God of War Catch All

2»

Comments

• EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    I know I am very much on the far said against "cinematic" experiences...I feel like games are for gameplay and not "hit 'X' to grieve", so I am super glad to hear some others not being blown away.

I guess I went into this both on the hype and all the 10/10 reviews thinking it was going to be the absolute best new third person action combat game, and it didn't feel like that at all.

It felt like you spend half your time looking at cinematic camera angles on boring gameplay, and then mash up a few enemies before moving on. And then you meet a boss that annoyingly requires completely different tactics and gameplay than anything you practiced on the garbage enemies.

Not to mention that there are lots of little things off the main path, but any time you wander from it the kid is constantly saying "Not that way", and "It's over here"...shut up, boy, I'm collecting fucking shiny things. :angry:
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    God of War: 20 Spoiler-Free Tips For Before You Start

• Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    I started watching this the other day, but the measured pace of the voice over turned me off immediately, and I couldn't get through it!
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    EngineNo9 wrote: »
    I know I am very much on the far said against "cinematic" experiences...I feel like games are for gameplay and not "hit 'X' to grieve"

Not to get too sidetracked but that's perplexed me about a lot of really popular games in this genre. Many of which amount to complex puzzle solving or jumping/timing skills, or difficult combat that requires fast reflexes and timing, or a lot of patience. If I wanted a puzzle game, I'd play Sudoku, or maybe something like Myst if I wanted one that involved searching for nooks and crannies. If I wanted to do jumping/timing, I'd play Super Mario. If I want skilled combat, I'd play Street Fighter or maybe a MOBA.

For me having a game like this which ups the ante on production values is only valuable if I can actually experience the content with a sense of flow. Which unfortunately means I need it to be "easy" enough to not frustrate me or take me totally out of the momentum of the story because I'm spending an hour trying to align some goofy wheels by throwing my axe at the exact right time. And it also means if I am dying again and again and replaying the same portions over, it's completely distracting and not very fun.

Note I do realize I don't fit into your typical gamer's mindset.

• farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    God Of War PS4: 10 Tips & Tricks The Game Doesn't Tell You
    *I have a weakness for lists...

• farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Xzt-k2_4eIQ8Q6_WEtpkTEJ0gbHIOOtQM2bNApV3di0.jpg?w=661&s=4105312c79557d9070e78a049d8bb2ac
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    "I tell you what, boy, that there is a big dang ol' troll."
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    God of War: 7 Skills to Get First

• farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator edited April 26
    1fLx1ua.jpg

xzjjsbn4fpgmq547xfcm.png

2h2mFqS.png

• rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    That's pretty hilarious!!!

I played a few more hours this weekend, and I must admit the initial luster has worn off a bit. The banter between the two is growing a bit tedious, as are some of the more complicated "puzzles." In spite of what seems like more freedom to roam, it seems like this game is really linear in terms of its puzzle structure. I got stuck in both the Light zone and the big dwarf cavern for really long times trying to figure out what they had in mind. For the most part I was able to handle the "tricks" required, but eventually I ran into spots where just solving a trick wasn't enough; you have to solve each in a very distinct order and it got to be confusing, even with the guidebook in hand. What's more frustrating, as I mentioned in my previous comment, is how often what's shown graphically isn't consistent with your abilities. You can only jump or crush or climb or lift some humungous stone when they allow it. But often enough you'll see a wall that looks just like one you scaled before, or a massive rock just like one you shifted before - but now because it's not where you're intended to go you can't do anything.

That said, I do enjoy the combat, and I like how more moves and effects and teamwork options open up as the game progresses. I almost wish Atreus was a fully playable character as I'm much more inclined to play a bow user than an axe wielder.

The overall environments and story elements are still top notch, and I am still very invested in seeing how it plays out. I just wish there was some kind of story and combat-only mode so I wouldn't lose so much momentum walking/jumping around in circles in certain areas.

• MonkeyFinger
    MonkeyFinger
    GT Member
    Yep, lots of "faces" (i.e. expressions) for them to choose from. :)

Still hate the damn bells. :#
  • Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    In general, the bell chests don't bug me, with one exception. There is a chest up on a raised area where it seems like you have run from one to the another. The third bell has a really short activation time (2 seconds). The other two have longer activations times but are spread apart so you have to sprint and throw your axe. For the life of me, I cannot get the from one to the other in time to have enough time to throw the axe at it. I gave up after about 30 tries because I was ready to throw my controller across the room.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Kratos faces

rwM6VLw.gif
  • Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member edited May 14
    I finished the game over the weekend. Initially, I thought that this was going to be better than Horizon Zero Dawn, which is my absolute favorite PS4 game, but alas, it did not end up being that. GoW is still a great game but there were some problems IMO.

