[Switch] Xenoblade Chronicles 2

farley2k
farley2k
edited August 2017 in Video Games
Here’s a bunch of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Switch footage
*Actual gameplay starts around 4 minutes in.
**Looks a lot like Xenoblade 1 so I am happy.

Comments

• farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    This auto played after the one above and I hadn't seen it with the E3 footage so I thought I would post it because it explains a lot!

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Demonstration - Nintendo E3 2017

• Dante Rising
    Dante Rising
    GT Member
    Wish they would port the first game. Wii graphics are awful, and I'm too lazy to try Dolphin.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    Wish they would port the first game. Wii graphics are awful, and I'm too lazy to try Dolphin.

The 3DS port was pretty good.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Gamescom 2017 Gameplay

• farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Might Be Switch's Next Great RPG - PAX 2017

• Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    One of the reasons I finally got a Switch was for this game. I can't wait.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    farley2k wrote: »
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Might Be Switch's Next Great RPG - PAX 2017

"Next great RPG"? What was the first?
  • Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    I'm guessing the Zelda game, although it's a pretty loose interpretation of what an RPG is.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Direct 11.7.2017

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Character Trailer - Nintendo Switch

• Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Direct 11.7.2017

If it's anything like the previous Xenoblade, that video provides 10X more explanation of the game's systems than any information in the actual game will do.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2 w/ Nintendo Treehouse (50 Minutes of Gameplay!)

• farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator

• farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Hi, my name is Farley and I have issues....I just preordered this even though I didn't finish Xenoblade Chronicles 1 or Xenoblade X.....what is wrong with me?

At least I bought a physical copy so I can sell it when I realize in a month that I will never play it.

Or maybe this time it will really sink its teeth into me and I will love it! Yeah that is what will happen this time! I will put 50 hours or more into it and it will be one of my favorite games of all time!

.....darn I think I am back to step 1 - "Hi, my name is Farley and I have issues...."
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Hi, my name is Farley and I have issues....I just preordered this even though I didn't finish Xenoblade Chronicles 1 or Xenoblade X.....what is wrong with me?

At least I bought a physical copy so I can sell it when I realize in a month that I will never play it.

Or maybe this time it will really sink its teeth into me and I will love it! Yeah that is what will happen this time! I will put 50 hours or more into it and it will be one of my favorite games of all time!

.....darn I think I am back to step 1 - "Hi, my name is Farley and I have issues...."

Hi my name is Rittchard and I am a Farley clone with issues. I just preordered this even though I didn't finish Xenoblade Chronicles I and I didn't even open the package I bought of Xenoblade X - what is wrong with ME?

I also bought a physical copy from Amazon to get the 20% discount. I am hoping to make progress and have it motivate me to open my unopened Switch.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    Goddammit . You guys are NOT making my buy a Switch just to play this game.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    No you buy it to play Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Super Mario: Odyssey, and this game
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    No, you buy the Switch so you don't feel left out at GT.

But mostly for this game :-P
  • Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    Gratch wrote: »
    Goddammit . You guys are NOT making my buy a Switch just to play this game.

Resistance is futile! Not a high volume of games for the Switch but the ones worth playing are high quality:

Zelda
    Mario Odyssey
    Golf Story
    Mario Kart
    Mario vs Rabbids
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (duh!)
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    You guys are forgetting I'm not a fan of either Zelda or Mario games.

[deflector shields at maximum]
  • Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    Heretic!!!
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Gratch wrote: »
    You guys are forgetting I'm not a fan of either Zelda or Mario games.

[deflector shields at maximum]

lol I'm not really either, I don't dislike them I'm just kind of ambivalent. But that's not the point, all the cool kids will be playing Xenoblade!!!

I'm hoping next year will bring a Fire Emblem game and/or a Pokemon game, that would be great.
  • Zaxxon
    Zaxxon
    GT Member
    Cross-posted from OO as interest is low over there...

Tonight is release night. The reviews are pouring in today, with an 85 on Metacritic as I type this.

Highlights:
    -It's huge. Reports of 70-90 hours to complete the main story-line are rampant.
    -Fantastic musical score
    -Engrossing, awe-inspiring world and vistas
    -Scalable to long docked sessions or quick-ish handheld play

Lowlights:
    -Not-so-streamlined interface
    -JRPG cliché overload, such as lingerie model main characters

Can't wait.

