State of Decay 2 [PC/XB1]

EngineNo9
EngineNo9
The first State of Decay was on of my favorite games of the last generation and a wonderful surprise from nowhere. It is one of the only games that I felt actually got the true zombie survival feeling right.

Microsoft has announced that State of Decay 2 will be releasing on May 22nd, and the regular edition coming out for only $30 with the Ultimate Edition coming for $50. They told IGN that the price is kept low to get as many people in the game as possible, which is fine by me. http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/03/06/state-of-decay-2-release-date-price-announced-a-ign-first

The Ultimate Edition will come with an XB1 copy of State of Decay: Year One Survival Edition, 4-day early start to play the new game, and the two add-on packs that will come later. Like all of Microsoft's other first party games this year it is both Play Anywhere and going to be part of the Game Pass program.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/state-of-decay-2-preorder/9pjrsk0h5kc6
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/state-of-decay-2-ultimate-edition-preorder/9n1x7cd94chm

Preorder either version to get the "Prepper's Pack":
The Prepper's Pack contains:
Melee Weapon - Grasscutter: It may not be an immortal blade from ancient history, but it sure slices through zombies as if it were.
Vehicle - Rhames V (Tiger Claw paint job): A modern truck with a custom paint job.

Supplies:
• Materials - Rucksack of materials. Used for building up and maintaining your base.
• Food - Rucksack of food. Used for feeding your Survivors.
• Skill Book: Gardening - Teaches one of your Survivors the basic Gardening skill. Requires an empty skill slot.
• Facility Mod: Garden Tools - An array of pro-grade cultivation tools. Install this mod in a Garden or Farm to increase our yield.
• 2x 6-slot Backpack
• 5x Boxes of Seeds - Used for upgrading gardens and farms, as well as for boosting their yields.
• Assorted vegetable and herb seeds, useful for growing crops.
• 6x Molotovs - This improvised incendiary bursts on contact, creating a moderate-sized area of burning death.
Tagged:

Comments

• coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    They would have to do something pretty terrible to scare me off this one. I think I bought the first one three times in total. xbox, PC then year one survival edition on PC.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member edited March 7
    IGN has ~25 minutes of coop gameplay that basically shows it is more State of Decay, which is exactly what I wanted.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2018/03/07/state-of-decay-2-25-minutes-of-4-player-co-op-multiplayer-ign-first
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Did you guys play this more on Xbox or PC, any recommendations?

Also is this totally open world type of game? Is Co-Op like Left For Dead or some other game?
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member edited March 8
    rittchard wrote: »
    Did you guys play this more on Xbox or PC, any recommendations?

Also is this totally open world type of game? Is Co-Op like Left For Dead or some other game?

I played the first one a crapton on my 360 when it first came out, and then I played it again on the PC when it came out there. It is amazing and worth buying on either platform (just get the Year One Survival Edition at this point, it comes with all the DLC and some minor upgrades). With the essentially endless mode they added as one of the DLC's you can play for hours and hours and hours.

Rather than Left For Dead, I'd say it's maybe more along the lines of what you could imagine from a single player DayZ.

There is no coop in the first game, it's all you with AI teammates. But it is totally open world, you explore the map for resources and to rescue survivors, bring them back to your base, and either upgrade your base or go try to establish one in a new area if it's a bigger or better location. As you get bigger bases you can do deeper into the management side of building little farms and such to provide resources for your survivor camp, as well as sending them out on missions and stuff.

You always have to balance going on resource gathering and search trips vs trying to avoid the hordes. More aggressive types of zombies come out at night, and there are certain "bigger" ones that can kill you almost immediately if they catch you. If you die it is permadeath, so you lose that character. But you can switch to any others you have saved along the way, which you also have to do to maximize not getting worn out and their skillsets. Also things like vehicles are limited, so if you keep blowing them up you'll eventually run out.

• Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    It'll be included day1 on GamePass, IIRC
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Purge wrote: »
    It'll be included day1 on GamePass, IIRC

Yup, as stated in the original post. :wink:
  • Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    ... I meant at day 1, rather than "included in". Financially MS could release it two or three months from then (let's say mid-aug) to get people to sign up.

Anyways, I'm not going to go out of my way for this game. I have too much to play and not enough time (or interest).
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member edited March 12
    Apparently there will also be a $70 Collector's edition, which piqued my interest until I saw what was in it isn't really for me:
    • exclusive SteelBook case
    • a human brain SteelBook stand
    • latex zombie mask
    • 4GB “thumb-drive"
    • a State of Decay 2 patch
    Read more at https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/03/12/survive-state-decay-2-collectors-edition/

State-of-Decay-2_Collector-Edition-hero.png
  • drifter
    drifter
    GT Member
    Already pre-ordered the $49.99 version.
  • Suitably Ironic Moniker
    Suitably Ironic Moniker
    GT Member
    I’m sure we’ll be getting a fair amount of free patches after the game is released.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    I’m sure we’ll be getting a fair amount of free patches after the game is released.

:lol: I don't doubt it!