Video card issues

dkass
dkass
I have an alienware laptop and have recently run into some strange issues when I try to run a game. I receive this message: "Failed to initialize Direct3D. Make sure you have at least DirectX 9.0c installed, have drivers for your graphics card and have not disabled 3D acceleration in display settings. InitializeEngineGraphics failed. When I run dxdaig everything looks fine. I was able to resolve the issue by uninstalling and reinstalling the device GTX Geforce 860M. It happened again about a week later, but this time I cannot resolve by reinstalling the drivers.

I should also say that I did nothing to my laptop previously. One day the games ran fine, the next day this message.

Any suggestions are appreciated. TIA.

Comments

• EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    I'm assuming your laptop probably also has an onboard Intel video chipset? Most laptops with a Geforce M chip also have that as their main/default card.

I'm not sure exactly how the Alienware works, but on my older Dell there is a little physical switch where I can force it to choose the Geforce card when running 3D games (at the cost of battery life, of course).

If yours doesn't have that, or even if it does but you're still seeing issues, certain games or applications may still be trying to use the default Intel video chipset.

I guess the first thing I would try is to try to update both the motherboard drivers (including BIOS) and then the Nvidia video drivers after that.

If that doesn't fix the issue, you can also go into the Nvidia Control Panel and choose to force using that card/chip with the specific games you're running into problems with (or for everything, which will use more battery)
    If you want to only add specific applications:
    1. Open your Nvidia control panel
    2. Select Manage 3D settings
    3. Program Settings tab
    4. Add the program/executable you want to the list
    5. Reboot your computer

If you want to force using the Geforce chip for everything (at the cost of battery, once again):
    1. Open your Nvidia control panel
    2. Select Manage 3D settings
    3. Global Settings tab
    4. switch the drop down from Auto to nvidia
    5. Reboot your computer
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member edited December 2017
    No guarantees any of that works, of course, haha. Just making my best guesses at things I've had to do before. And at the very least it won't harm you to update drivers.
  • dkass
    dkass
    GT Member
    Wow--that was a great diagnosis. I could not see a switch on the laptop, but I could disable the intel chipset and my games launch. However, they consume too much of the system so they barely run. I am going to try to force the applications to use Nvidia and let you know.

By the way, how do I update my BIOS?
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member edited December 2017
    Exactly where to go to get motherboard drivers and update your BIOS and other drivers will vary based on the model, but a good place to start is probably here to see this video:

https://community.dell.com/videos/1024-alienware-bios-update

Or just go directly to the Dell update site and it can detect your PC (Dell owns Alienware now and has for the last...6? years)

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/products/?app=drivers

That should get you pointed in the right direction as long as it detects your laptop or you know your laptop's model number (should be easy to find if not).