Time to get a new year of gaming underway. I didn't finish much in 2017
, but there were some unexpected gems in there. Looking forward to seeing what's on the horizon for 2018!
FINISHED IN 2018
- What Remains of Edith Finch (PC) - Jan 1 - A
. A fantastic, creative, and emotionally moving game. An prime example of what excellent storytellers can do in this medium. 2 hours
- Lineage 2 Revolution (iPad) - Jan 18 - A
. Max leveled my toon and finished the main story quest. After an initial bad first impression, I got completely hooked. Perfect for casual (sometimes afk) play. 60+ hours, so far.
- Skyrim (Switch) - March 23 - B+
. It only took me 4 tries, but I actually “finished” Skyrim! Beat the two main storylines (dragons and civil war). It’s showing it’s age, but is still an absolute blast. I didn’t play as much portable as I was expecting to, but absolutely got my $$ out of it. 42 hours.
- Elder Scrolls Online (PC) - June 3 - A
. Beat the main Morrowind questline, and all the quest hubs on Vvardenfell. Had a blast with it, and will likely keep playing for a couple months...or until I get bored again. 22 hours, so far. EDIT: Now finished the Summerset xpac as well. 94 hours.
- Elder Scrolls Online (PC)
- God of War (PS4)
- Battle Chasers Nightwar (Switch)
- Icey (Switch)
Played and Quit/Gave up on
- Everybody's Golf - Still play a round on occasion, but have mostly stopped the single player campaign.
- Witcher 3 (PS4) - Got 20 hours in before getting distracted by other stuff. I still really need to see the expansions one of these days.
- Civ VI (iPad and PC) - Love the early game, but don't really like the grind of the end-game. Have yet to actually finish a game, even though I've started probably 20 or so.
- Monster Hunter World (PS4) - I finally understand why the series is so popular. That said, I got bored and/or frustrated with it after around 30 hours. The more complex it got, the less interest I had.
- Zelda Breath of the Wild (Switch) - I'm apparently the only person in the world for whom this game isn't the greatest thing ever. Tried it twice, gotten bored around 10 hours in both times.
- Silence (PC) - Looked great, but the story was so boring and non-sensical that I couldn't be bothered to even make it through the short 5 hours.
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch) - A great game that seriously overstayed it's welcome. If they had wrapped it up around 60 hours, I would have given it an A+. As is, I got to the 85 hour mark, and still had at least another 30 to go. Threw in the towel at that point.
- Super Mario Odyssey (Switch) - Meh. Did little to change my mind about Mario games in general. 3 hours
- FF XV Pocket Edition (iPad) - A neat portable version that walks through just the main storyline of the game. Shame it was absolutely buggy as hell though. Got through Chapter 5 before just getting too frustrated.
- Battle Chef Brigade (Switch) - This looked like it would be something right up my alley. Unfortunately, it just didn't click at all. It's a decent match 3, but the mid-cooking combat really just throws off the rhythm.
- Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (PC) - Felt like a combination of FF Type 0 and Persona, without the charm of either. Just...boring. 3 hours.
- Burnout Paradise (PS4) - The racing was as fun as I remembered, but having to drive all over the map in order to find events certainly was not. If they had an option to quickly choose a race from a menu, I'd have been all over it. As is...pass. 3 hours.
- Ni No Kuni 2 (PS4) - This one simply got caught up in a huge slew of games at the same time, and I couldn't focus on it. It was charming enough, but not terribly interesting through the first 3 hours.
- World of Warcraft (PC) - Tried multiple characters, and even got one up to the mid-30's, which is a first for me. Ultimately wanted something that taxed the new gaming rig a bit more, so I switched over to ESO. Around 40 hours.
- FF XV Royal Edition (PC) - Absolutely loved playing through this one again...up until the end. The multiple boss battles they added were 10X harder than anything else in the game to that point. I cruised through every enemy up to then, and all of a sudden my entire party was getting 1-hit by these bosses. Completely ruined what had been a fantastic experience up to that point. 26 hours.