Drax. And then Michone. And then we lost Spider-Man, but they also let some rumors slip in the real world that there were some rights issues going forward, and the sequel movie was really a prequel (or maybe we didn't even know about it in the first place). The buzz would be about who died and what was going to happen instead of just how are they going to fix it. The weight of the deaths would be heavier. As it is, these deaths are more plot points.

Yeah, you can argue that it's a comic book world and folks come back all the time, but the difference between the films and the comics is that they've been spinning the pages for decades and hope to do it for decades more, so of course characters will come in and out, die and get resurrected, get snappy new costumes or powers, etc. In the movies, they're only making so many. And Robert Downey, Jr. and Chris Evans have already talked about hanging up their suits. The concept of genuine retirement is definitely a thing. You have to admit, it seemed pretty likely that Thanos was going to take Iron Man out at one point, and people were definitely expecting that.

I'm sure this'll be handled fine in the sequel. I fully expected a permadeath sacrifice or two to balance out all the resurrections that will happen. The point of the article is simply that it's unfortunate that we know that those resurrections will happen, without question. It takes the weight away from all the deaths.
    I don't see how you can even question that.
  • uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager
    Bullwinkle wrote: »
    It's not at all like saying the last HP film was undone by the book. The movies have already strayed from the comics, even while covering similar territory.
    There are deaths in the movie that are quite significant and seem to have the weight of permadeath behind them. Gamora in particular. Even with a known Guardians 3 on the horizon, there are enough characters that there's no guarantee that Gamora will be one of them. Spider-man is tied up with Sony.
    If the sequel wasn't already written in stone, there might be questions. Knowing what's on the docket lessens the impact. Same with Panther. Actually, maybe even mostly with Panther. I mean, there's not a soul who watches these movies who doesn't know how successful his film was. The sequel was greenlit before opening weekend was over. Watching him disintegrate is the moment that has probably the least impact. At least Spidey got an awesome speech.
    On the other hand, if it had been, say, his sister or Michone that died, more eyebrows might have been raised and more questions left unanswered.

Picture this. Instead of the Guardians and Panther all going, we only lost Drax. And then Michone. And then we lost Spider-Man, but they also let some rumors slip in the real world that there were some rights issues going forward, and the sequel movie was really a prequel (or maybe we didn't even know about it in the first place). The buzz would be about who died and what was going to happen instead of just how are they going to fix it. The weight of the deaths would be heavier. As it is, these deaths are more plot points.

Yeah, you can argue that it's a comic book world and folks come back all the time, but the difference between the films and the comics is that they've been spinning the pages for decades and hope to do it for decades more, so of course characters will come in and out, die and get resurrected, get snappy new costumes or powers, etc. In the movies, they're only making so many. And Robert Downey, Jr. and Chris Evans have already talked about hanging up their suits. The concept of genuine retirement is definitely a thing. You have to admit, it seemed pretty likely that Thanos was going to take Iron Man out at one point, and people were definitely expecting that.

I'm sure this'll be handled fine in the sequel. I fully expected a permadeath sacrifice or two to balance out all the resurrections that will happen. The point of the article is simply that it's unfortunate that we know that those resurrections will happen, without question. It takes the weight away from all the deaths.
    I don't see how you can even question that.
    I guess my main point is that a core tenet of the Marvel Universe in the comics is the impermanence of death. For years it was "everyone but Uncle Ben and Bucky", but that changed. To think that the films wouldn't embrace the concept, especially with the Thanos storyline, just seems odd to me. When I read the issue of Infinity Gauntlet that had the finger-snap moment the month it came out, at no point did I think those deaths were permanent, and the fact that all the monthly titles were still ongoing and being solicited months in advance "spoiled" that as well. We've never had movies that adhered to a shared universe like this before, that adhered to what made the comics so successful, so everybody is framing this is a movie based on comics, rather than a movie made like the comics.

