Far Cry 5

Bullwinkle
Bullwinkle
edited March 27 in Video Games
I have played about an hour past clearing Tutorial Island, and I have to say I'm very impressed with Far Cry 5.

It feels like a more mature game. The controls flow extremely well. The graphics are fairly amazing, capturing the feeling of being in misty wooded hills perfectly. The storyline is topical and serious, avoiding the over the top camp of the last few villains (which I thought worked once but felt like a rehash the second time).

Even the Ubisoft: The Game stuff has been toned down significantly. In fact, I was amused when I found myself climbing a tower and the guy on the headset made a point of telling me not to worry...he wasn't going to have me climbing radio towers all over the place.

Anyway, really great so far. It feels improved in similar ways to how Origin moved AssCreed forward, but in its own way.

Comments

• shon
    shon
    GT Member
    Played the same amount as Bullwinkle. The movement and aiming feels better with a controller than past games and there is no microstutter on PC that I experienced with Far Cry 4 at launch so they made some good engine improvements.

The one issue I've had so far is very inconsistent AI. Sometimes they will do a good job of hiding behind cover, but other times I'll just walk right up to them and it takes a couple of seconds for them to recognize I'm the "guy" and then they start to shoot. I am playing on the hard difficulty and the description just says you take more damage so I'm not sure if enemies react differently.

• EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member edited March 28
    I have played all of the Far Cry games and so far this one is the jankiest I have seen.

I have already run into multiple bugs where I kill some enemies in a little group, go like 50 yards in one direction and then they are magically back. I killed the same two guys and freed their prisoner three times in a row before I finally just gave up and moved on.

And I have scouted a little camp that had a plane, and then ran around a little bit and came back and it no longer had a plane, and then came back again and it had a plane again. Took out those guys several times as well. :confounded:

Enemies and animals just pop up out of nowhere. I saw the same hunter/store person get taken out 3 times, twice by wolves and once by a bear, all in the same area within about 10 minutes. One time I was actually able to use her to buy stuff, and then some enemies came down the hill in a truck from nowhere just to park by the trees and shoot at us I guess?
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    That's a bummer to hear. I did find an encampment repopulated at one point, but I'd been away from it for a while. Nothing like what you're seeing yet, but I'm not looking forward to that. The world is mostly pretty immersive.
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    EngineNo9 wrote: »
    I have played all of the Far Cry games and so far this one is the jankiest I have seen.

I probably have about 4 hours played and I haven't seen anything like what you are describing. It may be because I don't hang around anywhere. I do what needs doing and move on. I will say if you hang out near a road for more than a few seconds the endless stream of cult members gets a bit annoying. I don't really bother driving on the roads anymore because it's just shootout after shootout and takes forever to get anywhere.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Yeah, I think part of the problem with me hanging around in one area is that little "events" happen all too often, or too near each other. Like those animal attacks, or a wandering cultist with a prisoner. Or the random truck of enemies coming down the hillside.

I have the tendency to try an clear anything in my path as I'm trying to move somewhere, and when that ends up taking me in a circle of the same things I can't resist free another prisoner or unloading my skins on the store lady so I end up seeing the same things over and over. It's like Far Cry 2 again, with the repopulating checkpoints, only worse.

How weird is it that one hunter is considered a "store", also?
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member

It's just another version of the wandering merchant from the last game (I can't remember if that was in FC3, too).

• Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member edited March 28
    While it's a little tempting to test out my new gaming PC, most of the reviews I've read have said it has good action but a shitty story. That puts it squarely in "when it's $10 on a Steam sale a year from now" territory for me.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    I did what Ron recommended and watched the 30 minute pre-movie on Amazon Prime, and it was a pretty cool intro into the game/world. Keep in mind I'm a fan of found-footage movies in general, so YMMV. It definitely made me feel more immersed in the game story/world going in. After that, I got the game installed and loaded, newest Nvidia Far Cry drivers as well, and dove in. The graphics look pretty incredible, I'm playing in 4K on a 55" TCL HDTV/monitor (HDR was not an option for some reason, not sure why) with all settings on high. I made some graphics adjustments and went through the first few minutes...

