General game discussion

Rumpy
Rumpy
I didn't see a thread where we could just discuss random games, so correct me if I'm wrong.

I bought Ember a while back and have been enjoying it a great deal. It's a quite an interesting CRPG. It's designed as a tablet game, and the hints often give you instructions as a tablet way of doing things, even though it was first designed as a PC game. The UI including menu are all quite big as a result, and some of the combat is a bit fiddly, but thankfully there's an option to have it paused at critical moments, like when someone needs health for example.

Comments

• MonkeyFinger
    MonkeyFinger
    GT Member
    Huh... "Ember was inspired by the 1992 video game Ultima VII: The Black Gate". And seems to get compared to a budget Balder's Gate or Icewind Dale and the like.

Thanks, you just cost me 10 bucks. :)
  • Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    Haha, yeah, it does get compared a lot to classic CRPGs, I've noticed. I'd also venture Planescape Torment a bit for the story. In terms of graphics, it resembles Torchlight more, but where Torchlight is more linear, this is more free-form. It's quite a decent effort, and for $10? Hell yeah! I'd love to see what else these devs have on offer. I'm enjoying this one quite a bit.
  • Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    So, finished the game. It was quite good! Now I want a sequel. The end seems to set one up.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Glad to hear you enjoyed it, I really need to give Ember a go some time. One of those games I picked up in a sale some time ago and never got around to actually playing at the time.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    I'm always fascinated when spambots find our little corner of the web.

Anyhoo, I re-downloaded Ember on my iPad and might give it another shot during a couple upcoming road trips. Especially since there's nothing that interests me on Switch right now.
  • Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    Anyone play A Way Out yet? It's absolutely brilliant! A must play, especially for anyone who likes a story driven game. As a co-op game, it always manages to find new ways to take advantage of the co-op system, and then the ending, wow... we both didn't see it coming, but it made for one of the most emotionally gut-wrenching endings since The Last of Us. We're playing through it a second time to play it from different perspectives and make different decisions along the way.

And I must say, although I'm surprised to hear myself saying it, but I must tip my hat to EA for making it easier finding a second player. Only one of you have to have bought a copy. You can send a friend an invite, which then sends them to download the demo/trial depending on which system you're on, and then the one who bought it sends a friends pass, essentially unlocking the game for that particular session. It's a brilliant way to get more people to play it. If you haven't already played it, grab a friend and have a go. You'll have one of the best gaming experiences of 2018.