EA closes Visceral Studios, reboots Star Wars game

EngineNo9
https://www.ea.com/news/an-update-on-the-visceral-star-wars-project
Our Visceral studio has been developing an action-adventure title set in the Star Wars universe. In its current form, it was shaping up to be a story-based, linear adventure game. Throughout the development process, we have been testing the game concept with players, listening to the feedback about what and how they want to play, and closely tracking fundamental shifts in the marketplace. It has become clear that to deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come, we needed to pivot the design.

ie: Needed more loot box potential.

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Jumangi
    GT Member
    Yea this sounds like MMO-ish open world type with lots of DLC, Lootboxes etc incoming...

Yay for "games as a service"
  • EngineNo9
    GT Member
    I was just trying to think of all the studios that EA has closed over the years:
    • Bullfrog
    • Westwood
    • Origin
    • Burst Studios (EA Pacific)
    • EA Baltimore
    • EA Seattle
    • Kesmai
    • Black Box Games (EA Black Box)
    • NuFX (EA Chicago)
    • PlayFish
    • Maxis
    • Mythic
    • EA Mobile Brazil
    • Phenomic
    • EA Brightlight (EA UK)
    • Pandemic
    • DICE Canada
    • Waystone Games
    • EA North Carolina
    • Danger Close (EA Los Angeles)
    • Headgate Studios (EA Salt Lake)
    • Popcap Dublin and Vancouver
    • BioWare Montreal
    • Visceral

Almost easier to think of the studios that they bought or established and haven't closed yet...
  • Turtle
    GT Member
    So I don't know the exact name that was mentioned, but I read a part that specifically said this this decision was basically pushed forward by an EA executive, who would then go on to build his own team to make his own Star Wars game.

This basically confirms everything I've heard about what went wrong with EA and its handling of Mass Effect Andromeda. Execs and bro culture.

Here we have some random exec canning one project just so he can make his own fancy thing with his name on it.
  • Rumpy
    GT Member
    Disney should give the Star Wars license to another dev, one with passion that would feel honoured to take the franchise. They're not exactly swimming in games of their IP's as of late, including Indiana Jones (the last one being a browser game in 2011).
  • EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Rumpy wrote: »
    Disney should give the Star Wars license to another dev, one with passion that would feel honoured to take the franchise. They're not exactly swimming in games of their IP's as of late, including Indiana Jones (the last one being a browser game in 2011).

Knowing EA, I"m sure they locked up that IP for a huge number of years. :angry:
  • Rumpy
    GT Member
    Probably through contractual obligations or some sort, though maybe they'd be able to get out of it by saying conditions have changed. In fact, if I were Disney, I'd be concerned that it's taken so long to get something new out. I think this particular game had been in production before Disney acquired LucasFilm and the SW IP, if we're to believe anything on the internet. Disney could say EA hasn't met their obligations, therefore the license is being taken away, and this kind of thing has happened in the past. But then again, what worries me is that Disney has been very lax in areas of gaming in general. To have nothing much out there other than Disney Infinity (which is no longer being worked on), and the Battlefront reboot, there isn't much that they own that is on current-gen console hardware, and that to me is baffling. Where are the big IPs??

I think it was a mistake to close LucasArts. Ok, mind you, by the end of it, they were limping along creatively, but I half expected Disney to recognize the value in having LucasArts out there for branding purposes. In my eyes, they could have kept it alive and funnel all their gaming IPs through the LucasArts brand, and I'd have been OK with it if they were simply a publishing label. Missed opportunity.
  • Purge
    GT Member
    So was Disney Infinity. They can't keep any level of consistency for game quality.
  • Rumpy
    GT Member
    Yeah, I'm sure. Then again, I think that genre of game was showing signs of it being on the way out. But Disney seems to be completely aloof on gaming. They don't seem to be showing much concern, and that kind of concerns me.
  • EngineNo9
    GT Member
    I always thought that Infinity was such a failure of design anyway since they didn't allow cross-pollination of characters from different worlds. That kills half the fun and appeal of those games when you can't use the characters you already have in new content, and can't see the fun/crazy crossovers.
  • uxFOOL
    GT Manager
    EngineNo9 wrote: »
    I always thought that Infinity was such a failure of design anyway since they didn't allow cross-pollination of characters from different worlds. That kills half the fun and appeal of those games when you can't use the characters you already have in new content, and can't see the fun/crazy crossovers.

Also: They launched with a heavy Lone Ranger presence

Mike Dunn
    Executive Producer & Editor-at-Large
    GAMING TREND

• EngineNo9
    GT Member
    [quote="uxFOOL;945939"Also: They launched with a heavy Lone Ranger presence[/quote]

Well, to be fair the game launched the same year as the movie. There was also only one Lone Ranger set, the smallest of their launch packs.

With the development time on the game and the design and production lead time needed for physical toys, there's no way they could have really NOT launched with those without just shoving everything into a landfill.
  • Purge
    GT Member
    There is exactly zero reason why they couldn't launch a new Infinity title, giving value back to the toys, with better load times and some purpose to the characters.

Hell, they could use them like Amiibo's for Kingdom Hearts 3, etc.
  • Rumpy
    GT Member
    That'd certainly be a step in the right direction. I was never into Disney Infinity, but maybe that would get them wet again and lead them to more interest in doing more with their IPs in gaming. But they probably won't because Disney has their head in the sand.
  • EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Yeah, plus corporate overlords never want to take charge of something that was a failure for the previous management.