Bought a Nintento Switch [ NS ] - game/accessory recommendations?

Purge
Purge
I traded in the Wii U and some games for the Switch, ended up paying only 30bux for it total (after some private sales of low-trade-value games).

I bought a used Zelda cartridge and I picked up (digitally):
- Blaster Master 0
- some twin-stick shooter that reminds me of Geometry Wars
- Classic Super Mario Bros (for the music of 1-2 alone )
- Mario Kart 8

I was thinking of Golf Story, I wish SFIIUltra wasn't $50 (CAD), and there were a few games I wish-listed (not that you can find them in that horrid storefront...

A buddy is lending me Super Mario so I don't have to buy it.

Any other must-have titles? I hear there is a really good MetroidVania game (don't recall the title).

Comments

• Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    If you plan to play predominantly in docked mode, get the pro controller. It really is a better controller than the joy con controller converter that comes with the Switch.

The Metroidvania game you refer to might be Cave Story.
    I also recommend Mario vs Rabbids. It's basically like XCom masquerading as a Mario game.
    I second Golf Story. It's easy to play, quirky, and a lot fun.
    Also, if you never played it on Wii U, Bayonetta 1 and 2.
  • JCC
    JCC
    GT Member
    If you plan to play predominantly in docked mode, get the pro controller. It really is a better controller than the joy con controller converter that comes with the Switch.
    /quote]

Seconded. Worth the ridiculous price. Great controller.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member edited March 14
    JCC wrote: »

Seconded. Worth the ridiculous price. Great controller.

I'd been considering one of these, but hadn't looked at the price until now. $70? Get bent, Nintendo.

Be sure to get a screen protector, as putting it in the dock can scratch the screen without one.

In terms of recommendations, everyone but me seems to love Zelda. Portable Skyrim is awesome if you travel a lot. Bayonetta 2 is amazing, if you haven't played it already. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is very good, just be warned it is a looooooooooong game (far too long, imo). Little B 9.0 loves Splatoon 2.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    I have loved Skyrim on it both in handheld and docked.

Stardew valley is very enjoyable as well.

Personally I found golf story to be annoying. I am constantly trying to figure out where to go or what to do instead of playing golf. When I can do that it is fun but I spend most of my time talking to everyone trying to advance the story.

• Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    So I have a protector, and a case and rubber covers for the joycon sticks and the joycons themselves.

I haven't bought a charge base. I don't REALLY want to buy more Joycons, I find them to be too small to be comfortable.

I hear the wireless controller has rumble, but the wired ones are just as good without the rumble and half the price.

I have a converter I picked up from Amazon to use an XB1 / PS4 controller. I'll report back my findings.

I was thinking of getting a portable dock that allows me to connect to a TV without having to unplug all the things.

I was thinking of Axiom Verge. I own that now, and Fe, as well as MarioKart 8.5 (allaupdates). I have Zelda and bought the DLC (I hear it integrates well and seems almost like it was cut off due to launch date needs). I also have a few other games (The Geometry Wars' game) and Blaster Master 0. I also own The Bridge.

I finally found the "wishlist" in the store.

It's like they DON'T WANT people using online. :/

I dunno how to connect to friends online. If this thing exists (I'm in the free beta at the moment) I'd gladly share my connection info.

I suspect typing it out will wear out my num pad.
  • katamaris4ever
    katamaris4ever
    GT Editor
    If you want a cheap fighting game, I'd recommend Brawlout if you're into Smash. Not sure the CAD price but it's $20 USD. A little barebones, but the core gameplay is very addictive. If you want to go full priced, I'd also give Pokken Tournament DX a try, especially if you haven't played the original on Wii U.

Other cheaper games I'd recommend are Slime-San (if you lie Meat Boy-esque platformers), Snipperclips (great co-op for two players), Sky Force Reloaded (AWESOME shoot-em-up for $10 USD), and Sonic Mania.
  • Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    I bought a Wireless Pro Controller, the LOZ wired controller, I have the adapter for XB1 controller (as yet untested) and then the joycons (with snap-in housings that provide a shape much like the PS2 controllers).

Buddy of mine lent me the odyssey's of Mario.

Ended up playing more Axiom Verge, and then Jeep Stuff All Weekend kept me from that.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    I broke down and picked up a Pro Controller, and was pleasantly surprised. It's an excellent piece of equipment, and absolutely worth the extra $10 they charge for it.
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    Purge wrote: »
    the LOZ wired controller

I got that too and amusingly, it's not good for LoZ because it doesn't appear to have the motion sensors so there are certain things in LoZ it can't do.