Fall TV Season 2017

rittchard
rittchard
Let's use this for a "catch all" similar to the Movie Chat thread. Anything got you excited? I didn't even realize where the transition between summer and fall happened, as some of my summer shows haven't ended yet. But given that The Voice, Scorpion and some new shows already started, I have no choice but to get my Fall TV Cap on. Tonight "This is Us" returns, and I'm gonna give that Menendez Brothers show a chance.

There aren't a lot of new shows I'm hyped for, except for The Gifted (young mutants with Vampire Bill and Fred/Illyria) which has been getting a lot of good buzz. Not that I wouldn't watch a show about mutants with Polaris and Jamie Chung as Blink even if it had horrible buzz. I'm gonna check out The Good Doctor and maybe the new Navy Seal with Angel show too, can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

Anything catch your eye this season?

Comments

• Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    Isn't there a new show with David Tennant? I'm up for that.
  • Isgrimnur
    Isgrimnur
    GT Member
    He's in the Good Omens miniseries due out next year.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Forgot Will and Grace returns tonight, it's been getting good buzz overall. I was never a huge fan of the show, but I have very few sitcoms on my list these days, so it will be a nice change.

Also Marvel's Inhumans debuts tomorrow I believe, but it's been getting bad reviews all around.
  • naednek
    naednek
    GT Moderator
    Our Fall TV Schedule :) Some are the wife's...

m1a633qc6y2d.png
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    The Gifted debut was really good. I had pretty high expectations, and I'm happy to say they were met or exceeded. Interestingly, the basis of the show - young mutants being hunted while learning to cope with their new abilities - is not too different from Legion, yet the two shows take wildly different approaches. This one is much more grounded and accessible, and gives fans a few familiar characters such as Blink and Polaris. And "X-men" are mentioned a couple of times so you know what universe you are in. Good action sequences all around, but thus far not too much character development as they tried to introduce so many characters in the first hour.

What's frustrating for me is to think of what might/could have been. If these greedy idiots really wanted to service the fans, imagine if this show existed alongside AoS in the same universe. The opportunity for crossovers and guest appearances would be insane. Instead, both universes are somewhat gimped. I guess I can still hold out for an X-Men (reunite Anna Paquin/Rogue with Stephen Moyer!) or Deadpool guest appearance, or even.... Legion? Same thing goes for Inhumans, who are typically associated with the Fantastic Four. The division is just an annoyance. Anyway, I'm curious to see how they will fit this in with their X-films, particularly the New Mutants. Or if they'll choose to just ignore all of them indefinitely.

The other frustration is having two familiar actors play "normal" humans, particularly Amy Acker. Even at her most mild form as Fred, she was still super smart and a great hacker. Now she's... a mom. I understand she might want to play something different, but genre fans like their actors to continue kicking ass.

• rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member edited October 26
    I'm not really watching a lot of new shows this year, but of the ones I've sampled, The Gifted is probably my favorite. It's also the most frustrating, but that's another story.

I don't know what the developers have in mind conceptually, as they've kind of started the show in a really difficult direction. They've got a good set of mutants to play with, but then adding the human parents and putting them all on the run and homeless immediately is a hard show to write. It worked OK as the basic plot for a movie (Logan) but for an ongoing series? I know they wanted to play up the "family drama" element but thus far that has had very little impact, since there have pretty much been no "family" scenes since the premiere. It's just been fight/run/capture/escape, etc. which is fine for an action show, but incongruous with a "family" show.

The mutants themselves are a mixed bag. On the good side, you've got two of the (arguably) most dangerous and powerful mutants in existence, Polaris and Blink. They are rarely featured that way in the comics (and definitely not in the show), but Polaris is essentially a female version of Magneto and Blink's various teleportational abilities make her incredibly dangerous. Mainly because she not only teleports, but can create little teleport shards that she throws like weapons, so theoretically she could port people's heads off if she so chose. On the bad side, you have the lame chick who I don't even know what she does, something like plant memories in people. Uhhh OK, I guess not everyone can get the good powers. And the dude that can sort of turn invisible-ish, not a horrible power I guess. Then you've got our featured kids, I guess the girl creates "shields" and the boy explodes stuff. Or something like that, it's not very clear yet. Basically they are different forms of telekinetics, I guess. That's one of the frustrating points of the show. The boy just discovers his powers but instead of spending time learning and practicing them, all he does is whine a lot until his sister goads him into using them. Sigh. If I could explode crap you can bet I'd be practicing until I dropped, especially with people hunting me. Then you've got their whiny mom trying to protect them from everything. Let's not forget all the X-Men started as teenagers or younger; sheltering these two does nothing for them.

I guess that's where the core of the problem with this show exists. People like me want X-Men or at least New Mutants. Instead we've got an odd mish-mash of whiny mutants and even whinier parents. I guess it sounds like I don't really like the show but honestly I do. The show excels when the writers let the mutants cut loose. Watching Polaris kick ass similar to Magneto was a real treat. I just fear they are going to squander a great opportunity with stupid decisions (a la Heroes).

• rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Did anyone watch the CRISIS on EARTH X DC crossover event? Four hours of superhero mayhem, it was pretty fantastic and just a lot of fun to see all these characters from the 4 different shows interacting. Whatever you might think of the individual shows or DC, you have to give these guys props for doing something that, as I've mentioned in the past, no one in broadcast television has been able to pull off in any significant way. Sure there have been 2 show crossovers, maybe even an event that involved multiple shows in the past, but this is unprecedented. Just like a true comic book crossover, they allow the telling of the story to guide who and what you see, so much so that it didn't actually matter which base "show" you are watching. By the end of the event, I had forgotten that the last show was actually Legends, as it was completely focused on Arrow and Flash. They had multiple "crossover" storylines that spanned the entire 4 episodes, but still tied in to what was most relevant in the regular shows' current storylines. Things like Alex's breakup and Firestorm's future were all tackled while in the midst of the main Nazi plotline. If anything, the weakest part of the crossover was the event itself lol. Either way, the amount of planning, coordination and timing is pretty mind-boggling to make it all work out. It's essentially like producing a full 3 hour movie with about 10-15 main cast members plus guest stars, but all concurrent with the regular weekly show. I honestly don't feel like these guys get the credit they deserve.

The only "problem" with something like this is just how easy it is for everyone to cross from one universe (or even timeline) to the next, as that kind of takes away from some of the other shows' storylines. Like many of the issues in Arrow could easily be solved by Supergirl or characters in her show, or with a zap of the Legends mind-wiper. I guess you just have to ignore that kind of thinking.

Anyway, for comic book fans who love a good crossover, this was just a wonderful treat. They really capture the spirit of a comic book crossover, which is generally very messy but still fun. I hope the shows can continue to survive, as I believe they are all pretty ratings challenged.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Agents of SHIELD returns tonight in case anyone is still out there watching - I think they were in outer space for some reason.
  • Isgrimnur
    Isgrimnur
    GT Member
    I still need to finish S2 of Agent Carter. Then there's S4 of AoS. Of course, I just started Iron Fist last night, so...
  • EddieA
    EddieA
    GT Member
    Isgrimnur wrote: »
    I still need to finish S2 of Agent Carter. Then there's S4 of AoS. Of course,.

You're in for a treat with both, especially so for Agents of SHIELD.
  • Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    Favourite new show this season has so far been The Orville. It's a pleasant surprise. It's the first show in quite sometime that really makes me look forward to new episodes every week. What everyone thought was going to be a shallow spoof on Star Trek has turned into a loving homage that is surprisingly deep at times. Sure, yeah, there are dick jokes and toilet humor, but there's far less of that than a Seth McFarland show would lead you to believe, and it's fairly balanced in what it brings to the table. I find myself rooting for these characters, wondering what they'll be up to from week to week.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Yeah I've been loving The Orville, in some ways it feels more like a TNG sequel than pretty much any other series has, including Voyager. I actually love it when they retread over an old TNG episode, especially since they always find a way to change things up.

The new season of AoS kicked off with a bang. No idea how they are getting themselves out of this one. It's a pretty big departure for the series so I hope it pays off. Unfortunately they dumped them on a Friday night death slot and seem to have done little to no advertising, so it feels like they are just setting it up for cancellation. Yet the production values thus far have been fantastic in terms of effects. No idea what ABC is thinking.
  • Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    rittchard wrote: »
    Yeah I've been loving The Orville, in some ways it feels more like a TNG sequel than pretty much any other series has, including Voyager. I actually love it when they retread over an old TNG episode, especially since they always find a way to change things up.

Yeah, that's because it actually explores concepts and issues that Trek would have if it had continued. The Social Justice episode, for example, felt like something out of Trek, and it was brilliant. In general, I feel it's more relevant than Discovery.

• Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    Anyone watching the current season of Survivor (rittchard)? I've never been crazy about the three tribe format, but the number of blindsides this season has been really entertaining. I've watched every season of the show and one would think there's nothing left that is new or interesting but somehow they seem to keep things fresh and there is always something happening that hasn't happened in previous seasons. This particular season, it feels like the endgame is a bit of a foregone conclusion since the majority group has pretty ironclad control of the game but there are a couple of contestants who seem inclined to blow things up. The ex-marine Ben appears to be the favorite to win it all at this point.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Anyone watching the current season of Survivor (rittchard)? I've never been crazy about the three tribe format, but the number of blindsides this season has been really entertaining. I've watched every season of the show and one would think there's nothing left that is new or interesting but somehow they seem to keep things fresh and there is always something happening that hasn't happened in previous seasons. This particular season, it feels like the endgame is a bit of a foregone conclusion since the majority group has pretty ironclad control of the game but there are a couple of contestants who seem inclined to blow things up. The ex-marine Ben appears to be the favorite to win it all at this point.

Ha! I was just planning to ask if anyone was watching, cuz last night's ep was ridiculously entertaining. Most of the season has been kind of below average for me (aside for some good looking contestants in skimpy clothes), but it's ramped up considerably now. Idols, advantages, broken alliances, re-formed alliances, backstabs, everything out on the table all at once. Just craziness.

Ben has played a great game all season but last night he kind of blew his game up. Not that he had much choice since pretty much everyone was suddenly gunning for him. If he makes it to the final 3 he wins, but he's been incapable of winning challenges so I don't think he'll make it. I don't know what Lauren was thinking when she gave half her idol away, as she was probably the next strongest contender. Of the remaining members, I can't see Mike or Keanu winning (though either could make a good goat for the finals), which leaves Ryan, Chrissy and the other chick. Chrissy seems like the best remaining player in this group, but the other girl may be the best at challenges. Given that, I'd have to pick her to win it all at this point.

• Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    I could see Chrissy winning, but she is really putting herself in danger by making her hate of Ben personal. If she can let that go, I think she has as good a shot as any of them. Ben really blew it this last episode with his "aw f-ck it" strategy. Now they all are gunning for him but I have a feeling the rest of the gang are going to keep him around figuring no one would vote for him at the finals. I think that would be a mistake because the current members of the jury respect Ben's game up to now. I think if Ben survives this next episode, he's got a really good shot.