Kingdom Come: Deliverance discussion

Knightshade_Dragon
Knightshade_Dragon
http://www.gamingtrend.com/feature/reviews/kingdom-come-deliverance-review-in-progress/

I'm still working on my review (and frankly raising an eyebrow on those who published theirs this morning as the final rebalancing patch that fixed a LOT of bugs was only released this morning...) but I've also included the first hour of the game on PC at Ultra settings. I recorded it at 4K (but rendered it at 1080p because my ISP and their 6mb upload speed sucks) so you can see what the game is capable of delivering. The mechanics for lockpicking, pickpocketing, and especially alchemy is different than any other game I've played, so I included some footage for that too.

Anyone else jumping on this train? I think it's pretty amazing, and I would hate for people to miss out on it...

Ron Burke
Editor in Chief
GAMING TREND

Xbox Gamertag: Gaming Trend
PS4 Tag: GamingTrend

Comments

• coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    I think I will give it a shot but not for a while yet. I have time to see how things turn out. Monster Hunter World is holding my attention solidly for now. I definitely like what I have seen with the unique way they are handling so many different things. Just the different ways the first couple hours can play out is pretty cool. The only question mark in my mind still is the combat. I like a solid combat engine (See Monster Hunter World, but also Bloodborne, The Surge, Dark Souls, etc) and this is different enough to make me a bit cautious.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    I am definitely interested, but waiting to see how the final game turned out (especially with that gigantic launch day patch fixing and balancing so much).

That 20% off at GMG that JZ mentioned might be enough to tempt me, assuming things are looking good.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    The graphics and setting look fantastic so I am tempted to get it just as a "tech demo". But... the gameplay sounds frustrating and decidedly not fun to me. If I wanted to be a loser not skilled at anything I'd just live my regular life lol. I know a lot of people like super "realistic" games, but I'm not one of them. What I might do is just check the game out and let myself get super irritated and frustrated, then wait for a patch that lets me kick everyone's ass that was mean to me.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    PC Gamer has some tips that might help you enjoy the early game a bit more:
    https://www.pcgamer.com/kingdom-come-deliverance-beginners-guide/
  • MonkeyFinger
    MonkeyFinger
    GT Member
    Yikes, waiting on the 25+ GB patch to download on my PS4....
  • shon
    shon
    GT Member
    Played for about 20 minutes and was doing one of the first quests and got into my first brawl which lasted over 5 minutes and I lost. So the quest said find another way to complete it so as the guy was waking away I hit him from behind a couple of times and he went down and surrendered. I let him go but said he had to leave his weapon behind which was the quest item. After he walked away I tried to pick up the item and it wouldn't let me. So I think I just busted the first quest and will have to start over.

• Dante Rising
    Dante Rising
    GT Member
    I preordered it for $29, so I couldn't resist. But I'll wait until one or two more patches before I dive in. I do that with all games this robust- The Witcher, Elder Scrolls, Divinity, etc.
  • jztemple2
    jztemple2
    GT Member
    Well, I guess it's up to me to post some impressions, cross-posted from OO, but then I'll update both threads. First my old post:
    So far I've had some mixed impressions. Partly it is due to my rather limited ability to think outside the box which is not a fault of the game, but if you are the kind that can scratch your, err, head and get a Eureka! moment you might find this challenging rather than frustrating. I did resort to using the wiki but again, that's more because I tend to get locked into what I think is the only viable solution and total miss what is probably obvious to everyone else.

The voice acting is excellent and the story telling very, very good. The graphics are, for me, OK as I'm running on Medium quality due to my GTX 780, but I'm not the kind that cares about graphics very much. It is a living, breathing world although there are a few annoyances, like NPCs who have nothing different to say than the last few you asked, but you don't know that till you ask them. The Codex has not only a lot of gameplay help, but a great amount of information on the region, the real life people you meet, what was going in the world and lots of other info. Including what people did for toilets.

By using the Steam guide How to remove the need for Saviour Schnapps I'm able to save when I want to and as often as I want. Just be sure to follow the direction near the bottom that modifies the MM_IngameMenu.xml file which is what I did. And keep deleting older saves as the game does limit you on the total number you can have, or at least it did me.

So I'll keep playing and posting impressions. Post any questions you might have.
  • jztemple2
    jztemple2
    GT Member
    I'm eight hours in and here are a few more thoughts. As has been mentioned in some reviews, the first few hours of the game don't really represent the gameplay you'll see later on. Instead it establishes who you are, the big events that start off the main campaign and let you experience the good old early 1400s where life was cheap, might made right and nobody had flush toilets. So don't get frustrated if all your skills suck in the first few hours. In those first few hours the gameplay is very linear and you'll die a lot because 1) you didn't run fast enough or 2) you picked a fight with the wrong guy.

It's only when you get to Rattay that you get to experience what the gameplay is like. It's a very detailed world, although unlike a lot of open world games, there aren't many things you can actually pick up, hoard and sell. So no grabbing every plate, cup and saucer so you can trade them away for money. You'l go through homes and businesses without finding much to abscond with. And like in an Elder Scrolls game, you'll talk to a lot of folks and find a few jobs to do to make some money. Me, I'm just doing some housebreaking and fist fighting for cash.

Also, as has been mentioned, you'll want to find a horse to be able to move faster and store more. However, this isn't really necessary since I've been on foot so far in Rattay and it is slower but not a problem. And I guess we're not simulating having to feed a horse, which could run to a pretty groshen.

For those wondering what the game is like, I'd say imagine Skyrim or Oblivion but completely based on the real world of 1403 AD Bohemia; no magic, no mages, no pretty faeries or lurking trolls under bridges. And no dragons. But the voice acting has been good and the world details in armor, clothing and other items is excellent, so it really depends on what you are looking for in an RPG.

• jztemple2
    jztemple2
    GT Member
    Cross posted from OO:
    Blackhawk wrote:
    Yeah, my first thought on hearing about it was to wonder whether it was fun, or is it one of those games where they try to make it as frustrating as possible for the niche that enjoy that type of experience, where the concept of the game trumps gameplay. Limited saves and hardcore combat make me think the latter. Some of the marketing in particular made me wonder if this wasn't a reaction to the popularity of Skyrim to show what an RPG 'should' be.
    The default save system is pretty dumb in my opinion and if I hadn't been able to easily mod it out I'd probably have rage quit by now. But now I can save at any time except in the middle of combat and that's fine.

The combat can be tough, but mostly because you need to level up in skills and equipment. Just because you've managed to steal a nice pretty sword doesn't mean you know how to use it. You can get training from experts, get in practice and also read books to get better in a lot of areas. And there are a lot of areas. Here's screenshot with just some of them:
    3F8DD288A250A94B12415EB5FD247171B965D9BD

I don't really feel like the game was made to prove a point. I'm finding it a full blow RPG but set in a non-fantasy world. So while you don't need to develop your magic skill, you can develop your skill that "makes you more resistant to nefarious effects of alcohol". And isn't that what we all want? :D
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Normally I can't resist the forum effect but I think this one sounds frustrating enough that I'm going to wait for bug fixes, mods, and/or a good sale. Very happy to hear at least the save game has a work around. Hopefully there will be some other mods that appeal to lazy asses like me.
  • Travis
    Travis
    GT Member
    Ron,

What are you playing it on? I apologize if I missed that. I have a 1070 and don't like gaming in less than 1440. Think the game will play well as it is in that resolution with the Ultra settings?
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    They have said they're working on new save system and some other changes based on feedback:
    We Heard You - Kingdom Come: Deliverance
    Hey Everyone,

We are absolutely ecstatic about the support and feedback that we have received from YOU, our fans. We are focused, dedicated, and committed to making Kingdom Come: Deliverance a truly fantastic experience for everyone who plays the game.

We have heard you all and lockpicking is something that we will be working on to make it better. Not only that but having a save and quit feature is something that we will take a very close look at, along with some other "things" as well!

Source:

Also: Turning off VSYNC is available in the in-game menu. In the next patch: You will have the option to set specific anti-aliasing modes.

Warhorse Studios thanks you for all your feedback and support!

Oh, and a big HAPPY Valentines Day to all of you beautiful people out there!!!

Rick

US Community Manager
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Also, thanks for the impressions, JZ! Definitely appreciate hearing firsthand how it plays and you like it.
  • Travis
    Travis
    GT Member
    jztemple2 wrote: »
    For those wondering what the game is like, I'd say imagine Skyrim or Oblivion but completely based on the real world of 1403 AD Bohemia

Is there a story so to speak? I couldn't get into the Elder Scrolls games because I couldn't find a story really. The Witcher games were awesome to me as were the Dragon Age games (they did have their issues). I go back to Ultima 5 for my intro to CRPGS but I guess I need a feeling of story and a compelling plot to play within that RPG structure.
  • jztemple2
    jztemple2
    GT Member
    Travis wrote: »
    jztemple2 wrote: »
    For those wondering what the game is like, I'd say imagine Skyrim or Oblivion but completely based on the real world of 1403 AD Bohemia

Is there a story so to speak? I couldn't get into the Elder Scrolls games because I couldn't find a story really. The Witcher games were awesome to me as were the Dragon Age games (they did have their issues). I go back to Ultima 5 for my intro to CRPGS but I guess I need a feeling of story and a compelling plot to play within that RPG structure.

Yes, there is an overarching story. Your parents have been killed by bad men (this is in all the trailers, so it's not a spoiler). You are a lowly son of a blacksmith, who had a mysterious past, so a local noble is helping you a bit. However, it is up to you to learn skills, gain knowledge and acquire the means to eventually track down and destroy the bad men.

And like in all good RPGs, as you run around gaining these skills etc., you run into folks who need help, or who are willing to help you, but usually for a price or an obligation. And you also met interesting folks, find interesting places, and get faced with some serious moral dilemmas. I'm really enjoying the game now that I'm past the first few hours of combined tutorial and story introduction.

I would really, seriously recommend using that mod for game saving I've mentioned above. Otherwise you are going to drive yourself crazy redoing a lot of things, or avoiding taking risks, which is missing out on some of the fun of the game. Some folks call it save-scumming, I call it my personal game playing style!
  • jztemple2
    jztemple2
    GT Member
    By the way, lock picking is very hard at first, which is why you have to develop your skills. And you can do that in ways other than just picking locks, like... (minor spoiler for alternate method)
    reading a book. Really!

Also lock picking is a pain using a controller, but significantly easier with mouse and keyboard. FTW with the PC!
  • jztemple2
    jztemple2
    GT Member
    So I've got 22 hours in the game now, not bad for a game that I didn't start playing till Tuesday morning, two days ago.

I'm still running into some minor issues with the save system mod I'm using, found in this Steam Guide. As mentioned toward the bottom of the guide, the game has a limit of 300 named saves, even if the total you have is far less. There is a workaround just to load the game, delete all the saves, then save again, which resets the save to number 1. However, sometimes this doesn't work quite right, so I've gotten into the habit of just deleting older saves until I only have three or four saves in total. However, all this is pretty minor and anyone who tinkers with mods and files and config files isn't going to be challenged by this.

Also I think I figured out my issue with my monitor turning really bright when I exit the game. It is because the game defaults to a borderless window to play and so when I do a gamma correction in the game it was being carried over to my desktop. An easy fix is to just switch the game to full screen mode. Well, I thought I did, but I'm still seeing it once in a while. I'm still tinkering.

Gameplay continues to be enjoyable. I'm just at the sixteen game day point. I'm at main level six. I don't know how many levels there are, but for each two levels you get a perk point you can spend and there are 23 perk points. I've completed 13 quests, but I've completely ignored the main campaign since I want to level up my skills. And there are so many skills. And you can't increase the level of a skill by training alone, you also have to go out and use that skill, like riding your horse a lot, or hunting dangerous game....
    C9FBF54543C515FB042EDA619CDE81B476E485FA

I've climbed to the top of a cathedral under construction. I've used first aid on the sick and pulled weeds for a monk. I've been in a sawmill, visited a quarry, partaken of fine meals with the nobles and eaten stuff from a pot over a fire in the middle of nowhere which oddly, was rather satisfying. In fact food is rather a non-issue in the game; it's rare that you need to carry food with you as there always seems to be a pot simmering near where I need to be.

Lock picking has gotten easier not only as I level up, but as I get used to the control layout. And it is important to pick locks whenever you get a chance to get in some practice. Pickpocket skill is getting up but more slowly. Speech is important for convincing folks to do something you want, so upping that skill is good, but so is wearing clothes that say "I'm important" and for heaven sakes, bathing occasionally :D.

And there is a Maintenance skill for taking care of your hardware. And sometimes you're going to need to use that hardware...
    8F5A6A4211E07F4BE530CD30D034542463D0DCD3
  • jztemple2
    jztemple2
    GT Member
    Cross posted from Octopus Overlords:
    Daehawk wrote:

Thanks Daehawk for linking to that wiki <3 . A couple of the items in that wiki that folks new to the game should read before they get in too deep (like I did, playing 24 hours before looking at them :# ) are Things to Do First in Kingdom Come and Things Not to Do in Kingdom Come. Even if you decide to skip these wikis so you can learn everything on your own like I did, the first entry of the latter item is really good advice, Don’t Ignore the Main Questline. After the introductory five hours, I completely ignored the main campaign. While I did have a lot of fun, when I got back to playing the main campaign quests it was rather odd since my character was treated as a lowly refugee from a razed town, even through by then I had already done a dozen quests, was decked out to the nines, had decent weapons, good starting skills and a few thousand Groschen. It's not really a problem, but the melee and archery practice I got early on in the the main campaign quests would have been helpful in those nineteen hours I played without it.
  • jztemple2
    jztemple2
    GT Member
    It's not exactly horse armor, but after thirty hours of play, my little Pebbles has a new frock!
    83378EDA63184E863B6386842562B3B8F042420C
  • MonkeyFinger
    MonkeyFinger
    GT Member
    I've got this on the PS4 and I think I'm going to hold off until they decide on what they are going to do about opening up the saving in the game.
  • jztemple2
    jztemple2
    GT Member
    I've got this on the PS4 and I think I'm going to hold off until they decide on what they are going to do about opening up the saving in the game.

