Xbox One gets OG Xbox backwards compat

EngineNo9
EngineNo9
edited October 2017 in Video Games
As Purge said in the weekly buying thread, some select games from the original Xbox are coming to Xbox One backwards compatibility this week. And according to MS all the games run in 1080p with higher and/or smoother framerates.
The official list of Original Xbox titles has been released and will be available Oct 24:
  • BLACK
  • BloodRayne 2
  • Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
  • Dead to Rights
  • Fuzion Frenzy
  • Grabbed by the Ghoulies
  • King of Fighters Neowave
  • Ninja Gaiden Black
  • Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
  • Psychonauts
  • Red Faction II
  • Sid Meier’s Pirates!
  • Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

That's a pretty great list of games, even though there are plenty of classics missing. They say another wave should be coming in spring 2018, so hopefully more favorites hit then.

Other than MechAssault that Purge mentioned, the other ones I can think that I'd love to see (because I still have their boxes on my shelf for 360 back compat) are:
  • Burnout 2
  • Burnout 3
  • Test Drive: Eve of Destruction (still the best derby career game)
  • Hulk Ultimate Destruction
  • Godzilla Save the Earth
  • Godzilla Destroy All Monsters Melee

Comments

• EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member edited October 2017
    Oh, and IGN has a very cool in-depth article on the history of this XB1 backwards compatibility development. It also includes some comparison videos between the original games and the newly enhanced ones.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/10/23/the-untold-story-of-xbox-one-backwards-compatibility
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    I'm excited to try a few of these out! Hopefully the pricing won't be stupid.
  • Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    Wow, this might actually get me to buy an XBox One X now. I still have all my original XBox games in a box in a closet somewhere.
  • Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    10-15bux (USD, likely), according to the MS article.
    Once original Xbox backward compatibility hits Xbox One, each of the supported games can be accessed by inserting the original game disc into the console. Alternatively, a subset of the library will also be available via the Microsoft Store, priced between $9.99 and $14.99.
  • Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    I'd love to see Jade Empire make that list.

I think Panzer Dragoon Orta and GunValkrie would be excellent additions along with Shenmue and Shenmue II, though I was a fan of neither (personally). It does round out the collection. Project Gotham Racing is also a great selection, and I wholeheartedly agree with the Burnout 3: Takedown though I don't know how it holds up.

Same thing with Morrowind - games that haven't warranted remasters but are fantastic representations.

It'd be nice if they opened up a uservoice section so we can drive the demand.
    360's BC voting thread: https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/298503-backward-compatibility
  • shon
    shon
    GT Member
    Hoping for Links 2004 still one of the best golfing games.
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    About the only thing I'd want to see come back: Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Everything else has been done better.
  • Harkonis
    Harkonis
    GT Member
    Who did Crimson Skies better?
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Harkonis wrote: »
    Who did Crimson Skies better?

anigif_enhanced-4750-1393302538-13.gif
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    I bought Crimson Skies, and I just wanted to test it out and wound up playing for an hour!

As smooth and awesome as I remember. And seeing the old school Xbox opening gave me warm memory goosebumps, not to mention the Microsoft Studious swooping black and white beads.

Really, the only problem is that it's locked to 4:3. I got over that pretty quickly.

And I haven't even tried multiplayer yet.
  • Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    How do the graphics look? What once looked cutting edge may not look so hot now, especially with upscaled resolution and clarity that may magnify the flaws.
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    I was expecting worse. The cutscenes are well-animated, but they have that grainy look and aren't as detailed as what you see in game, so my hopes weren't up. But it actually looks really good in action. The biggest issue, graphically (apart from the 4:3 image I mentioned earlier) is the sparseness of the architecture and mountains. I haven't reached the city yet, but the big rocks of the first level are a little blocky (though not as bad as you might imagine) and they are kind of plopped into an ocean. In action, I wasn't really noticing it once things got going.

One other oddity is the lack of a lock-on button. I guess I've gotten lazy in my arcade flying, but I keep expecting to be able to target enemies with a trigger or button, but it just isn't a thing. It's not a problem, though, just something to relearn.
  • Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    Bullwinkle wrote: »
    And I haven't even tried multiplayer yet.

Multiplayer isn't in this version - I believe it lost it while Live was being upgraded back in the 360 days.

per the Xbox Store (emphasis mine)
    An Xbox 360 hard drive is required to use this item GAME-PLAY ALERT: The online multiplayer, leaderboards and voice features of this game are no longer supported. This game has been fully tested to successfully play on your Xbox 360 console. However, in some cases, you may see some minor irregularities with audio/video for brief periods. For more details, see www.xbox.com/xboxoriginals. Crimson Skies®: High Road to Revenge™ combines thrilling aerial combat with the swashbuckling style of a Hollywood action-adventure movie. Set in an alternate 1930s world of gunship diplomacy and sinister intrigue, Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge lets you pilot powerful aircraft against nefarious air pirates and behemoth war zeppelins. There are no refunds for this item. For more information, see www.xbox.com/live/accounts.

• Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    Even knowing that, I still bought it.
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    Oh, well. Honestly, I was getting it more for the story anyway.

However, this was one of the first games where I started dipping my toe into mutiplayer. I really enjoyed it at the time.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Yeah, that's too bad that they couldn't get these games working on the current Live infrastructure. Especially since you can system-link an OG Xbox, 360 and XB1 to play them all together with these games.
  • Purge
    Purge
    I hope CSHRTR inspires them to:

A ) Remaster it (full HDR/4K etc)
    B ) Create a sequel.

B)
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Purge wrote: »

B ) Create a sequel.

B)

That would be nice. As far as I know Microsoft still owns the rights to that IP, so hopefully if enough people are buying and playing it so that sends the right signals to the right people. With Phil Spencer at the helm, it could happen.
  • Dante Rising
    Dante Rising
    GT Member
    I would love to see Deathrow get added to this list. (The title is a play on words for Death-throw) This was a hidden gem, combat arena sports game that I absolutely adored. Archaic by modern standards, but I couldn’t stop playing the game. Oh, and add the precursor to SLAI. It was a mech arena game, the title of which slips my mind.
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    EngineNo9 wrote: »
    Purge wrote: »

B ) Create a sequel.

B)

That would be nice. As far as I know Microsoft still owns the rights to that IP, so hopefully if enough people are buying and playing it so that sends the right signals to the right people. With Phil Spencer at the helm, it could happen.

I had the same wish when I loaded it up.

I feel like there may be a rights issue with FASA somewhere (or whoever owns the CS miniatures rights).

EDIT: It's WizKKids.

MS does own the intellectual property rights, though, so fingers crossed.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member edited April 11
    Another big update with several new original Xbox titles coming to XB1:

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/04/10/backward-compatibility-april-update/
    Original Xbox games releasing on April 17:
    • Blinx: The Time Sweeper
    • Breakdown
    • Conker: Live & Reloaded
    • The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
    • Hunter: The Reckoning
    • Jade Empire
    • Panzer Dragoon Orta
    • SSX 3

Original Xbox games releasing on April 26:
    • Destroy All Humans!
    • Full Spectrum Warrior
    • Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction
    • MX Unleashed
    • Panzer Elite Action: Fields of Glory
    • Star Wars Battlefront
    • Star Wars Battlefront II
    • Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
    • Star Wars Jedi Starfighter
    • Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
    • Star Wars Republic Commando

To me the big winner here is Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction :smiley:
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Interview: 19 New Original Xbox Games on Backward Compatibility in April