...and then as usual as with almost every FPS I hit an immersion roadblock. This is pretty much still in the tutorial section (I think) and I'm playing on Easy. It's the first fight sequence and I just keep dying. I know I'm bad at these games but this is ridiculous. I've tried hiding inside and shooting at people and then resurrecting the stupid guy with me. I've tried running out and rushing out to kill them. I tried jumping out immediately with him, etc. The big problem is I keep running out of ammo. Maybe I missed something, I don't know. Always frustrating for me just when I start getting into a game I hit something like this which kicks me back to reality.

Side question: I bought the game on Green Man; is there a way to get it registered with Steam? I don't see a key anywhere and it seems like I'm stuck with UPlay. But then UPlay says it's linked to Steam so I have no idea what's going on with that.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Bullwinkle wrote: »

It's just another version of the wandering merchant from the last game (I can't remember if that was in FC3, too).

Aah yeah, you're right. I think with the other ones it didn't seem as weird since it literally was a traveling salesperson who had a giant backpack going between towns and such. This is just a random hunter in the woods so it stuck out to me.
    Gratch wrote: »
    While it's a little tempting to test out my new gaming PC, most of the reviews I've read have said it has good action but a shitty story. That puts it squarely in "when it's $10 on a Steam sale a year from now" territory for me.

This probably isn't the game to put your system to the test anyway. It looks very pretty, but it runs quite well even on a slightly older system at Ultra so not a real stress test.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Played for about an hour this morning and again ran into several annoying things with prisoners popping back up (but not the captor, since the last prisoner drove off in his vehicle maybe?), animals appearing in thin air in front of me, a vehicle like 20 yards away disappearing because I took out another group that was attacking me, and along with that the overwhelming number of cars that pile up on the road if you bother to shoot a couple enemies and take more than a second to loot them and run off as Coopasonic mentioned.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still having fun, I just really wish that there was better persistence and balancing of this stuff.
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    Played for about an hour this morning and again ran into several annoying things with prisoners popping back up (but not the captor, since the last prisoner drove off in his vehicle maybe?), animals appearing in thin air in front of me, a vehicle like 20 yards away disappearing because I took out another group that was attacking me, and along with that the overwhelming number of cars that pile up on the road if you bother to shoot a couple enemies and take more than a second to loot them and run off as Coopasonic mentioned.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still having fun, I just really wish that there was better persistence and balancing of this stuff.

Are you playing on PC or console? I'm just curious since it seems so different from what I am seeing.
    rittchard wrote: »
    Side question: I bought the game on Green Man; is there a way to get it registered with Steam? I don't see a key anywhere and it seems like I'm stuck with UPlay. But then UPlay says it's linked to Steam so I have no idea what's going on with that.

You are stuck with uplay. Even if you bought it on steam it would still run through uplay.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    coopasonic wrote: »
    Are you playing on PC or console? I'm just curious since it seems so different from what I am seeing.

I'm playing on PC, coop. Installed on my SSD, and not that settings matter with these things, but everything at Ultra except Motion Blur turned off because I'm not a big fan.

I tried to take a couple screenshots of some weirdness, but it just tells me it thinks my drive is full and can't take them even though I have several gigs free. Probably some error because I have it installed on the non-default drive (I was getting startup errors when it first unlocked, but after the 160 MB patch it launched fine).

• coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    Maybe you are just more aware than I am.
  • jztemple2
    jztemple2
    GT Member
    I'm in at sixteen hours as of this afternoon. Having taken down John Seed, I'm now in the territory of Faith, who amazingly is even more annoying. I did try fishing a bit but it's really, really boring, just like in real life =) .
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    jztemple2 wrote: »
    I'm in at sixteen hours as of this afternoon. Having taken down John Seed, I'm now in the territory of Faith, who amazingly is even more annoying. I did try fishing a bit but it's really, really boring, just like in real life =) .

