[Movie] Ready Player One

Bullwinkle
Bullwinkle
edited December 2017 in Off-Topic
I thought we had a thread for this, but I could only find the book one.

Anyway, the new trailer is out.

The teaser left me a little cold, as it seemed all flash with no substance, but this one gives a lot more. It made me much more optimistic.

Comments

• farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    That looks perfectly fine. It was a popcorn book (fun fluffy and easy) and the movie looks that way as well.
  • Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    If you guys love 80's retro callbacks, give The Impossible Fortress by Jason Reklulak a try. I read it this summer, and it seemed to me a pretty sweet tribute to the 80's. Set in the 80's, it's about a group of teens going through hijinks. One of them loves his Commodore 64 and has a love of programming. He's built a game, but has problems getting it to work correctly, befriends a girl and they work together to make a game that they enter into a competition.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30753698-the-impossible-fortress?ac=1&from_search=true
  • uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager
    Apparently, Cline announced a book sequel yesterday as well

Mike Dunn
    Executive Producer & Editor-at-Large
    GAMING TREND

• Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    Rumpy wrote: »
    If you guys love 80's retro callbacks, give The Impossible Fortress by Jason Reklulak a try. I read it this summer, and it seemed to me a pretty sweet tribute to the 80's. Set in the 80's, it's about a group of teens going through hijinks. One of them loves his Commodore 64 and has a love of programming. He's built a game, but has problems getting it to work correctly, befriends a girl and they work together to make a game that they enter into a competition.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30753698-the-impossible-fortress?ac=1&from_search=true

Added to my wishlist. Thanks, Rumpy.

• Isgrimnur
    Isgrimnur
    GT Member
    uxFOOL wrote: »
    Apparently, Cline announced a book sequel yesterday as well

Dumptrucks full of money have a way of stimulating the mind. Until you get to GRRM levels, of course.
  • Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    Bullwinkle wrote: »
    Added to my wishlist. Thanks, Rumpy.

No problem :) I thought it was a pretty fun book that really captured the essence of the 80's, but at the same time, never going too overboard with references. Gave me vibes of The Goonies crossed with The Explorers and a bit of Halt & Catch Fire. Felt very fresh. I'd love to see a sequel with the same gang. The game they created in the novel was actually turned into a real game by the author.

• Knightshade_Dragon
    Knightshade_Dragon
    GT Manager
    I just finished the book myself, and I'm interested to see how they'll bring it to life. There's a LOT in the trailer that never occurred in the books, so I'm thinking there will be some "liberties" with this one. Still, it's Spielberg...if somebody can do it, he can. I mean, it could be Paul WS Anderson for crying out loud....

Ron Burke
    Editor in Chief
    GAMING TREND

Xbox Gamertag: Gaming Trend
    PS4 Tag: GamingTrend

• Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    I'm rather cautious with Spielberg these days. I don't think he really carries the same pedigree as he used to. I'm one of the few that really liked A.I, but absolutely hated his take on War of the Worlds with the annoying Dakota Fanning screaming at the top of her lungs. Well, to be fair, it wasn't just because of her, but because of the liberties taken to the point that I felt it was missing the point of the original story. I'm a big fan of the original story and I even have a bad B-movie version of it set in the 1800's, the only movie version to do so. And I get why Spielberg did what he did for American audiences, but it robbed the movie of its impact for me. That was my turning point with him.

My dream version of a movie would be to set it during the American Civil War, which is analogue-ish to the original era, as similar technology level is used. Would be far more poignant and would be a much better compromise than what Spielberg decided to do by setting it in present-day. The whole fun in the story was, and one could say the whole point, in seeing just how out of their depths the population was in dealing with the invasion, how ineffective their tactics and weaponry were (its impact lessened by moving to more modern weaponry), only to have the Martians die off by themselves.