Saw Mother! in the theater

Knightshade_Dragon
Knightshade_Dragon
I want my time back. It seems like the Director said "Never be more than 6" from JLaw's face" and the premise was just a complete and total mess. I get the allegories and parallels they were trying to paint, but it belabored it to the point where I was enjoying my popcorn remnants more than the film. Has anyone else see this thing?

Also... having spent an uncomfortable amount of time with Javier Bardem and his close-ups, I'm pretty sure I've seen him before:
latest?cb=20110117133053

Ron Burke
Editor in Chief
GAMING TREND

Xbox Gamertag: Gaming Trend
PS4 Tag: GamingTrend

Tagged:

Comments

• Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    This?

Care to spoil it for me? I disliked Black Swan enough to not want to see another Aronofsky flick.
  • MonkeyFinger
    MonkeyFinger
    GT Member
    Yes, that. Haven't seen it but I've seen reviews all over the place... something about how the trailer led them to expect a different movie than what they were actually served up?
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member edited September 2017
    The F Cinemascore reminded me of the 'false marketing' of It Comes at Night earlier this year, which was marketed as The Walking Dead but was apparently more of a "People themselves are monsters" bummer, and I think it got about a D Cinemascore. Pundits said it was more that filmgoers felt they were mislead by the marketing or trailers, rather than them just stating the movie was "bad" per se.

I haven't seen either. I'm more than willing to see downbeat movies, but I just don't know if I have time for movies that are just going to make me feel lousy at the end to no point. Or that are so metaphorical I can't understand what the director's trying to say.

The only Aronofsky film I found entertaining - or that I even understood at all -- was "The Wrestler." I think that's still his most accessible work. I guess my compliment to him is his movies are unique and nobody makes movies like his. But for the most part I find his movies either baffling or something i don't want to sit through.
  • Knightshade_Dragon
    Knightshade_Dragon
    GT Manager
    That's pretty much the problem - it's so heavy handed with metaphor that by the end you just want it to end. YES. I GET IT. MOVE ON. This felt like a blunt instrument over the head by the last quarter of the movie. I'm sure there are people out there that will describe it as "brave" or whatever, or that I just don't get it. Oh...I get it. It's just a terrible movie.

For those who wanted spoilers...
    He's a writer! She's the inspiration. Watch as people tear apart his ideas, take them as their own, deify him, etc. as symbolized with the house, later his baby, and eventually her. By the end, his idea is a warzone, and she's destroyed in the process, only to rise again as a new idea. The fragile and destructive creative process belabored and beaten for two painful hours. This movie should have been called "Head up own ass".

Ron Burke
    Editor in Chief
    GAMING TREND

Xbox Gamertag: Gaming Trend
    PS4 Tag: GamingTrend

• Blackjack
    Blackjack
    Some pundits speculated Mother! would've benefitted from a slower, gradual release starting in art-house type theaters that are more forgiving to "outside the box" movies.

I'm not sure that would've worked. It didn't really work for the "Casey Affleck as Casper" movie A Ghost Story, which never really found a wide audience:

• Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    I haven't seen Mother, but I can say that Darren Aronofsky movies are an acquired taste.
  • Hrothgar
    Hrothgar
    GT Member
    That's pretty much the problem - it's so heavy handed with metaphor that by the end you just want it to end. YES. I GET IT. MOVE ON. This felt like a blunt instrument over the head by the last quarter of the movie. I'm sure there are people out there that will describe it as "brave" or whatever, or that I just don't get it. Oh...I get it. It's just a terrible movie.

For those who wanted spoilers...
    He's a writer! She's the inspiration. Watch as people tear apart his ideas, take them as their own, deify him, etc. as symbolized with the house, later his baby, and eventually her. By the end, his idea is a warzone, and she's destroyed in the process, only to rise again as a new idea. The fragile and destructive creative process belabored and beaten for two painful hours. This movie should have been called "Head up own ass".

Apparently, that's not what he was going for according to the New Republic:
    Aronofsky claims that the film is a biblical allegory, and there are hints of this throughout. The most obvious clues are coded into the intruders who invade the “paradise” of the home. The doctor is an orthopedic surgeon with a ribcage wound. His wife breaks a crystal on the Poet’s shelf, which she has been forbidden to touch. They exude sex and undisclosed knowledge. Whether or not the wife sprang directly from the doctor’s own rib in a surgical setting is unclear, but it is obvious that she brings inappropriate knowledge into the house and is an Eve figure of temptation. When their sons arrive, they fight each other. The blood from their violence spreads and contaminates the Mother’s perfect floorboards.

The Poet is a God figure. He continually offers “hospitality” to the evil forces invading his home, at the expense of the safety and sanity of his wife. In an interview, Jennifer Lawrence has described how the movie “depicts the rape and torment of Mother Earth,” suggesting that the tension is between the divine spark animating humanity and the needs of the world that was created for them. By the end, the home is wrecked, Mother is destroyed, and fire comes to claim all they had built together.

According to Aronofsky and Lawrence’s statements, the Mother symbolizes paradise, and the Poet symbolizes a kind of God character who ironically facilitates the destruction of it (through climate change and other forces) by creating Man. But whatever type of lesson Aronofsky was trying to tell in exploring these deep and mythic themes, he adds a very serious layer of confusion by using a psychodrama about a marriage wracked by gender inequality as the literal level of the story.
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    I guess the question is, if the marketing was more honest and told people to expect THAT
    [allegory, and not a 'literal' horror-thriller]
    and not some prototypical horror-thriller akin to Rosemary's Baby, or perhaps The Omen, would the box office be any better?

I mean, it's basically a box office disaster already period. I'm not certain more transparent marketing woudl've helped, though it may have helped ensure the movie found a more appreciative audience open to what it's trying to accomplish? Me, I'm a bit of a moviegoing rube, and I'll take a pass on it just like I did with It Comes at Night and A Ghost Story -- I might be more willing to try those and Mother! at rental prices once they hit digital or streaming.