General Streaming Chat (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon)

rittchard
rittchard
I really liked the idea of the General Movie Chat thread, so I thought I'd start a similar one up here for shows/movies on streaming channels. It's a little redundant, but I get conflicted whether something I watch on Netflix is "TV" or a movie, so I like having this new space for it.

I recently started Altered Carbon on Netflix. It's kind of a mix between Blade Runner, the Matrix series and some other sci-fi shows. As much as I love the concept, there's something weird about the show itself that seems to be making me and my partner both fall asleep during virtually every episode lol. I know that's not a good review for it - I actually think people may enjoy it.

I'm also watching a new show on Amazon called Absentia, starring Stana Katic from Castle. This one actually keeps me awake for whatever reason. It's about an FBI agent who disappears for 6 years but comes back and tries to solve the mystery of who kidnapped her - but everyone seems to think she is the actual criminal and kidnapped herself. Pretty intriguing but I don't see how they can sustain this for multiple seasons.

I'm planning to watch a new sci-fi movie on Netflix called Mute. It's received absolutely horrible reviews but that won't stop me. It's got Alexander Skaarsgard, Paul Rudd, Sam Rockwell and Justin Theroux so they could basically sit around doing nothing and I'd still watch it.

P.S. Also if anyone else likes to watch (bad) horror movies, I'm also free to discuss those cuz I watch a bunch of them.

Comments

• uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager
    Altered Carbon is fantastic, though I did think the last 2-3 episodes were the weakest of the series. On the whole, I really liked it, tho.

Mike Dunn
    Executive Producer & Editor-at-Large
    GAMING TREND

• EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    rittchard wrote: »
    I'm planning to watch a new sci-fi movie on Netflix called Mute. It's received absolutely horrible reviews but that won't stop me. It's got Alexander Skaarsgard, Paul Rudd, Sam Rockwell and Justin Theroux so they could basically sit around doing nothing and I'd still watch it.

Bummer that it's getting bad reviews. It is the new movie from Duncan Jones (Moon), so I had high hopes for it.

Netflix keeps churning out mediocre crap that brings them in a ton of money and I'm afraid they're learning the wrong lessons from it...

• uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager
    EngineNo9 wrote: »
    Netflix keeps churning out mediocre crap that brings them in a ton of money and I'm afraid they're learning the wrong lessons from it...

? They are putting out a LOT of content, with varying degrees of quality, and a sizable amount of it is actually good. I'm thinking their track record is actually pretty solid.

Stranger Things
    Master of None
    Altered Carbon
    Voltron
    Black Mirror
    Orange is the New Black
    Daredevil
    Luke Cage
    Jessica Jones
    A Series of Unfortunate Events
    The Get Down
    House of Cards

That's just what I can name off the top of my head...

Mike Dunn
    GAMING TREND

• TheEgoWhip
    TheEgoWhip
    GT Member
    uxFOOL wrote: »
    Altered Carbon is fantastic, though I did think the last 2-3 episodes were the weakest of the series. On the whole, I really liked it, tho.

I loved it, too. I had to rewatch the 1st episode just to wrap my head around everything that it started, but once it got rolling it sucked me right in.

I have seen most of those original content shows from Netflix, and even though they are all done with a variable amount of success, i am excited that they are sinking the capital into creating so much new content. I can't imagine a show like Altered Carbon making the cut on any traditional broadcast medium.

You can add Bright to the list of Netflix originals that I liked, moreso than the critics. I am also halfway through the 1st season of the Crown.

I haven't found anything quite as gripping on my Prime streaming channel, and we use Hulu to kepe up with a handful of network original series.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    I didn't say Netflix hadn't done anything of quality, just that they are spending more and more money on things that make money, regardless of quality. And they have clearly stated they are happy about that with criticism for something like Bright (the response to which I only heard constant complaints from users on Twitter as well):
    “[Film critics] speak to specific audiences who care about quality, or how objectively good or bad a movie is—not the masses who are critical for determining whether a film makes money.”

They spent a shitload of money on Bright, and are already working on a sequel specifically because it made money.

They made a huge deal with Adam Sandler, out of which came some of the absolute worst movies I've ever seen.

You may have liked Altered Carbon, but most people I have heard from didn't like it much at all.

Then there is The Cloverfield Paradox, another one that was not well received. And now Mute from Duncan Jones.