Polygon: "Therein lies the paradox of this game. It feels like both a relic out of time and a welcome glimpse of handheld gaming’s future. For all its sloppiness, Xenoblade 2’s combination of classic RPG concepts and flexible on-the-go play make for one of the most engrossing takes on the genre I’ve encountered since Dragon Quest 9, which possessed a similar appeal. While I still have quite a bit more of the game to battle through before I can definitively say whether it manages to hold my interest through the final chapter, the first half has at least been a success. "
    The Verge: "The perfect thing to play after Zelda."
    RPGamer: " The overall depth of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and how well it all ties together is astounding. Though higher expectations mean it is less of a stunning revelation than the first game, Monolith Soft has risen up tall to meet those expectations and delivered spectacularly in every area. 2017 has been one of the greatest years in RPG history; Xenoblade Chronicles 2 caps that off in mesmerising fashion by being one of the finest titles of the year."
    WCCFtech: "Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is an essential JRPG for fans of the genre. If you own a Switch and have enjoyed JRPGs in the past, then you should get it, absolutely. In a year which had games like Tales of Berseria and Persona 5, it just might be the best JRPG of 2017, and that’s saying something."
    God is a Geek: "Monolith Soft has not just released a great JRPG but surpassed almost all expectations I had for this release. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a massive game that has a few shortcomings but it’s a perfect end to 2017 on the Nintendo Switch."
    GameRevolution: "I thought that Christmas came early this year for the Switch with the release of Super Mario Odyssey, but I was wrong. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is an outstanding title to finish out the Switch's first year on the market, and it's a must-have title if you're a fan of RPGs and own the system. It can be difficult at times, but it's fair and forgiving, and it's a game that wants you to make it to the end and enjoy the experience as you journey there."
    Nintendo Life: "It's Monolith Soft doing what it does best, albeit without shaking off the occasional flaws of the series. It's ultimately an important part of an incredible launch year for the Switch - a reminder that while system concepts change some things are constant. This is another Xenoblade gem, and a must-have for the most dedicated of adventurers."
    Gaming Trend (oh, hai!): "While it’s definitely got its flaws, and it doesn’t quite reach the same exceptional standards as its predecessor, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is definitely worth playing. With robust, customizable combat, fun characters and an interesting story, and huge environments to explore, it’s one of the best games on the Switch and an excellent RPG."
    IGN: "...a standout RPG that manages to keep its story, combat, and exploration interesting over the course of at least 70 hours of adventure through an impressively varied and rich world. Getting from place to place can be confusing, but outside of that and a multi-hour progression roadblock near the end this is an excellent game full of tough, memorable battles and a positive message."
    Destructoid: "The nuts and bolts are old-school, but it's not archaic. If you die you restart at a local checkpoint with all your progress intact, you might just need to get back to a boss fight (which then starts instantly without a cutscene, thank goodness), or a specific area. You can also save anywhere and fast travel at almost any time, or skip most of the game's movies if you're getting tired of watching the myriad short films you'll be watching over the course of roughly 80 hours (I didn't, but you can)."
    Gamespot: "Xenoblade 2 exhibits admirable depth. Adventurous types that enjoy complex combat systems can easily spend more than 100 hours uncovering Alrest's secrets and developing their team of Blades, provided they can come to terms with a handful of unavoidable shortcomings. It's equal parts pleasing and frustrating, but the struggle to keep up with everything thrown your way is more of a hurdle than a roadblock. It will be a tough pill to swallow for people who aren't accustomed to the typical cliches found in many Japanese RPGs, and its often clumsy nature keeps it from being the next groundbreaking Switch game, but Xenoblade 2 is worth pursuing if you've got enough patience to let it blossom."

I wound up buying the download edition but might want the collector's if I enjoy this as much as I think I might... Whups!
  • EddieA
    EddieA
    GT Member
    rittchard wrote: »

Hi my name is Rittchard and I am a Farley clone with issues. I just preordered this even though I didn't finish Xenoblade Chronicles I and I didn't even open the package I bought of Xenoblade X - what is wrong with ME?

I also bought a physical copy from Amazon to get the 20% discount. I am hoping to make progress and have it motivate me to open my unopened Switch.

That's nothing. I own Xenogears, Xenosaga Episodes 1, 2, and 3, Xenoblade Chronicles, and Xenoblade Chronicles X and haven't finished any of them, and I still can't wait to get XC 2 tomorrow.
  • Zaxxon
    Zaxxon
    GT Member
    I launched it the minute it hit last night (literally)... Here are some thoughts.

Well, I'm 4+ hours in and quite enjoying myself so far. I shut down after 2 am despite 5:30 wake-up call approaching... It's definitely a story-heavy trip so far-I'd estimate I've spent an hour plus in cutscenes to this point.

A bit slow to start, but not un-enjoyably so. There's just a lot of tutorial info to communicate.

English voiceover has been largely good so far, with a few cringe-worthy moments that I think are more my difficulty with JRPG style than VO issues per se. Downloaded the Japanese VO pack to compare (just shy of 900 MB). I think I'll stick to English, as I find myself distracted from the visuals when I'm forced to read subtitles constantly.

The 1.1 patch added an Events Theater feature that lets you go back and watch any prior cutscene, with whichever VO track you want. Pretty slick.

• coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    Zaxxon wrote: »
    Lowlights:
    -JRPG cliché overload, such as lingerie model main characters

See now you have my attention :D
  • Zaxxon
    Zaxxon
    GT Member
    Interesting anecdote: I was seriously unaware that the term 'fan service' basically amounts to 'very high amounts of teenage-dudebro-targeted *armor* and *character design* on female JRPG characters.'

Somewhat embarassing for the adults in the room. But the term is *all over* discussions of this game in pre-release, based on the trailers.
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    I was not aware of the term's actual meaning either. I thought it was more like in-jokes for the hardcore fans.

The More You Know...
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Swni197.jpg
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Surely those reviews are enough to seduce Gratch into joining the Xenoblade party???? :p

I think my stupid Amazon copy isn't getting here til tomorrow, but I'm excited. Now I just have to find where I left my unopened Switch lol.