General Racing Game discussions

EngineNo9
EngineNo9
It seems like it never really pays to start a new thread for any specific racing game that comes out since only two or three of us end up playing that one, so I thought maybe starting one general thread would at least keep it semi-active as new games release.

Or not, we'll see.

Comments

• EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member edited April 3
    So despite myself I just picked up MX vs ATV All Out. I say that because the last couple games in the series really felt like Nordic milking the franchise and were just really disappointing from graphics, performance and even controls perspective. There were massive issues that were just never fixed after release, despite them putting out tons of paid DLC.

I have only played about an hour, and I went in with pretty bad expectations, but so far I have to say that this one definitely feels like a big step forward from those. It may not be as pretty as MXGP3, but it's an improvement and with the latest 1.03 patch it seems to be running pretty well for me, if a bit inconsistent from 50-90fps on my Geforce 1070 GTX.

There is terrain deformation and rutting, as you'd expect from a modern motocross game, but I'd say that the general rutting when running the course is quite a bit less impactful than MXGP3. You can spin around doing donuts and dig up some decent berms, though, so it's not entirely without merit.

The big improvement here for me, though, is just the general feeling of the bike and rider. They once again have the dual stick controls, with the left stick controlling the bike and the right shifting the rider's weight. This is honestly the best it has felt for me since before Reflex. It's not twitchy in any way as that game was, but it is fast enough moving that the rider and bike can change orientation as needed. I think the best thing I can say is that they pretty much just go where I want them to without thinking too much about it.

Anyway, I've really only ridden around the main compound and done the tutorials, but so far I am really enjoying it and definitely won't be getting a Steam Refund as I was afraid would be the case. We'll see when I can put more time into it if I ever finish up Far Cry 5 (hah!).
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    I was all excited for the remaster of Burnout Paradise, but found myself losing interest very quickly. It all sounds good in theory, but I would MUCH prefer just a straight up menu system to choose my races. Having to drive all around the map to find an event was unique and interesting at first, but very quickly becomes annoying as hell.

I also didn't like the way the race route wasn't specified. In theory, it allows for more freedom to choose how to get from point A to point B. In practice, I found myself accidentally taking wrong turns and eliminating myself from the race more often than not. Going full speed while trying to take out two other cars and avoid oncoming traffic doesn't exactly lend itself to seeing a flashing street sign indicating that you must make a sharp left RIGHT HERE just to to stay in the race.
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    My racing love is pretty much limited to Forza Horizon games. I am looking forward to The Crew 2 as well, but I don't really care for any of the off road games for some reason.
  • Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    Ok, so here's an interesting question for you all. Having just recently gotten a PS4, I'd like to see recommendations for racing games. I played a ton of GT5 on the PS3, but I'm not sure I'd be keen to revisit the franchise at this point so that's out. Possibly The Crew? Is there something out there that's particularly amazing?
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Gratch wrote: »
    I was all excited for the remaster of Burnout Paradise, but found myself losing interest very quickly. It all sounds good in theory, but I would MUCH prefer just a straight up menu system to choose my races. Having to drive all around the map to find an event was unique and interesting at first, but very quickly becomes annoying as hell.

Yeah, I was really hoping they would take this opportunity to put in fully featured fast travel from the map, instead of only the patched-in race retrying that they added later. Seems like it would have been a perfect chance to bring the game more into the modern era.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Rumpy wrote: »
    Ok, so here's an interesting question for you all. Having just recently gotten a PS4, I'd like to see recommendations for racing games. I played a ton of GT5 on the PS3, but I'm not sure I'd be keen to revisit the franchise at this point so that's out. Possibly The Crew? Is there something out there that's particularly amazing?

Hmm, I guess it largely depends on what kind of racing you like. If you like open worlds and slightly more arcady racing, then definitely pick up a cheap copy of The Crew, and get the full Ultimate Edition with all the DLC and expansions. It has everything from street racing to monster trucks to Hot Pursuit-style cop chases. They added a ton to it and really polished it since launch.

If you want serious racing like Gran Tourismo but don't really want to go back to that series, maybe go for Project CARS 1 or 2. Very well done simulation-style racing with lots of cars.

If you are into rally at all, look into Dirt Rally or even WRC 7. Or Dirt 4 if you want some rally but also some mixed offroad (less focus on just rally in the numbered games). Gravel makes for a fun offroad game that leans a bit more away from serious.

If you like motorcycles, check out TT Isle of Man for street bikes or MXGP3 for dirt bikes.
  • Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member

I suggest Driveclub. It was an early PS4 game with a really botched initial release, but over time, it was patched over and over and a ton of content was added. Sadly the developer was disbanded by Sony so there is no more support, but the final incarnation of the game is pretty close to perfect. It hits that sweet spot between sim and arcade and the graphics are still pretty spectacular for a game that was release so long ago. The game is pretty challenging though, especially at higher skill levels. If you decide to get it, go for the digital version in the PS4 store because it has the game AND the season pass for $20. The season pass is the key because there is a TON of added cars, tracks and liveries. Cars are hugely customizable with premade paint jobs and you can create your own from scratch.

Here is the direct link: https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP9000-CUSA00093_00-PSPLUSSEASONPASS
  • Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member edited April 4
    EngineNo9 wrote: »
    [
    Hmm, I guess it largely depends on what kind of racing you like. If you like open worlds and slightly more arcady racing, then definitely pick up a cheap copy of The Crew, and get the full Ultimate Edition with all the DLC and expansions. It has everything from street racing to monster trucks to Hot Pursuit-style cop chases. They added a ton to it and really polished it since launch.