Those are a lot of big misses from big names. They have done some great TV shows, but they've put out a whole lot more things that fly under the radar or get buried.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    I don't want to turn this into a complaints thread, so on a happier note the second half of Season 1 of The Tick is now live on Amazon Prime.
  • Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member

From time to time, there will be gems, but I agree. And they seem to be focusing an awful lot on the same spectrum. For as big as Netflix is, I'd expect way more variety from them, but a majority of their stuff is just dark. Or to put it another way, a lot of their stuff I wouldn't want to watch with parents around.

A few standouts though: The Crown, Flaked (which I hope gets a 3rd season), Okja (which was surprisingly good) and Godless, the western series by Soderberg. I'd like to see a bit more lighter fare from them.

One thing I found myself really enjoying was Gypsy, but they canned that after one season before it even really got a chance to get itself going. It was more a of a show with a slow burn and a story that got more interesting as it went along.
  • uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager
    You may have liked Altered Carbon, but most people I have heard from didn't like it much at all.

You are the first person I have heard from that didn't.

I think the point you are missing is that Netflix is taking more chances with their programming, that is bound to result in some hits and a bunch of stuff that just doesn't work out. I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the variety of programming of recent months.

Watching the new episodes of The Tick right now, and I have to say I like this batch MUCH more than the previous batch.

Mike Dunn
    GAMING TREND

• EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    I just watched the movie Logan Lucky on Amazon the other night and thought it was better than expected based on the 3.5 stars it had. Very much in the same vein of other "heist with some comedy" movies like Ocean's 11 and The Ladykillers.

Also probably the first thing I've seen Adam Driver in where I didn't hate his character, haha.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Watching the new episodes of The Tick right now, and I have to say I like this batch MUCH more than the previous batch.

Yeah, I'm really digging the new episodes as well. Glad that Amazon gave this character/universe another chance at life!
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    I just watched the movie Logan Lucky on Amazon the other night and thought it was better than expected based on the 3.5 stars it had. Very much in the same vein of other "heist with some comedy" movies like Ocean's 11 and The Ladykillers.

Also probably the first thing I've seen Adam Driver in where I didn't hate his character, haha.

I watched it the other night, too! For me, it was more disappointing than expected, based on its 93% score on Rotten Tomatoes (and the very favorable reviews I remembered seeing and hearing). It was fine, but it seemed to amount to not much.

Yeah, I'm really digging the new episodes as well. Glad that Amazon gave this character/universe another chance at life!

I'm also enjoying them! I just hope that it does well enough to bring all of the episodes of the cartoon to streaming.
  • Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member

Me too. I had low expectations but was really surprised at how good it was. There were some hilarious scenes and lines and it really did feel like a redneck Ocean's 11.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    I finished the first season of Amazon's Absentia - if you like crime thrillers/dramas with some twists, it was all in all very watchable. Clearly I consumed all 10 episodes faster than I watch most stuff. There are definitely some annoying plot points, so I try not to think about it and just follow the action. I never watched Castle but Stana Katic really impressed me here.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    I read an interview a while ago and the guy from Netflix was saying something to the effect that they were almost having too many "successes" in terms of critical acceptance. He said if there weren't any flops it might mean they weren't taking enough risks with their content. So that could explain some of the recent misfires.

The other interesting thing for me is their steals/deals with previously "mainstream" network producers, first Shonda Rhimes and now Ryan Murphy. Haven't heard much on what kind of shows they have in mind, but it seems like either/both of them could kind of change the face of the trends we are currently seeing.
  • Isgrimnur
    Isgrimnur
    GT Member edited February 26
    There was a creator interview posted somewhere that basically said that, once Netflix said yes to a project, their interaction with the production team was where to send the check, and that was it.

It should sell the point that these aren't Netflix's failures, it's the failure of those making the content to make good content. Netflix just ends up holding the check. Obviously, it impact their brand, as it's their name all over it, but if the creators are being given complete creative control, then it's not Netflix's fault when the result is not good.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Isgrimnur wrote: »
    There was a creator interview posted somewhere that basically said that, once Netflix said yes to a project, their interaction with the production team was where to send the check, and that was it.

It should sell the point that these aren't Netflix's failures, it's the failure of those making the content to make good content. Netflix just ends up holding the check. Obviously, it impact their brand, as it's their name all over it, but if the creators are being given complete creative control, then it's not Netflix's fault when the result is not good.

