WTF, Valve buys makers of Firewatch? (Campo Santo)

EngineNo9
EngineNo9
For some reason Valve has decided that they want to buy a small indie studio? I guess they're getting into the game making business again?

http://blog.camposanto.com/post/173170027579/campo-santo-news

It makes me wonder if they are just going to use their next product (In the Valley of Gods) as some sort of VR launch project or something. No idea why else Valve would buy a random team that's only made one game together.

Not that they "aren't worthy" or something, just that there are thousands of great, smart, dedicated developers out there so for Valve to buy this random small company now seems weird.

Comments

• Isgrimnur
    Isgrimnur
    GT Member
    I look forward to the addition of hats.
  • Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    Half-Life Episode 3 as a walking simulator? ;)
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    I guess thinking about it more, Valve did lose pretty much all of their writers over the last couple years, so I wonder if getting these narrative-driven developers in was some move to kind of help fill that gap?

Or yeah, maybe they wanted to add hats to Firewatch. :lol:
  • Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    Yeah, I'm thinking maybe while they've been successful with their multiplayer games and making boat loads of money with them, that Valve wants to get back to making narrative-based games. I mean, it's one thing to be making multiplayer games, but maybe doing that for so long has gotten them into a rut and they want to challenge themselves again.
  • whiteboyskim
    whiteboyskim
    GT Member
    We're still not getting HL3, my friends.