HDTV, UHD, HDR, HDCP, and other letters that are pissing me off.

Purge
edited September 21 in Hardware / Software Hell
My old Samsung 55" 6000 series set from a couple years ago had a bad dark spot in the middle of it.

I had an extended warranty that I've cached in (for $1040CAD), and am now running a 4K (Ultra HD) set.

I had three choices within my price range, all of which are at cost to the store (buddy manages a Visions electronics).

I'm sticking with 55", it's plenty big for the space.

LG's 55SJ8000
Samsung's UN55MU8000
Sony's 55XBR900E

So in response to @Knightshade_Dragon's comments on HDR, I've discovered my Onkyo receiver HT-RC560 does not support HDCP 2.2, only 2.0 (so no HDR10 passthrough) so if my Xbox One S (and soon to be X) goes to the receiver, no HDR for me (4K only).

If I go to the set directly and use SPDIF to the reciever, it goes out at 2.1 ><

I didn't have time to test all configurations. I will respond to this thread later today.

The Sammy (which is in my livingroom right now) looks great and I like the remote, but the screen customization options are thin.

Ugh.

And I do not want to upgrade my receiver at this point. It works just fine. Fuckitty fuck fuck.

Here's the original response :
Purge wrote: »
So my old Samsung is gone, and I have a new one.

I have the UN55MU8000 now, and there are a few things to note:

One - HDR isn't as simple as it would seem. I have an Onkyo HT-RC560 (there is an EU model TX-??636 model which is the same) that only supports HDCP 2.0, not 2.2 so the passthrough will not do HDR. The Xbox One S does seem to work, but the optical out from the TV goes down to DD2.1 ><.

I'm going to play with ARC (HDMI Audio Return Channel) to see if that works later today.

If I have to upgrade my receiver to support HDR, I'm going to be pissed. I may go down to the LG55 8000 series TV instead (which saves me ~300) but apparently the blacks are more grey in darker settings (Samsung's contrast ratio is 4x that of the LG).

Ugh. Why can't I just have the best of the best allatime? Fuck compromise. And no. I don't want OLED. That just seems like inviting problems with burn-in etc. I'd rather not be a cutting edge adopter. I've paid enough into that idea. (looks over at the box of old video cards, topped with a 3DFX card and two Monster II 8MB SLI's)

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • MonkeyFinger
    GT Member
    I ended up having to do much the same thing as I did not want to pop for a new receiver... it did 4K up-scaling but not 4K pass-through. Had to run my PS4 Pro and Xbox One S straight into the 4K TV to get HDR to work and then a single optical audio back to the receiver. Works just fine after getting my Harmony all updated to support the source switching needed. :)
  • pr0ner
    GT Member
    I bought a new receiver, a Yamaha RX-V481 since I don't have the space in my condo to go Atmos, to go along with my HDR TV last year. I had to actually turn on the feature that enabled HDR passthrough, but it's a lot easier to run HDMI cables from my equipment to my receiver, one cable out from the receiver to the One Connect box, and then one cable from the box to the TV. Much simpler setup once I figured that all out!
  • Purge
    GT Member edited September 21
    Was going to attach image, but now the forum didn't seem to do that. I'll work on that later (perhaps)
  • uxFOOL
    GT Manager edited September 21
    Was going to attach image, but now the forum doesn't do that. I'll work on that later (perhaps)

Uh, yeah it does. Just drag and drop your image into the editor

Mike Dunn
    Executive Producer & Editor-at-Large
    GAMING TREND

• Purge
    GT Member edited September 21
    uxFOOL wrote: »
    Was going to attach image, but now the forum doesn't do that. I'll work on that later (perhaps)

Uh, yeah it does. Just drag and drop your image into the editor
    Thanks! The img icon prompts for URL only, and so I got confused and scared and hid under my desk for a while. ;)

This is the old TV (and shows the dark spot)
    Don't mind the mess, this was a busy week and so shit was everywhere. Far more organized now ;)

xcofr2xqdtog.jpg
  • Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    Is that dark spot visible if you are looking at the screen straight on? Only from an angle?
  • Purge
    GT Member
    Is that dark spot visible if you are looking at the screen straight on? Only from an angle?

It was super obvious, head on when the room was dark. It's gone now so it doesn't matter.
  • Purge
    GT Member
    So here's the fix:

Using high speed HDMI cables (which I was) connect the Xbox to the tv. Then run optical to the receiver from the tv.

Next set the xb1 HDMI output to bitstream and bitstream format to either dts or DD.

Then set the TV audio to optical out, and under expert set the HDMI in to bitstream and the matching format.

The single optical out goes to the receiver and is recieved as a digital bitstream.

I could also go straight from the console to the receiver, but since my receiver only has one optical it means I can use the tv hub to manage multiple inputs.