Not only is fishing boring, but it hardly pays out worth a darn now. So many people in reviews and early hints/tips were saying fishing was the easiest way to earn money so they must have patched it.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    So those of you playing on PC, do you have separate Uplay account names or are you able to access multiplayer through Steam?

My Uplay name is rittch68 in case anyone wants to add me. I have no friends on Uplay :'(
  • jztemple2
    jztemple2
    GT Member
    I have a separate Uplay account, jztemple7, although I don't do multiplayer anymore. I sent a friends request so at least we can compare stats.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member edited March 30
    jztemple2 wrote: »
    I have a separate Uplay account, jztemple7, although I don't do multiplayer anymore. I sent a friends request so at least we can compare stats.

Same here. I don't really do multiplayer but I'm happy to be a leaderboard comparison point as EngineNo9

I got my key from a third party site on sale, so it was Uplay-only, not through Steam.
  • Harkonis
    Harkonis
    GT Member
    I'm on XB1X and definitely haven't seen any of the stuff Engine is talking about fwiw.
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    I'm at about 20 hours played and have liberated all three regions. Unless there are some surprises I expect I'll finish up tonight.
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    My biggest gripe at this point is with the silencer on my sniper rifle.

I will grant you that I'm still mentally in the mode of previous FC games, where I could go camp on a hill, wait for a dude to wander off alone for a bit, and take him out. I might have to shift to another bush every once in a while, but eventually, I could get everyone and most, if not all, of the alarms this way.

It wasn't quite like shooting fish in a barrel because often, the others would know something went down, and they'd scramble around, looking every which way in a panic, and sometimes they might spot me. Also, if my shot missed, the target dude would know where I was.

In FC5, I can wait for a dude to be on the other side of a building from everyone else and take him out, and every single person at that location will immediately run towards me, looking in my exact direction. It's ridiculous!

I've heard the argument that silencers aren't really silent the way they appear in movies and games. I get that this is true, but I'm not trying to snipe a bunch of guys in real life. These video game conventions exist for a reason. I can't Fast Travel in real life, either, but I would be annoyed as hell if I couldn't do that on these massive maps.
  • jztemple2
    jztemple2
    GT Member edited April 2
    I'm at about 20 hours played and have liberated all three regions. Unless there are some surprises I expect I'll finish up tonight.

I took a break from FC5 to go play some more Surviving Mars. I'm rather disappointed in the structure of FC5 in that the boss battles in the last region I visited, Faith's, was triggered before I finished doing what I wanted to do in the region. So rather than building up to a climax in the region I feel like I'm now mopping up. I got about sixty hours of gameplay in the first playthrough on FC3 and FC4 but this version doesn't look like it's going to have the same legs.

Regarding Ubisoft games, I usually don't end up getting to the bitter end on the Far Cry campaigns anyway, nor on the Assassin's Creed games (except Black Flag). Thinking about it, I have a lot of Ubisoft open world games but the only ones I can think of that I happily completed were the two Watch Dogs and Ghost Recon Wildlands. And I really, really want them to make another GRW in the same vein as the first, with less scripted, on a rail missions.
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    In FC5, I can wait for a dude to be on the other side of a building from everyone else and take him out, and every single person at that location will immediately run towards me, looking in my exact direction. It's ridiculous!