Mike Dunn
    GAMING TREND

• rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    I didn't read through everything above in full detail, but I do agree that the impact of the dust-deaths is certainly diminished by knowing this is a two-part story and that most/many of the dusted people have projects coming up. That was my immediate reaction once I saw just who was going, and I made the same comment that the movie could have had a much deeper impact with some perma-deaths. No doubt those will now be coming in Part 2, but certainly won't include the entire Guardians cast, cash cow Black Panther and Spiderman lol. It would have been interesting had they done something like Bucky, Michonne, Falcon, War Machine, maybe Drax, Wanda, the blue chick, Hawkeye (at home just because), etc.... But then people might bitch that they wimped out from a storytelling perspective. While the impact is certainly lessened knowing we will absolutely get some sort of reset button, the difficulty and stakes are actually now that much higher since they took out some of the most powerful heroes like Dr. Strange and Scarlet Witch. Since they went down that path, I would have taken Thor too and left them with a handful of the weaker players. But I'm sure everyone who remained has a specific role to play.

Given the way it was written, I am expecting Tony Stark to be the "big" permadeath/sacrifice in the next movie. I'm guessing Black Panther's sister will survive to do something to resurrect Vision, and Gamora will get a pass involving the soulstone. So Loki may be the only "real" character we lost this time around, but given his origins, it would be easy to bring him back through some other channel in the future if they felt like it. I don't know how they'll do the reset, but I read it might involve the quantum zone/galaxy stuff where Ant Man and Wasp are going, and also Captain Marvel is involved with. I had presumed it would involve the green time stone but that might be too obvious.

Ultimately aside from some initial shock, I don't think anyone who saw the movie will be at all surprised or disappointed when they all come back and kick some ass. The challenging part now is how are they going to write it in a way that's satisfying for casual audiences as well as the comic book fans who are accustomed to this kind of thing.
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    Just to be clear, I didn't mean to imply that I was trying to say, "This movie is stupid because..." or anything like that. I still think it's an excellent movie, and the dustings still do have some impact, if only in watching how the other characters react to them (and how they'll have to deal with them). It's only that a bit of the gut punch is lost knowing that they cannot possibly be permanent.

I do not expect all of the "real" deaths to be reversed (and I think it would be cheap as hell if everyone is back by the end, even if we lose some major players in the sequel). There's not really a question that we've lost Heimdall. Loki is as much a wild card as always (plus IIRC the comics let him respawn, basically).
    But I don't think you're right about Gamora, Rittchard. I think she's gone. She's framed as the most important death in the film, and I think the weight of that moment needs to remain. Plus, it'll actually be heartbreaking as hell for Thanos to have his work reversed, yet not get the one thing he loved back. So, I both expect and hope for her death to be permanent.

For a while, at least. It is Marvel, after all.

And that's really the difference. Sure, Gamora could come back at some point (as Colson did), but there's no guarantee, and we just don't know. Whereas all of these other deaths are for absolute certain not permanent. And that's the exact weight that's missing.
  • uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager
    Re: Gamora- it was a "soul for a soul", remember? She's in the soul stone- she'll be back. Hell, it happened in the comics...

Mike Dunn
    GAMING TREND

• Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    Well, that's a good point. It doesn't balance the drama scales for me, but I can see it happen. Also, I'm sure other permadeaths will happen in the follow up to get the scales back in line.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member edited May 1
    I just don't see a Guardians 3 movie working well without Gamora. Would be hard to maintain the comedic tone if the love of your life is dead. Of course if they somehow added Kitty Pryde in her place (as per a recent comic run), I would LOVE that.

It just occurred to me that Zoe Saldana may be too busy in Avatar and maybe she satisfied her contract doing 2 Guardians and 1 Avengers, so who knows...
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    You should change that from a quote to a spoiler!
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member edited May 1
    oh crap!

Another spoiler: I'm going senile!!!!
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    I saw it last night and while it was fine I certainly enjoy the smaller stories better. Of course this was also true for me with the comics. Somehow the huge "whole universe is about the be destroyed" stories are just to much. There are always a ton of plot holes, a ton of "just in the nick of time" events, just to much of everything.

Like Age of Ultron it was fun but I don't need to see it again.
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member edited May 3
    I caught it a 3rd time on AMC IMAX 3-D last night. Mixed bag in terms of the glasses dimming what's really an eye-popping movie; it was filmed with IMAX cameras, so I felt like I needed to catch it in that format at least once.

I've finally caught up on the few dialogue lines I missed opening Thursday night. I might catch it again on AMC's Dolby Cinema.

On the BJ-meter this is more of a "see it 4-5 times" thing, which isn't bad. I loved Black Panther, Last Jedi, Thor: Ragnarok (just got on disc) but for some reason -- maybe it's just a winter hibernation thing -- a couple viewings each was enough for me. :) With this, I just feel there's always something more to see, and the funny lines still get a reaction from me after multiple viewings.

