Feel the burn: Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire reviewed

GamingTrendNews
GamingTrendNews
edited September 2017 in Newsfeed

imageFeel the burn: Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire reviewed

Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire is finally upon us, bringing a massive influx of new content and story to the land of Kryta. But is the addition of new areas, additional story chapters, mounts and elite specializations enough to make the latest expansion worth it for established players? The short answer

Read the full story here

Comments

• Haji
    Haji
    GT Member
    This review makes it seem like you haven't played PoF at all, and that you have just wandered around bloodstone fen which was actually LS3 which is HoT content. The way you described the new maps as being red and vertical doesn't really describe PoF. The starting map crystal oasis is very typical desert theme with some areas that are green, watery and even branded (which is large purple crystals). The further into each map you get you will see how varied the maps are with a snowy dwarvern stronghold in one of the map and palaces built from bone and tar in another. The maps as a whole are not really about having the large verticality like HoT had but it does have some so if you own the glider from HoT you will be able to have fun playing with it in PoF, it has a lot less depth to it since there is no updrafts or leylines in PoF but PoF is all about using mounts to traverse like a raptor to leap a canyon or a springer to bounce up a cliff. Besides the first map there is no locking maps behind story, you can travel to any of the other maps on foot but owning certain mount and the higher masteries allow for a much easier time to get to these other maps, A great example of this is how the skimmer allows you to traverse over deadly ground that you may have to find another way around if you didn't own it. The vagueness and irrelevant screenshots in this review makes it seem like you haven't played PoF at all, there isn't even a picture of you riding a mount that you get in the 1hr of playing the expansion. I am sorry if I come across as being harsh but this review doesn't really do the expansion justice, it doesn't contain any screenshots from the new maps/mounts or any details on how the mounts feel, are acquired or even used which are some of the biggest selling points and can be appreciated by people that are not as invested in the story.
  • DemethVLK
    DemethVLK
    GT Member edited September 2017
    "Feel the burn" That was bold of you to name your article that way.

What is this article? You didn't play the expansion and dare to write an article about it?

Since the first phrase "Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire is finally upon us, bringing a massive influx of new content and story to the land of Kryta. " Kryta? Excuse me, I think you meant TYRIA didn't you? Have you ever even play the game before?

The screenshots are all from the first map of Living World Season 3 released in early 2016. You describe the maps as vertical. Excuse me? HOT was horizontal, It was a deep jungle, It was what set Maguuma appart from the rest of the game. PoF on the other hand is more wide and dense, less vertical. It's a desert after all. Red? Are you colorblind ? "blood red stones" I assume you meant Bloodstones (you know, the subject of like a year and a half of content?), that was in LWS3 and aren't at all in Path of Fire.
    And by the way, there are 5 MOUNTS to obtain and gain masteries, not 4 as you say in the article, a thing you would have known if you would have at least finish the story.

"Pros : Instant 80 character"
    Seriously? With all you could have say about the game pro's and con's you talk about a pre-order bonus than allows you to ding 80?
    The graphics? Do you review PoF or Core GW2? Because as some assets of the 2012's maps can become a little bit harsh with the time, PoF's artstyle and design is astonishing, breathtaking. It's purely subjective, but you cannot say the games start to show its age with such a beautifyl environment, and I wouldn't describe the game's technical limitations as a "Con" considering how beautiful the expansion is.

By the way, reviewing an MMO's expansion Barely 40 hours after its release, considering the servers were struggling 80% of that time is an insult to the readers, to say the least.

And THIS is the very first review rated on Metacritic.com. I just can't believe what i just read.
  • reynath
    reynath
    GT Member
    It is very clear that you didn't play PoF much if at all, those screenshots are all from the first episode of LW season 3. Also suffering the indignity of grinding to level 80, congrats you have an instant level 80 and don't know how to play it. Leveling naturally gives you a chance to get used to the combat especially if you come from a less action style MMO like WoW or SWToR, it gives you time to experiment with traits, weapons and utilities before you reach 80 and start investing into your endgame build. At best from your review you played the Crystal Oasis demo to experience the first raptor. Look GW2 does a lot things wrong, for example the bounty system is imperfect, with mobs getting random buffs that you have to work around. Some combos make mobs much harder because they are random. Compound this with the poor tutorialization of the game and some bounties can be down right frustrating, especially as you lose players that don't have CC, condition cleansing or stun breaks in their build. The mounts also can feel clunky especially early on, while having to unlock a heart using the mount helps ease you into controlling them, the engine has always had issues with slightly clunky mechanics and physics interactions. But from your review its like you played LW season 3, read some press releases and at most played the demo area, this review is an embarassment.
  • nefariousnel
    nefariousnel
    GT Member
    So did you play PoF at all? You really need to do your research and actually play the expansion you're reviewing before you write your review.

First off, Kryta is a region on the continent Tyria, which is also where Elona (the setting of PoF) is located (farther south in a desert).

"That would be due to all the fire, magic, and blood-red stone making up the surroundings." None of the maps are vertical or red in PoF. It's set in a desert. The only correct part of the quoted statement above is that there is some fire, but it's not the primary feature in PoF maps... Bloodstones aren't even a thing in PoF. The pictures featured in this article are from Living Story Season 3's Bloodstone Fen, which came out in 2016. Since it's 2017, your pics of Maguuma Jungle are a tad out of date and ultimately irrelevant to the task at hand since you're supposed to be reviewing PoF content.

Please actually do your job and research your subject correctly. You really dropped the ball on this and are misleading readers.
  • Leviathon_lx
    Leviathon_lx
    GT Member
    This article is a perfect example of whats wrong with much of the gaming 'media' and its 'journalists'.
  • DemethVLK
    DemethVLK
    GT Member edited September 2017
    You know, changing the screenshots and some sentences won't change the single fact you reviewed Path of Fire without any idea what you were doing, and reviewing Season 3 instead. Your addendum is just an insult to us gamers, you just rushed to write 5 lines about the raptor (which you obtain 20min after the start of the expansion) and how ugly the game is (Wtf are you talking about about the camera? ) Just delete this article for gamer's sake.
  • nefariousnel
    nefariousnel
    GT Member
    Your almost patchwork editing and adding new pics really doesn't fix that you still mostly wrote a review about Living Story Season 3 released in 2016. Then you sprinkled a couple lines about the raptor and how to not look too closely at the visuals (still not sure what you're talking about there) in a rushed addendum. Since you're very fixed on verticality, you could have mentioned the springer or even skimmer, which would have helped you look like you actually got through more than what was featured in the Beta roughly 1 month ago. I'm still not convinced you actually played the game released last week.

Please just take this down. Please do you research before posting next time. This is still dishonest to consumers.
  • zaccone719
    zaccone719
    GT Member
    You didn't even do the most basic of research or playing. You're using pictures of an reviewing entirely the wrong maps.
  • BlueNightfall
    BlueNightfall
    GT Member
    You're lack of insight of Path of Fire leaves me astounded how bad reviews can actually be. There is little to no evidence here that you made it past the first of the five zones introduced. None of the information you gave was either immediately on the website or clear to players 20 minutes into the expansion. You don't mention the Branded areas, the snow areas, the Desolation, the other mounts, I can go on and on. The soundtrack?

PoF is NOT RED. IF ANYTHING IT IS PURPLE. You played the first episode of Living World Season 3, which was post-HoT content but NOT Path of Fire. Bloodstone Fen is NOT one of the new areas. Of course you would know that if you actually played the content for longer than 20 minutes.

Your review is an amazing example of what not to do.