Monster Hunter World Catch-All

2»

Comments

• Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member edited February 12
    coopasonic wrote: »
    Advancing is boss fights, but once you've moved past a mob it should become a lot easier and just a quick kill for parts. But never let your guard down because anything can kill you!

This makes me wonder if I missing something major in regards to upgrading weapons. I find that I almost always have the parts for new armor after defeating a monster (or farming it a couple times), but the weapon upgrading seems to be far, far slower. I'm gradually upgrading my defensive capabilities, but don't seem to be matching it with additional offense. So I have better survivability and have a better idea of how to avoid specific attacks, but the mobs still take just as long to kill.

There's a bunch of weapon upgrade options with a big red "This weapon cannot be crafted yet" message, but I'm not really sure what unlocks them. I'm assuming I need parts from a monster I haven't beaten yet?

Also, should I bother spending Armor Spheres on this low grade stuff, or am I better off saving them for higher tier gear?
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    The low end armor spheres are a dime a dozen, use them or save them, it hardly matters since you change armor so often. Once you get to High Rank armor (you will know) then you want to invest them a little more responsibly. But with bounties you get an endless stream of armor spheres.

Weapon upgrades, you have to look at the base weapon, there are several different base weapons (Ore and Bone to start, but more show up soon after) and you have to build down the tree step by step. You can't jump to the 4th one over, you have to upgrade to the second then the third, then the fourth.

And it's not necessarily the damage amount but the damage type. After the initial weapons you start getting into the different damage types that do a lot more when they line up with a monsters weakness. The other thought is that with sword and board you are paying a price for that defense and that price is paid in offense (and reach).
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member edited February 13
    Yeah, I definitely need a new weapon. Tried taking down an Arjonath (?, the big T-rex dude in the Ancient Forest) in Expedition mode last night. Got him within a sliver of dying (he was limping SO badly), I couldn't quite finish him off before he left the area. So I obviously need a little more ooomph in my attacks.

I don't really use the shield block very often, but I really like the mobility that the sword and shield provides. Getting stuck in those slow Hammer swing animations and not being able to dodge was driving me nuts. Will be doing some experimenting tonight to see what other options might work.

I did figure out that the materials I need for the next grade weapon are in an area I don't have access to yet. Hence why I couldn't upgrade it yet.
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    Yeah the Anjanath is the first big Skill/gear check. He's a totally different ball game from Great Jagras and Kulu Ya Ku. Have you played around in the training area? It's a nice plce to figure out how different weapon work. Try the Long Sword and Insect Glaive. They are both more offense focused but faster than the big hitters like the Hammer and Great Sword. Glaive has insane mobility, Long Sword is less mobile but also less complicated.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    Getting better, slowly but surely. Took down two Anjanath tonight, along with a couple Barroth. Only died twice on each Anj try, and one of those was a camera death (got backed into a corner and couldn’t see what he was doing). His stun + charge is brutal if you miss the dodge. It one-hit me. :( Such a satisfying feeling when you land that final killing blow.

Need one more part to make the Anjanath fire blade, which gives a rather large bump in attack. Hopefully will get that tomorrow.

Think I might actually just stick with sword and shield. The thought of grinding the parts to upgrade another weapon from scratch makes my head hurt.
  • Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    Glaive is amazing sofar. Mounting isn't effortless, but I can get up on a monster fairly consistently.
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    Gratch wrote: »
    Think I might actually just stick with sword and shield. The thought of grinding the parts to upgrade another weapon from scratch makes my head hurt.

Dude, you have no freaking idea. I am maintaining SIX weapons. I need to upgrade all of them. It shouldn't be a grind especially up through Rank 5 or so. Like 3 hunts should be enough for anything that doesn't have rare ingredients, which shouldn't be anything in the low ranks. If the piece you need is not a carve/break only piece then you are going to be better off capturing than killing and doing it through an investigation than through an expedition. Investigation is *always* better than expedition and capturing is usually better than killing (except for carve only parts).