Note that this means the dts/DD processing happens at the console device, the tv is just pass through of the preprocessor content and the receiver is only doing amplification (for the most part).

Can't wait for the X. The set is gorgeous.
  • Purge
    GT Member edited October 6
    I'm thinking I'm just going to use the Optical out from the XB to the receiver, as all of my normal media goes through the xbox.

When I get fed up with ARC on all other sources, I'll probably get a new receiver. :/

The problem is that I notice a slight delay in audio to video output. Might just be the stream at the time - I'm going to use RockBand4 to determine the best synch setup.

This is the receiver I have :

Onkyo TX-NR636 (manual)
  • JCC
    GT Member edited October 12
    I have a lot of strong opinions on this topic, since my wife and I bought two TVs on Labor Day weekend. We bought a "low end" Samsung 50" MU6300 for our bedroom and a "medium end" Sony 65" X850E for our movie and video game" room. Both are 4K TVs.

First off, it's harder and harder to get a 1080p TV once you get to 50". It's nearly impossible to buy a 1080p TV at a size bigger than 50". If you want 50" or bigger it is highly likely you will have to get a 4K TV.

Today, for me, the value of 4K is very low. I have absolutely zero 4K content, and have no plans to get any soon. I suppose the most likely source for 4K I would presumably get (in the nearest future) is if I decide to upgrade to 4K Netflix, but with Netflix raising the rate on "normal" Netflix - it makes it less likely than it already was. I've already upgraded many DVDs to 1080p Blurays and I think the value of going from 1080p to 4K is minimal.

I am mildly disappointed with the picture quality of both TVs. Now, for the record, I am a HUGE fan of (now extinct) plasma TVs. I would argue the cheapest plasmas are orders of magnitude better in picture quality than the best LEDs (or at least the best LEDs I have ever seen including mine). (This is due to my preference to accurate saturated colors and my resistance to "bright" TVs. Also, the wide viewing angles of plasma are vastly superior to any LED I have ever looked at. Note that OLEDs are supposed to rival if not equal or surpass plasma in PQ, but I haven't done major research on this due to their prohibitively high prices.) These two new TVs can't come close in PQ to all three of my plasmas. I haven't spent much time trying to configure the Samsung (since it's just a bedroom TV), but I have spent copious amounts of time on the Sony, and I just can't make it look as nice as my plasmas. Even sitting directy in front of the Sony, viewing "angles" are an issue. Of course, I am arguably sitting too close to it, but the whole idea was to get the biggest "movie" screen possible in a relatively small room. I plan to swap the Sony with my 60" (plasma) "football" TV since I think its flaws will bother me less in that setting.

One other thing about 4K - 480p content looks AWFUL on both of my 4K TVs. I am not sure if this is due to the nature of them being 4K TVs, or being LED TVs (or both).

Since you are going from a CRT TV to an LED, I am sure you will be thrilled with the new TV.

A couple of comments on Samsung vs Sony. If you plan to take advantage of their "smart TV" features (ie. their built in streaming capabilities) Sony is a MUCH better choice than Samsung. Samsung has proprietary "Tizen" smart TV software which is limited in the selection of apps. You can get staples like Netflix and Amazon, but you cannot get some others (like one I use Playstation Vue). Sony on the other hand has Android TV which pretty much has everything but Apple stuff. If you care about Apple stuff, then you will probably use an Apple TV streaming box anyway. Of course if you don't use smart TV apps or plan on using a separate streaming box (Roku, Apple TV, Fire TV, Android TV, etc.) then this is all irrelevant.

Also of note, if you plan on spending the considerable premium for OLED, Samsung has basically abandoned that tech in favor of their "QLED" TVs. They are similarly priced, and deliver similar picture quality. OLED is still preferred by the PQ enthusiasts for their more perfect blacks, but for most people it won't matter. Again, I doubt you will go down this route give your previous posts, but just a bit more info.

Finally, if you want the best bang for your buck, you should probably get a TCL P Series TV (only in 55" size) which has great (LED) PQ for the price and has roku TV built in, which is nice.

Anyway, this is just one man's opinion and advice. I used to do way more research on TVs back when I was making the move from SD to HD, so I am hardly trying to pass on my opinions or advice as being "expert". Good luck and enjoy whatever TV you get.
  • Purge
    GT Member
    @JCC you replied to my older thread - I think you meant to reply to this one (as I'm not switching off CRT): :smiley:

http://gamingtrend.com/forum/discussion/58383/advice-recommended-tv-brands
  • JCC
    GT Member
    LOL. Every day I am convinced I am getting more stupider! :)

Thanks for the notification.
  • Purge
    GT Member edited October 17
    :grin: