Weekend Playlist - 2/2/18 Edition

Soulchilde
Soulchilde
Plenty of Warframe for me as it still has it's hooks into me a major way. Will also binge on Altered Carbon on Netflix too

Comments

• coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    Monster Hunter World on PS4 and Kingdom Battles on Switch when I need a break from getting my ass handed to me by the monsters. I'm also recovering from back surgery so I am not supposed to sit still for more than 20 minutes at a time... which means I *should* avoid any new big monsters on Monster Hunter World... or get much better at hurting them.

• JoshDevlin
    JoshDevlin
    GT Editor
    @coopasonic Monster Hunter looks amazing. I've never played a MH game before, but this has me interested. How are you liking it so far?
  • JoshDevlin
    JoshDevlin
    GT Editor
    I'm going to be playing God of War III Remastered in anticipation of God of War. My girlfriend is a mythology buff, and hasn't played a GoW game since the first one, so she's equally excited.
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    JoshDevlin wrote: »
    @coopasonic Monster Hunter looks amazing. I've never played a MH game before, but this has me interested. How are you liking it so far?

I'm having a lot of fun with it. I tried a little bit of Monster Hunter Generations on 3DS last year, but it wasn't really clicking with me. I am not 100% sure why this one is working better for me, but I think the whole experience is put together better. I got bored with Generations before I got to the first real monster hunt because I was trying to go through all the tutorials to learn the systems.

In Worlds, I think they ease you into it a lot more smoothly. You don't have to go through a dozen different tutorial missions to figure out what's going on in the game. Now, there is still a lot of stuff going on and it takes a while to wrap your head around it all, but it just isn't as overwhelming as it seemed in earlier games.

I've played around 25 hours now and I feel like I have a good handle on what is going on. There are still plenty of monsters that are way past my ability level now, but you can see yourself getting stronger through the course of the game.

On the flip side, it can get pretty repetitive. In the end you are just hunting down one gargantuan beast after another to advance the story or to improve your gear or to get more research points or to unlock more food options for the canteen or to craft more traps or... I don't know why I am NOT bored with it yet. It seems like I should be but I guess that little bit of progress, learning, growing you can always feel happening in the background, makes up for the repetition.

Sorry for rambling... pain meds.