Weekend Playlist - Christmas 2017 edition

Gratch
Gratch
Merry Christmahaunakwanzika everyone!

Still haven't found something that's really grabbing me, but at least I have a ton of options. Picked up Song of the Deep, Vanquish, Age of Mythology, and What Remains of Edith Finch from the Steam sale. Grabbed Madden 18 and Aeero (a fun rhythm/shooter game) on PS4. Or I might stick with KOTOR 2, or fire up Tyranny (heard they patched out some of the CTD bugs), or start something else entirely. Again...options. :)

What do you have on tap for the (hopefully) long weekend?

Comments

• coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    I bought The Surge on PC (finished it on console previously) with the expansion, and was gifted Jagged Alliance 2, Rise of the Tomb Raider and Slayaway Camp.... and the new map for PUBG was released. Between all of that I expect to be pretty busy this weekend (I've already been off for a week, only 10 more consecutive days of gaming left!).
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    I’m honestly a little shocked at how much I’m enjoying Madden 18’s “Longshot” story mode. It’s fantastic, and worth the price of admission all by itself.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    So far I've played a little bit of Heat Signature. I like it, though I do wish I could play sitting back with a controller.

I also fired up Wreckfest to check out all the changes in the big new patch. Definitely seems improved and the driving seems to be hitting that elusive sweet spot where just the right amount of brake or feathered gas can keep you sliding around the corners.

I also want to at least try Rapture - World Conquest and maybe Yorkshire Gubbins if I can. Oh, and I also have Wolfenstein II, because I'm a monster. :astonished:
  • Andrew Mallon
    Andrew Mallon
    GT Member
    I'll be playing Assassin's Creed: Origins. Love the visuals and atmosphere of the game, but I can see the sameness of the quests getting old fast. Hope there is some variety. My 5-year-old son is getting Lego City Undercover and Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 for Christmas, so I'm sure I'll be playing/watching those at some point this weekend.

Santa is bringing a Playstation VR on Monday (the Gran Turismo bundle), so I'm looking for to playing that and Star Trek: Bridge Crew with the family. I think the thing I'm looking forward to the most is getting my wife to try it. Not a gamer, but I can tell she's somewhat intrigued by VR.

Also have a weird hankering to play Infinite Space on the DS for some reason.
  • MonkeyFinger
    MonkeyFinger
    GT Member
    Mostly The Evil Within 2 for me.
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    I played a bunch of Slayaway Camp and PUBG over the weekend. Slayaway Camp is a lot like Hitman Go with some pretty challenging puzzles to solve.
  • Isgrimnur
    Isgrimnur
    GT Member
    Almost finished with Assassin's Creed. The first one.
  • Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    I played almost nothing.
  • Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    Putting in a lot of time in Assassin’s Creed Origins. Admittedly, there is a lot of sameness in the countless side quests but the graphics are beautiful and the Egyptian and Greek architectural design is really well done. I’m roughly 20 hours into the game and I still have well over 50% of the map to uncover. This one is going to take a while.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    FIFA 18 is fun, but I'm still not entirely sure how to actually just play through a league season. I don't want to create a player, I don't want to manage a team, I don't want to deal with transfers, I don't want to manage a team budget...I just want to play through a season with Liverpool. If that option is buried in there somewhere, I sure as hell can't find it.

NHL 18 just seems...off. I think it's mostly because the commentary always sounds overly stilted and just really awkward. It's bad to the point of distraction, but the game feels even stranger if it is shut off completely. The player movement feels squishy, shots always felt underpowered, and the overall game just felt really strange. I ended up not liking it at all.

Finished the "Longshot" mode in Madden 18, and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, I'm in that really weird in-between spot in terms of skill level. If I play at the Beginner level, I win every game 49-0. If I bump it up one notch, I lose every game 14-0. It's frustrating.

I played through the first 4 hours of Tyranny again. There's just something about the PoE system that I simply don't understand. I have it set at the lowest difficulty, I'm liberally using spells, buffs, and talents, I've upgraded all my characters with some recommended builds, I've got the best equipment I can find. Yet every encounter still sees me with one or two dead characters, or barely squeaking by with a sliver of health. I've watched some "beginners guides", read up on the combat system, and seem to be doing everything right, but still constantly get my ass kicked. This happened in PoE as well. I wish I knew what it was.

I settled on starting over with Witcher 3. Last time I played, I got the complete garbage ending (a good article about how awful it is here). It left me with a very sour taste in my mouth about the game overall. I've been intrigued by the expansions, but haven't been able to bite the bullet, until now. Figured I'd start fresh and hopefully do a better job this time.
  • Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    Putting in a lot of time in Assassin’s Creed Origins. Admittedly, there is a lot of sameness in the countless side quests but the graphics are beautiful and the Egyptian and Greek architectural design is really well done. I’m roughly 20 hours into the game and I still have well over 50% of the map to uncover. This one is going to take a while.

I started it when I was tired, and it seemed less approachable. I'll be playing in a bit. Glad to hear the visuals are good - with a 4K HDR set I'm looking forward to that aspect.