That hasn't been my experience with the game. I've take down a bunch of outposts with the "Undetected" bonus. I pretty much always take out the snipers/lookouts without any reaction from the outpost. Sometimes they see/hear me take out the alarm boxes, but if I can get those clean, then undetected is pretty likely to happen.
  • rgcazo
    rgcazo
    GT Member
    I'm almost 24 hours in and I've completed 2 regions so far. I'm a completist so I'm looking for every collectible and completing all missions. I'm really loving the game. My only issues are the slow load times (on ps4) and, when flying in a plane or chopper, the game sporadically freezes up for 3-5 seconds. That's it.
    I'm really loving it.
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    I was a completionist in John's region, but the Faith and Jacob insisted on my attention so I didn't get to clean up there. Also, jeepers there are a lot of collectibles!
  • rgcazo
    rgcazo
    GT Member
    I have not been to Jacob's region yet. I'm hoping to head up there today. I still have a few side missions to do in both John's and Faith's region, but mostly complete. Trying to take my time and enjoy the game. I've done a lot of hunting and fishing. That's fun too.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    I finally got a couple hours in the game, and for the most part have had a good time. I still stink at pretty much all the important things in the game (stealth, shooting, vehicles), but with the help of the guns for hire I've been able to make some decent progress. Vehicles are still problematic for me, I just have so much trouble maneuvering. I got the auto-pilot thing to work once to take me to a waypoint, but the next couple of times it kept screwing up. I like that they've included a fast travel mode so that should hopefully help later. I'm content to just run around on foot anyway because it makes me less anxious and I enjoy seeing all the detail they've put into the world.

I started realizing something, though - I'm basically playing the game the way I played Skyrim (or Fallout 4). It never occurred to me this game could be played like a RPG. The only thing missing for me is an easier way to improve my character. The way challenges/perks work is a solid system, but I wish it would move a little faster. I would have expected the first perk to be awarded after you completed the island.

All in all I really like the world they've created and I like the whole idea behind the game story.

Oh yeah, also should mention I'm playing on PC and have not seen any of the bugs or glitches mentioned earlier. Using the most recently released nvidia drivers that claim to be FC5 specific.
  • rgcazo
    rgcazo
    GT Member
    Yeah, I'd forgotten about vehicles. I wish you could have a 3rd person view when driving. It's very hard to see. For me, the best vehicle is the ATV. That one is not as hard to see from.
    For shooting vehicles, pick up armor piercing ammo. That works pretty good.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Yeah, the insistence on having only first person for vehicles has always annoyed me in the Far Cry games. I mean, if they can allow third person into Ghost Recon Wildlands, I'm not sure why they care so much here.

I've pretty much finished up John's area and now I've been moving up north.

One thing I have noticed from this game is that I have been approaching it much differently than I did the other ones. I'm not sure if it's because of the slightly different environment, lack of fences around outposts, or just smaller outposts and things in general, but I have been doing much less stealth. Usually I would be sneaking up on enemies, throwing some rocks to distract one away and then do a bunch of stealth kills and regularly using the stealth combos. I haven't done a single stealth combo in this one and my Takedowns tend to be one-the-run with only a few being truly stealth.
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member

That hasn't been my experience with the game. I've take down a bunch of outposts with the "Undetected" bonus. I pretty much always take out the snipers/lookouts without any reaction from the outpost. Sometimes they see/hear me take out the alarm boxes, but if I can get those clean, then undetected is pretty likely to happen.

What weapon are you using?

I'm still clearing these out as Undetected, but it takes an extra amount of time (and it's extremely frustrating) because of this issue. I'm not exaggerating when I say that every enemy is immediately alerted to my presence and location, no matter how far away I am or how well hidden. I'll take the shot on some bozo way off by himself and the music will instantly kick into "oh no, they're aware of you" mode and all of the guys I've scanned come clumping up at the side of whatever hill I'm on. Depending on the location, they may clamber up to my exact spot. Fortunately, I'm far enough away that I can see them coming and go hide in some bushes, usually, but I have had some moments where I've restarted the location due to what feels like an unfair disadvantage.

I've wondered if it's not my specific weapon, somehow (I'm using a shiny gold one that I think came free with the version of the game I bought), though the silencer I bought for it doesn't seem to indicate that it's not going to work.