Like rritchard pointed out, Kratos is a god and can destroy heaven and earth but he can't hop over a waist high obstacle. That limitation really ruins the immersive nature of the world. You are always aware of the artificial boundaries in the world which really limits just how open the world actually is.

The story had me right up until a point just before the end, and then the ending happens, and it's jarringly anti-climactic. It was touching, but with all the epic moments in throughout the game, that ending was abrupt and so limp. Ugh.

One of the realms you open up is nothing more than a rogue-like randomly generated maze where you grind for currency. I tried to stick with it, but it got so repetitive and pointless I gave up because it got really boring.

Another realm was a series of arenas which was okay up until the very last arena, which brings me to my biggest frustration. The optional boss fights against valkyries. Holy crap. Maybe there was a trick to beating them but I never figured it out. I ran into a bunch of different valkyries and they all killed me repeatedly. Maybe I needed to upgrade my weapons and armor. I thought I had high level stuff, but to max them out I had to do a lot of additional level grinding, and since I had finished the game, it seemed pretty pointless.

It was at this point where I lost all desire to play. I finished the story, completed probably 75% of the collectible elements, and still had all the valkyries to kill but it wasn't fun anymore so I quit. I still enjoyed the game immensely but I just felt like the end game was a disappointment. Oh well, that's what sequels are for I guess.
  • uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager
    I finished the game over the weekend. Initially, I thought that this was going to be better than Horizon Zero Dawn, which is my absolute favorite PS4 game, but alas, it did not end up being that. GoW is still a great game but there were some problems IMO.

Like rritchard pointed out, Kratos is a god and can destroy heaven and earth but he can't hop over a waist high obstacle. That limitation really ruins the immersive nature of the world. You are always aware of the artificial boundaries in the world which really limits just how open the world actually is.

The story had me right up until a point just before the end, and then the ending happens, and it's jarringly anti-climactic. It was touching, but with all the epic moments in throughout the game, that ending was abrupt and so limp. Ugh.

One of the realms you open up is nothing more than a rogue-like randomly generated maze where you grind for currency. I tried to stick with it, but it got so repetitive and pointless I gave up because it got really boring.

Another realm was a series of arenas which was okay up until the very last arena, which brings me to my biggest frustration. The optional boss fights against valkyries. Holy crap. Maybe there was a trick to beating them but I never figured it out. I ran into a bunch of different valkyries and they all killed me repeatedly. Maybe I needed to upgrade my weapons and armor. I thought I had high level stuff, but to max them out I had to do a lot of additional level grinding, and since I had finished the game, it seemed pretty pointless.

It was at this point where I lost all desire to play. I finished the story, completed probably 75% of the collectible elements, and still had all the valkyries to kill but it wasn't fun anymore so I quit. I still enjoyed the game immensely but I just felt like the end game was a disappointment. Oh well, that's what sequels are for I guess.

Did you go back to the house at the beginning of the game?
    I actually thought the end reveal was jaw-dropping, and I loved the understated nature of it. I think you'll get a little more satisfaction if you go back to the house...
    Niffleheim is more than just grinding for currency, and it does get easier after the initial hump, but if I hadn't been so engaged by the game as a whole I probably wouldn't have dug into it to the end like I did.
    The Valkyries are literally the toughest part of the game. Some of them are a little easier than the others, but they drop some killer loot. I got all but two before I got distracted away from the game. Literally the last non-collection component of the game I have left.

I think the thing I appreciated the most was how Mimir continued to tell tales for some time after I finished the main story, as well as the continued interactions from the dwarves. It's worth playing just a bit longer (and going back to the house) to get an idea where the sequel plans to go.

Mike Dunn
    Executive Producer & Editor-at-Large
    GAMING TREND

• Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    I did go back to the house. Yes, it is a cool epilogue and hint to a sequel, but it didn’t change my impressions of the end game. Don’t get me wrong, I still really liked the game, and the graphics are amazing.