That's still a bit vague though. How much goes into them "saying yes to a project"? It could be as minimal as they get a rough pitch and give the go ahead, to as complicated as they get the script, budget cast and production plan, etc. Like with Cloverfield, did someone just say hey I found this wacky sci-fi script, I can shove it into the Cloverfield universe using 5 seconds of footage? And then Netflix was like, BOOM, APPROVED!
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Isgrimnur wrote: »

That's still a bit vague though. How much goes into them "saying yes to a project"? It could be as minimal as they get a rough pitch and give the go ahead, to as complicated as they get the script, budget cast and production plan, etc. Like with Cloverfield, did someone just say hey I found this wacky sci-fi script, I can shove it into the Cloverfield universe using 5 seconds of footage? And then Netflix was like, BOOM, APPROVED!

My understanding of the Cloverfield Paradox is that it was actually a fully produced movie that another studio was going to bury and then Netflix bought it, did some re-shoots and editing and rebranded it as a Cloverfield movie.
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    I read an article recently that talked about Amazon Prime's staggering push into Sci Fi and Fantasy.

Most people have heard about the Lord of the Rings series they're making (because they paid a staggering amount of money to do it), but they've also bought the rights to Wheel of Time, Ringworld, Lazarus (which is a Greg Rucka comic) and Snow Crash. Plus Ian M. Bank's Culture series and The Dark Tower, to boot!

I would say those are pretty strong moves, getting into some of the best in those fields!
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Whoa I had no idea Amazon was doing all that. Exciting! Not sure how they will handle Wheel of Time, though, there's like 50 years of material in the books lol.
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    It may not all come to pass, of course. Hopefully, they'll all at least get pilots.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Speaking of pilots, I do generally like how Amazon makes their pilots public and allows you to give feedback on them.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    I don't know if it belongs here, but might as well. HBO released a trailer for their Fahrenheit 451 movie coming this spring. I love the book so was kind of excited to see this announced, but I definitely wouldn't picture Michael B Jordan as the main character, he's just too...brooding and thuggish?

• Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    Yeah, wasn't the point in the novel was that he was just an ordinary looking guy that got caught up in it due to his love of books?
  • uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager
    Rumpy wrote: »
    Yeah, wasn't the point in the novel was that he was just an ordinary looking guy that got caught up in it due to his love of books?

No, the lead character was a "fireman" who got disillusioned with burning books

Mike Dunn
    GAMING TREND

• Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    Yeah, I know. But his appearance wasn't threatening. He was a mild-mannered guy with a job that ended up destroying what he enjoyed.
  • uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager
    I mean, it's been a while since I read it, but I recall him being a fireman who at one point started bringing books home to figure out what the fuss was about, and only really started to question things after a neighbor girl talks about free thinking and such and then disappears.

Mike Dunn
    GAMING TREND

• Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member edited February 28
    Yes, that's about the gist of it. He eventually becomes a target because he's been keeping books and because of his outside-the-box thoughts.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Yeah, the point is that the main character in the book wasn't a brooding anti-hero or start off with a chip on his shoulder, the way Michael B Jordan's characters always seem to play out (and the way he looks in that trailer).
  • uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager edited February 28
    Yeah, the point is that the main character in the book wasn't a brooding anti-hero or start off with a chip on his shoulder, the way Michael B Jordan's characters always seem to play out (and the way he looks in that trailer).

"The novel's protagonist, Guy Montag, takes pride in his work with the fire department. A third-generation fireman, Montag fits the stereotypical role, with his "black hair, black brows…fiery face, and…blue-steel shaved but unshaved look." Montag takes great joy in his work and serves as a model of twenty-fourth-century professionalism. Reeking of cinders and ash, he enjoys dressing in his uniform, playing the role of a symphony conductor as he directs the brass nozzle toward illegal books, and smelling the kerosene that raises the temperature to the required 451 degrees Fahrenheit — the temperature at which book paper ignites. In his first eight years of employment, Montag even joined in the firemen's bestial sport of letting small animals loose and betting on which ones the Mechanical Hound would annihilate first."

https://www.cliffsnotes.com/literature/f/fahrenheit-451/character-analysis/guy-montag

That doesn't really conflict with the portrayal I saw in that trailer in my opinion (except for the physical description), though they certainly are taking some liberties from the source material (which isn't too surprising)

Mike Dunn
    GAMING TREND

• Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    Well, taking pride in his work with the fire-department is one thing, but it doesn't mean he has to be thuggish even though their ways are very authoritarian. In fact, the fact that he changes his outlook on the whole practice, and is willing to change and see it for what it is shows that he's trapped in the system doing its bidding, out of not knowing any better.