I agree that it would be prudent to wait for a resolution of the saves issue for consoles. The whole concept of "Savior Snapps" might seem clever, but in the early game, once you are actually allowed to save your game (the intro does take a few hours and I wasn't really sure at what point I was able to start making saves) the limitation of having to use the drink to save, and that you only have a couple of bottles until you can find places and have the money to purchase it, would rather discourage me.
  • jztemple2
    jztemple2
    GT Member
    Not that there haven't been a few glitches. I tried to get my horse to jump a wall but he froze there instead. I dismounted and took the following picture, then I had to load a previous save.
    3BE450D82F4A8444067C3D00CB2853966D5A8F7C

But at least in 31 hours of playing I haven't had a crash, while lots of folks are reporting numerous crashes on a variety of hardware. While it may be just coincidental, one of the things I've found with my current Falcon Northwest rig (celebrating its fourth birthday) and my previous one is a almost total lack of crashing during games. The only games I can think of where this was a recurring issue was Just Cause 3, and somewhat less in Just Cause 2.
  • jztemple2
    jztemple2
    GT Member
    Cross posted from Octopus Overlords:
    baelthazar wrote:
    JZ, you are playing on PC with an Xbox controller? I was going to get this for PS4, but the consensus seems to be that the PC version is more stable and the save-anywhere mod is pretty much a big plus in the PC's favor.

I started with the X360 controller, but the keyboard and mouse seem to be better in some respects so I've switched to that. Also my controller is a bit out of adjustment and drifts, which I didn't like of course.

Another bug that I've had and that other folks are having on the PC is the gamma correction in the game. It is carried over to your desktop. Which for me has meant when I quit out of the game my monitor is really, really bright. I've tried countering it by turning down the gamma before I exit the game, but that's been rather hit of miss. Not a deal breaker, but annoying.
  • jztemple2
    jztemple2
    GT Member
    The things I do for you people :D. I posted the following on the Steam forum in response to a concern about the gamma setting in the game being carried over to the desktop when you quit the game:
    There is some issue in that the gamma setting in the game is getting copied over to the desktop and so when you start the game once again things are out of whack. I'm not 100% sure about how this works, but I'm guessing that in most games the game itself resets the gamma to what it was on the desktop before terminating. KCD isn't doing this I'm guessing, anyway it's the only game I can remember that kept applying the gamma correction to the desktop when I quit the game.

Anyway, I fixed it on my Nvidia card by going into the Nvidia Control Panel and making the change show in the image; under "2. Choose how the color is set" I selected "Use NVIDIA settings", which deselected the option "Other applications control color settings". Now when the game goes back to the desktop the default Nvidia settings kick in and I'm no longer getting snow blinded.

7XUjou9.jpg
  • jztemple2
    jztemple2
    GT Member
    I almost rage quit this game a little while ago. I can't really go into any details because of spoilers, but basically I spend several real world hours in a long chained quest that ended up in a big battle that ended up with me in a boss fight. Now I'm the guy who had to give up on Sleeping Dogs because of my fumble finger combo work and a boss battle in this game can be brutal. So I was ranting and muttering...

And then I asked myself, what would the unHenry do? You know, not the humble, brave, loyal blacksmith's son, but the guy who sees where this whole big quest is taking him, to someplace where he might get killed, for Heaven's sake, and not in any nice way. You know, like Harry Flashman? Yup, what would Harry, instead of Henry, do? Well, I tell you. I was just about to lean over to tell my boss's boss about this big fight and how I was going to help lead the troops. Nope, I decide. I left the room, went and got some sleep and then snuck out of the castle. And then I went to a bath house....

ejFFE0Y.jpg
  • Dante Rising
    Dante Rising
    GT Member
    I sooo badly want to play this game, but I'm hip deep in The Witcher 3, which after 150 hrs is still showing my completion rate at 37 percent. So I will probably play Kingdom Come in .....oh.....the year 2035.

I'm glad to see it is selling so well. 550,000 copies and climbing.