Games finished - 2018 edition

Gratch
Gratch
edited June 4 in Video Games
Time to get a new year of gaming underway. I didn't finish much in 2017, but there were some unexpected gems in there. Looking forward to seeing what's on the horizon for 2018!

FINISHED IN 2018
- What Remains of Edith Finch (PC) - Jan 1 - A. A fantastic, creative, and emotionally moving game. An prime example of what excellent storytellers can do in this medium. 2 hours
- Lineage 2 Revolution (iPad) - Jan 18 - A. Max leveled my toon and finished the main story quest. After an initial bad first impression, I got completely hooked. Perfect for casual (sometimes afk) play. 60+ hours, so far.
- Skyrim (Switch) - March 23 - B+. It only took me 4 tries, but I actually “finished” Skyrim! Beat the two main storylines (dragons and civil war). It’s showing it’s age, but is still an absolute blast. I didn’t play as much portable as I was expecting to, but absolutely got my $$ out of it. 42 hours.
- Elder Scrolls Online (PC) - June 3 - A. Beat the main Morrowind questline, and all the quest hubs on Vvardenfell. Had a blast with it, and will likely keep playing for a couple months...or until I get bored again. 22 hours, so far. EDIT: Now finished the Summerset xpac as well. 94 hours.

Currently Playing
- Elder Scrolls Online (PC)
- God of War (PS4)
- Battle Chasers Nightwar (Switch)
- Icey (Switch)

Played and Quit/Gave up on
- Everybody's Golf - Still play a round on occasion, but have mostly stopped the single player campaign.
- Witcher 3 (PS4) - Got 20 hours in before getting distracted by other stuff. I still really need to see the expansions one of these days.
- Civ VI (iPad and PC) - Love the early game, but don't really like the grind of the end-game. Have yet to actually finish a game, even though I've started probably 20 or so.
- Monster Hunter World (PS4) - I finally understand why the series is so popular. That said, I got bored and/or frustrated with it after around 30 hours. The more complex it got, the less interest I had.
- Zelda Breath of the Wild (Switch) - I'm apparently the only person in the world for whom this game isn't the greatest thing ever. Tried it twice, gotten bored around 10 hours in both times.
- Silence (PC) - Looked great, but the story was so boring and non-sensical that I couldn't be bothered to even make it through the short 5 hours.
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch) - A great game that seriously overstayed it's welcome. If they had wrapped it up around 60 hours, I would have given it an A+. As is, I got to the 85 hour mark, and still had at least another 30 to go. Threw in the towel at that point.
- Super Mario Odyssey (Switch) - Meh. Did little to change my mind about Mario games in general. 3 hours
- FF XV Pocket Edition (iPad) - A neat portable version that walks through just the main storyline of the game. Shame it was absolutely buggy as hell though. Got through Chapter 5 before just getting too frustrated.
- Battle Chef Brigade (Switch) - This looked like it would be something right up my alley. Unfortunately, it just didn't click at all. It's a decent match 3, but the mid-cooking combat really just throws off the rhythm.
- Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (PC) - Felt like a combination of FF Type 0 and Persona, without the charm of either. Just...boring. 3 hours.
- Burnout Paradise (PS4) - The racing was as fun as I remembered, but having to drive all over the map in order to find events certainly was not. If they had an option to quickly choose a race from a menu, I'd have been all over it. As is...pass. 3 hours.
- Ni No Kuni 2 (PS4) - This one simply got caught up in a huge slew of games at the same time, and I couldn't focus on it. It was charming enough, but not terribly interesting through the first 3 hours.
- World of Warcraft (PC) - Tried multiple characters, and even got one up to the mid-30's, which is a first for me. Ultimately wanted something that taxed the new gaming rig a bit more, so I switched over to ESO. Around 40 hours.
- FF XV Royal Edition (PC) - Absolutely loved playing through this one again...up until the end. The multiple boss battles they added were 10X harder than anything else in the game to that point. I cruised through every enemy up to then, and all of a sudden my entire party was getting 1-hit by these bosses. Completely ruined what had been a fantastic experience up to that point. 26 hours.