If you want serious racing like Gran Tourismo but don't really want to go back to that series, maybe go for Project CARS 1 or 2. Very well done simulation-style racing with lots of cars.

If you are into rally at all, look into Dirt Rally or even WRC 7. Or Dirt 4 if you want some rally but also some mixed offroad (less focus on just rally in the numbered games). Gravel makes for a fun offroad game that leans a bit more away from serious.

If you like motorcycles, check out TT Isle of Man for street bikes or MXGP3 for dirt bikes.

Hmmmm, good call. I like the idea of The Crew and there's an incoming sequel, isn't there? I've liked what I've seen of Project Cars, but I'm not entirely sure I have the patience for realistic racing much anymore. It does really look good though. I have no wheel and no room for one though and while I've played GT5 with a gamepad, a lot of it was touch-and-go. I actually had a G25 at one point, but ended up giving it to my brother when he expressed interest in getting a wheel.

I've played Dirt 3 Ultimate and I quite liked that, so Dirt 4 is a definite possibility. The racing in that game was rather satisfying. I liked the variety it offered.
    I suggest Driveclub. It was an early PS4 game with a really botched initial release, but over time, it was patched over and over and a ton of content was added.

I've heard lots about Driveclub and it does look like it's up my alley. I heard lots of grumblings about it, but good to know most of it has been fixed.

I quite liked Test Drive Unlimited and their approach and I know the former devs went on to develop a more recent game and I know it was either The Crew or Driveclub, but can't remember which. I know that one of them resembled a lot like TDU in terms of gameplay mechanics.

In a time when open-world racing games seemed to be quite generic, like the NFS games for instance, TDU seemed to be a breath of fresh air. The world felt alive and I felt it was perhaps the best thing that had happened to the Test Drive franchise. Ironically, I hear the latest Need For Speed is more like that.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    I quite liked Test Drive Unlimited and their approach and I know the former devs went on to develop a more recent game and I know it was either The Crew or Driveclub, but can't remember which. I know that one of them resembled a lot like TDU in terms of gameplay mechanics.

In a time when open-world racing games seemed to be quite generic, like the NFS games for instance, TDU seemed to be a breath of fresh air. The world felt alive and I felt it was perhaps the best thing that had happened to the Test Drive franchise. Ironically, I hear the latest Need For Speed is more like that.

They went on to found Ivory Tower and develop The Crew (along with Ubisoft Reflections). And it that an open world that has other people basically in and out of your world by proximity similar to TDU 2. Some of the most fun I had was just running into a random person in the wild and forming an impromptu "follow the leader" game without forming a Crew or speaking or anything.

And stuff like the police chases is all on-the-fly multiplayer...it will say "there's a chase going on nearby" and you can just hit a button to join in as a cop or criminal (based on whichever you currently chose to progress). That feature was honestly the biggest thing to make me love the open world and multiplayer aspects since it didn't require long term commitment and I could jump in or out at will.

If you complete objectives in the first game, you can unlock cars in The Crew 2 when it comes out at the end of June.

Need For Speed: Rivals certainly tried to be more like TDU, but I don't think it succeeded at being quite as much fun. I didn't play the most recent one (Payback?), but I think it got kind of middling response as well. But neither was a "bad" game, so look into them if that sort of thing interests you.
  • Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    Ok, yeah, that's the one I was thinking about then. I seriously loved the way they had people on the server. Made it feel more alive. That's the first truly open-world racing game that I know of. One awesome memory I had in TDU was cruising around with a complete stranger. It embraced car culture in interesting ways. I never did get to playing the sequel, but I heard it wasn't as well received. It also was the first open-world Test Drive since the 3rd game. The 3rd game was quite ahead of its time, and was a bit of an odd duck, but I had good memories playing it.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    This seems like a good place to also mention that the Humble Store just launched their "Festival of Speed" sale with tons of racing games on sale.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/festival-of-speed/

And don't forget that if you're a Humble Monthly subscriber you get an extra 10% off. (and if you want to sign up for that, use this link and give me some store credit :wink: )
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    EngineNo9 wrote: »
    I have only played about an hour, and I went in with pretty bad expectations, but so far I have to say that this one definitely feels like a big step forward from those. It may not be as pretty as MXGP3, but it's an improvement and with the latest 1.03 patch it seems to be running pretty well for me, if a bit inconsistent from 50-90fps on my Geforce 1070 GTX.

After having played for a bit more on several other maps in both Waypoint and Opencross game modes, I have to take back the comment on performance. It's actually pretty terrible at times.

At certain points in the open map for some Waypoint races I saw my framerate dip into the lower 20's, and frequently sitting in the 30's. Then there were times it would go back up into the 50's and feel very smooth again, but it was a minority of the time. Similar issues with the Opencross I tried, though more just sitting in the 30's it still felt pretty bad.

Hopefully this all improves once the 1.04 update hits PC (for some reason they are releasing patches and DLC earlier on PS4, despite it being easier and faster to iterate on PC), but for now I think I'll take a step back and wait for it to get fixed.
  • Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    Horizon 3 when I want to race around.

Spintires for when I want to get stuck.

MarioKart 8 Superhappyfuntime on Switch when I want to pop balloons.