Just so you understand, you can't really use ONE weapon through the whole game. That Anja weapon is good for the low rank monsters and the few high rank monsters that are weak to fire, but you are really going to need to branch out, not necessarily in weapon types, but in damage types. You could take the opportunity to branch on both at the same time.
  • whiteboyskim
    whiteboyskim
    GT Member
    I'm using the sword/super axe combo (forget the name) and it's an interesting weapon. It's taken a while to get the feel of it and the timing on it is a tad slow, but you can really lay some hurt down once it's fully charged. I haven't played it in a week but I left off right after beating the first Anjanath in the story mode (so more or less I'm still in the beginning). From what I've played, I have enjoyed the heck out of it.
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    I'm using the sword/super axe combo (forget the name)

Charge Blade?
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    Tried my first capture quest tonight. I weakened a Great Jagras to the point where he was limping and he had the skull icon over him in the minimap. Dropped a shock trap and caught him. I dropped two tranq bombs right by his head and...nothing. He broke loose and ran off. Tried it two more times, same result. Finally on the third try, I caught him in the shock trap, didn't throw any tranq bombs, and the quest finished successfully. I have no idea why.

Are you supposed to target the tranq bombs somehow? I didn't see any way to do that...the only option seemed to be to drop them near his head and...hope for the best?

I don't get it. :/
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member edited February 16
    The only time I have had trouble after the initial attempts where I was too slow was with it is with elder dragons which can't be captured. Based on your result of capping him on the third try, I'm guessing you weren't getting the tranqs off fast enough. The third try result means that the tranquilizer had built up in his system and he was ready to go down as soon as he was immobilized. I did have that happen to me once as well.

Hit square to set the shock/pit trap and while your character is going through that action, d-pad to the tranq bombs. As soon as the monster is in the trap, move to the head area and square, square. I've probably trapped 50 monsters since the trapping tutorial quest and haven't had issues since. It was troublesome at first, but I got it worked out pretty quickly and the change in bonus rewards on the rewards screen makes it all worth it.

Just to be clear there is no targeting of the tranq bombs, just stand near the head. On the tall monsters like Anjanath and Rathian it's better to use a pit trap so their heads are closer to ground level.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member edited February 17
    Figured it out, and ran a bunch of capture missions tonight. Opened up the third area as well...Coral something or other.

I’m finding that the more complex the hunts get, the more interest I lose. It’s probably about run it’s course with me, tbh. Definitely a fun game that made me finally understand the formula, but I’m not sure how much more time I’ll spend with it.
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    I'm sorry it didn't click for Gratch, but I am still having a lot of fun with it. I haven't progressed the story in a little over a week, but I am fine with that. I am upgrading weapons and trying out different tactics and completing a few sidequests. I'm over 80 hours played now and only HR14 and I don't see any end to my enjoyment.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    While I burned out quicker than I liked, I did spend nearly 30 hours with it. That's like an eternity in Gratch gaming time. :)

It really is a great game, I just wasn't very good at it (as I am with most action games that require some level of precision). When that starts becoming a rather significant barrier to advancing in the game, I usually know that's time for me to call it quits.

I do absolutely feel like I got my money out of it and would heartily recommend it to anyone.
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    I finally killed Kushala Daora who had been my bane for almost two weeks. I only tried the fight three times with a long pause between fight two and three where I upgraded much of my armor and several weapons (obviously only one of them helped me win the fight, but they were a chain to help me get components for the next weapon - I need thunder for Kushala... I need Water to make it easier to get parts for Thunder, I need Fire to make it easier, etc). I have one more Elder Dragon left for this step of the story progression... and I need one piece to upgrade the weapon for that fight. It never ends!

While I was taking a break from Elder Dragons I learned about the Arena quests in the Gathering Hubs giving you special pieces for new armor and weapons, so I started playing around in there a little bit. I also need to finish up gathering the Palico gadgets and canteen ingredients. So many things to do in this game and I am still loving every minute of it despite how punishing those minutes may seem.