Comments

• biggercup
    biggercup
    GT Member edited June 19
    2009: Total 41 games (also known as unemployed year)
    2010: Total 11 games
    2011: Total 15 games
    2012: Total 16 games
    2013: Total 15 games
    2014: Total 19 games (short one game from my goal..)
    2015: Total 24 games !!!!
    2016: Total 7 games ? busy working almost non stop:( no time to play:(
    2017: 23 games last year!

Let's see if I can do 30 games this year!

1. 1/7: Dead Rising 2: Case Zero (XBOX 360)
    2. 1/14: Dead Rising 2 (PC)
    3. 1/18: Dead Rising 2: Case West (XBOX 360)
    4. 1/30: Dead Rising 2: Off the Record (PC)
    5. 2/2: Injustice 2 (PS4)
    6. 2/7: Trine 2 (PC)
    7. 2/10: Trine 3 (PC)
    8. 2/13: Halo Wars 2: Operation Spearbreaker DLC (PC)
    9. 2/28: Y'S I (PC) .. Only took me 20 years to play and beat it :)
    10. 4/8: Infamous 2 (PS3)
    11. 4/9: Infamous 2: Festival of Blood (PS3)
    12. 5/3: Portal 2 (PC)
    13. 5/21: Y'S II (PC): Finally ~ !
    14. 5/28: Y's origin (PC)
    15. Destiny 2 (PC) Single player story
    16. Destiny 2 Expansion I: Curse of Osiris (PC) Story mode
  • whiteboyskim
    whiteboyskim
    GT Member edited April 27
    Less than 10 games last year, and not sure how many I'll manage to cull out this year. But my goal for 2018 is to actually not buy anything more until my Steam queue is whittled down. So here's my list for the year:

Dead Rising 3 (PC)
    Grim Dawn (PC)
    Dying Light (PC)
    Detective Hank and the Golden Sneeze (PC)
    The Witcher III: The Wild Hunt + DLC (PC)
    The Talos Principle (PC)
  • Jumangi
    Jumangi
    GT Member edited June 5
    CoD: WWII
    Forza 7(Drivers champ cup)
    Ratchet & Clank
    Battlefront II
    GTA V
    Sniper Elite 4
    Wolfenstein II
    Dishonored: Death Outsider

#Finished previous years

2017: 12
    2016: 13
    2015: 15
    2014: 16
    2013: 17
    2012: 13
    2011: 15
    2010: 13
    2009: 14
    2008: 10
    2007: 11
  • Andrew Wonser
    Andrew Wonser
    GT Member edited June 22
    Infamous Second Son - 2/18 Evil Play-through 3/2 (Buy)
    Uncharted 4 A Thief's End - 4/6 (Buy)
    Star Wars Battlefront II - 5/19 (Try)
    Robinson The Journey - 5/31 (Try..Buy)
    Batman Arkham VR - 6/7 (Buy)
    Wasteland 2 - 6/20 (Try)
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    I actually finished a game! I am trying to get through my backlog and so I put in H:ZD after a few months off and I was actually quite close to the end. Last night I finished it up!!!

Sadly I felt as I often do about finishing games....I liked playing more than finishing. They threw in a very tough boss fight at the end which felt weirdly out of place in a game where you have been able to use all sorts of strategies to whittle away at an opponent. They even did the cliche "timer" where you have to beat it in a certain time, and the cliche of you have to beat it in a certain way (I died many times before I figured you have to target the legs when the heater thingies come out)

So again I was left feeling more annoyed than proud or happy. I guess that is why I often don't finish games. The convoluted "final challenges" developers come up with I often don't find fun.

Still it is something I can scratch off my list!
  • skystride
    skystride
    GT Member
    I just finished Divinity Original Sin! It is the first game I have finished in over a year. I had a couple of starts and stops playing this game since when it came out. I just wasn't getting into it. And then 16 months ago, my daughter was born and I started playing it again since it's an easy game to F5/Alt-F4. My gaming time pretty much dropped 99%. Slowly but surely I have been making progress. 120+ hours later I just finished it a couple of days ago.

The next day I started Divinity Original Sin 2. I wouldn't be surprised if I am posting here again in another year :)

So I was a big fan of Divine Divinity. Didn't really like Beyond Divinity. Original Sin had me hooked for completely different reasons though. I was not too interested in the story. It was leveling up, configuring my class and party and all the strategic combat that did it for me. Hopefully Part 2 will be more of that.