Random thoughts on where the followup movie may/could go (in double-spoiler codes):
    No, you have to click one spoiler code deeper, just to be careful. =)
    Well, duh, of course time travel seems one possibility. But how? If the Gauntlet's 'melted' and all the Infinity Stones are kaput, how do they even get there? I know photos online suggest it's time travel stuff or alternate reality or whatever, but that could all just be a red herring to throw off bloggers.

How do Stark and Nebula -- the only heroes left standing on Titan -- get back to Earth? Or anywhere? She crashes her ship into Thanos, wasn't sure if the ship was still intact.

Something Rocket Raccoon related? He's the only Guardian left standing/existing at the end, which I found a bit surprising.

The scientists left are Stark, Banner, and Shuri (Black Panther's sister), but RR has a lot of more improvised "mad scientist" know-how. Might be fun for that to be the "brain trust" that concocts a solution of some sort.

I trust it won't just be Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) flying around earth in reverse to rewind time and ripoff Superman 1978. :) But perhaps - ok 'duh' i know - that movie will lead into the Infinity Wars finale.

When Iron Made's blade cuts Thanos and gets a drop of blood, and T makes that comment -- after 3 viewings -- I keep thinking that has to play into the concluding movie in some way. DNA sampling, cloning, creating a weapon out of Thanos' own body, so to speak. Right? No? :)

Red Skull's reappearance makes me wonder if Cap will encounter him in the finale. Maybe Skull would ask Cap/Steve to 'sacrifice what you love" too, but since Steve already sacrificed his love for Peggy Carter in a way, maybe he'd already be 'eligible.' :)
    I like the movie fine but I can't help thinking I'll enjoy it more as part of a double feature in a year from now. :) I just hope conclusion is better than Return of the Jedi. :D
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    If they pull some Last Jedi b.s. where Captain Marvel just quickly and easily kills Thanos I will be pissed.

*edit* you said Return of the Jedi, not the Last Jedi. that was the b.s. I was annoyed by.
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member edited May 3
    Oh you mean the Big Bad getting whacked too easily. :)

I guess I'm saying that Empire Strikes Back built up 3 years anticipation for Return of the Jedi, and most hardcore fans would say it didn't really live up to TESB - Ewoks, another Battlestar riff, Han not having much to do except look worried about Leia etc.

That was pre-Internet and I was kind of limited to reading about speculation in Starlog and Fantastic Films print magazines. So much interesting conjecture, most of which was wrong. I enjoyed ROTJ in the day (1983, I was 18), just I think that was more out of love for the cast/characters than the movie itself.

So that's sort of what I wonder with Infinity War. Not so much concern that someone will whack Thanos with a stick and POOF. :) More a concern we'll all have this speculation about how 2nd movie concludes, and then what they come up with is just OK/meh.

Sorry to confuse. Yeah, I would want whatever IW resolution they do to really have everyone working in unison.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Everyone knows Cap's true love is Bucky! (wait does that need a spoiler?)
    The theory I read, I think mentioned above, was that the reversal would involve Captain Marvel's ties with the Quantum Realm. This was based on rumors that both Ant Man and her solo movie, which both come before the next Avengers, will deal with it.
    Wasn't it already announced they would recover Janet Van Dyne from the Quantum Realm? Anyway, I have no idea what that has to do with time travel, but I guess it has to do with the Multiverse so I suppose they could go get another time stone from an alternate universe lol.
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member edited May 3
    Cap <3 Bucky

fwiw, the writers said that if fans feel any individual characters got little to do in the 1st film, we should look forward to them getting more to do/say in the 2nd one.

I have some geeky questions maybe you guys know the answers to (just one initially).
    I don't follow the whole Infinity Stones too closely, although this EW Guide to Avengers I bought has a nice summary.

Here's my question -- the Power Stone was under Nova Corps' protection at the end of Guardians of the Galaxy 1. When/how did Thanos get his paws on it? Was it during GoG2? I feel like I missed something. I mean, it seems like Thanos just 'has' the power stone in Infinity Wars.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    You didn't miss anything that whole stone was recovered "off camera" I think there is a small reference in the movie to that planet being visited by Thanos before Infinity War and the Corps being destroyed.