[Movie] Thor: Ragnarok

farley2k
farley2k
edited October 2017 in Off-Topic
Seems like it is time for a thread of its own. It is out in two weeks and it has been getting a lot of praise. I am very psyched to see it.

"Technically more brains!"

Comments

• Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    Not watching trailers. Have my seats already ;)
  • Isgrimnur
    Isgrimnur
    GT Member
    Purge wrote: »
    Not watching trailers.

Me, either. I've seen the first two, and I'm good. No point spoiling stuff two weeks out.
  • Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    LOVED it ... Hella good movie.

All the good of Thor, the humour was on point, and there was change and growth.

The trailer doesn't really spoil much, though if you haven't watched it and are going to see it, then don't see it. Immigrant's Song is so much more impactful, as is a certain other character... :)

On Thor's appearance in Dr. Strange
    That moment isn't an aside like a lot of clips, it exists really early on in this movie.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator edited November 2017
    * Now that I have watched it....it is really funny. Worth the 11 minutes of the skit.

The Only Way to Truly Experience Thor: Ragnarok Is With the Cast Acting It Out Live

kv6pl3yvkdkqoyavd99g.gif

• Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    Saw it last night and loved it, of course. My daughter went with me, and she has no school tomorrow. She's hoping to watch all of the Marvel movies again (which is unlikely to happen...I mean, come on, all of them??).
    I wish Hulk had been left a surprise. I can see that it would be hard to keep a lid on, but there was a lot of build-up to his appearance, and you were clearly not supposed to know, so when he popped out, it spoiled it just a little bit. Everything was so well done, that it didn't matter in the long run, but it was just a nice surprise lost.

Cate Blanchett was spectacularly good. I mean, we expect her to be good, of course, but she just amazes at every turn. And I thought Karl Urban did a fantastic job, going through the whole wonderfully realized arc of his character. And you can dress Jeff Goldblum up in whatever shiny apparatus you want, and he's still going to bring Jeff Goldblum to his performance, and that's a great thing.

I went in expecting the funny, because I'd heard as much, but while the movie is funny as hell, it is so much more than a comedy. I'd read about it being non-stop and relentless and the funniest Marvel movie, so I was a little worried that it would be a shallow rollercoaster that might be forgotten shortly after viewing, and that is not the case at all.

By the way, if you came away impressed by the natural comedy of Thor: Ragnarok, I insist that you track down the director's earlier movie, What We Do in the Shadows (currently free with Amazon Prime, BTW). It is to vampires what Spinal Tap is to rock bands. That may seem like an exaggeration, but WWDitS is easily as good as Spinal Tap. I cannot recommend it enough.
  • Isgrimnur
    Isgrimnur
    GT Member
    Bullwinkle wrote: »
    What We Do in the Shadows

Sequel

Wife and I saw it last night. The comedy took away from the gravitas that the Hela scenes should have had, but it was an enjoyable film. Wife and I both liked it a lot. It's no cinematic classic, but it gives its money's worth.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    I enjoyed it quite a bit, definitely agree with what Bull said about leaving some things a surprise. I like that they played with the tone of the movie to make it funnier even though the overall plotline was pretty dead serious, no pun intended. Really looking forward to Infinity War.

A few minor complaints:
    WTF you killed my Zachary Levi without even a hint of acknowledgment???
    Ditto to the other member of the Warriors Three. That was needlessly harsh and they deserved at least to be mentioned.

I thought they had announced Lady Sif was supposed to be a big part of this movie,
    but i guess they had to write her out since she was too busy with Blindspot.

Also missed Natalie Portman, even though I knew she wasn't going to be in it. At least they acknowledged her character existed, but it was kind of a bummer in terms of this being a Thor sequel.

Blotting out one of Chris Hemsworth's beautiful blue eyes should be considered a crime.

Not enough shirtless Chris. Although the few seconds we saw my head nearly exploded.

It's interesting because it's almost like they wanted to pull an Aliens 3 and erase a lot of the elements of the previous films so they could stand alone better. They could easily have gone with a completely darker tone given the overall storyline. Looks like a pretty smart gamble paid off.
  • Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    The burned out eye was bad makeup job. They could have made that better.

Also, I'd like to see Grandmaster meet up with his brother. Del Toro and Goldblum? :D
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    Isgrimnur wrote: »
    Bullwinkle wrote: »
    What We Do in the Shadows

Sequel

=)

I had read that an American TV series was in the works (boo, even though Taika Waititi is working on it), but I had no idea about the sequel. Hooray!

• Purge
    Purge
    GT Member edited November 2017
    BROUGHT OVER FROM THE GENERAL THREAD:

Blackjack wrote: »
    I had a great time with Thor: Ragnarok last night. I guess I feared it would be "too much' like Guardians of the Galaxy. But I felt like T:R has its own wonky, sometimes Monty Python-like sense of humor and deadpans and poking fun at stuff from prior Marvel films, while still being reverent to a point about Asgard and Midgard and what not.

Its a thousand times more entertaining than the first two Thor films imho. I don't know if they succeeded in turning Thor into a 3-dimensional character, but I felt like it finally transitioned him into a charming, funny, sometimes lunkheaded but still warm-hearted character. For a change the movie Thor seemed closer to Hemsworth's real personality instead of "Thor the wooden dialogue over serious guy" :)

Some of the deadpan reminds me of Thor's best line in Avengers, "He was adopted." That was a good one but he gets lots of great one-liners in this that suit the character.

While Cate Blanchette's fine I keep wanting to see a villain with an interesting or tragic backstory. Certainly Cap 3's ostensible "villain" was in that category. Hela is just revenge revenge.

I'm sure some critics will carp that the movie's trying to be both funny and reverent to Thor at the same time, and it's too disjointed or silly. Or that it's trying too hard to be funny. I just know my audience had a great time, and some scenes had people in stitches, and for me the humor fit the characters. It's a good time. Don't try to overanalyze the nonsense in it, is my advice. B)

Purge wrote: »
    I loved the film. There was character development, change and yet staying true to the best performances of each of the main characters (and introducing new players at the same time).

Cate did an amazing job, and it supported well Karl Urbans' struggle.

• Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    @Bullwinkle better? ;)
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    Yes. It's just weird to me is all.
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member
    I had a blast, and I think it finally succeeded in making Thor as appealing and funny as Chris Hemsworth appears to be in real life. :) The sense of humor is at times Monty Python like, and may not appeal to all tastes but I certainly gut-busted often.

I may see it again this weekend. Though I still think for me only Wonder Woman (12) and lesser extent Spider-Man Homecoming (3 times) this year really appealed to me in a way that I wanted to keep running back and seeing it. I saw Guardians Vol. 2 twice.