[movies] General Movie Chat

Comments

• Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    Yeah, I realized that much, but the movie poster shows a Superman logo, and also a Cyborg logo. But where's Superman?
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member edited November 2017
    Rumpy wrote: »
    Yeah, I realized that much, but the movie poster shows a Superman logo, and also a Cyborg logo. But where's Superman?

I'm going to quote myself here: "Whether Superman is in this Justice League movie or not is one of the weakest spoilers in movie history, IMO. It's to the point of wondering why they're even bothering."

They don't know what they're doing at DC. They have his logo, but not the character. The trailers only show the back of a person before Alfred says, "He said you'd come." But the same entertainment shows that ran the trailer also reported that Cavill had a mustache for reshoots that they had to digitally remove.

"He was dead at the end of BvS. Except a hand came out of the ground. Will he appear in JL...WHO KNOWS, WINK WINK?!?!" - DC Marketing team.

• Rumpy
    Rumpy
    Haha, thanks. I figured maybe something like that was going on, but it's hilarious to hear that was the case. So, in other words, I'm not the only one feeling confused by this.

Edit: And from what I can gather, Supergirl seems to be conflating two characters: Cyborg and Cyborg Superman? At least that's the gist that I'm getting via Supergirl. Because the real Hank Henshaw got transformed into Cyborg, but he keeps saying he's Cyborg Superman. Hmm, like I said, I'm not up-and-up on these things, so I may actually be complicating things.
  • uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager
    Haha, thanks. I figured maybe something like that was going on, but it's hilarious to hear that was the case. So, in other words, I'm not the only one feeling confused by this.

Edit: And from what I can gather, Supergirl seems to be conflating two characters: Cyborg and Cyborg Superman? At least that's the gist that I'm getting via Supergirl. Because the real Hank Henshaw got transformed into Cyborg, but he keeps saying he's Cyborg Superman. Hmm, like I said, I'm not up-and-up on these things, so I may actually be complicating things.

Hank Henshaw in the comics is Cyborg Superman.

Victor Stone in the comics is Cyborg.

Two totally different characters. I can't speak for the Supergirl show, but considering how much they are pushing Cyborg everywhere else, It would be odd that they would merge the two for the show.

Mike Dunn
    Executive Producer & Editor-at-Large
    GAMING TREND

• Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    Supergirl diverged from the movies at the start of last season anyway when they cast a totally different actor as Superman.

I would say you're right about not wanting to muddy the waters with another Cyborg, but this is DC we're talking about.
  • Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    uxFOOL wrote: »

Two totally different characters. I can't speak for the Supergirl show, but considering how much they are pushing Cyborg everywhere else, It would be odd that they would merge the two for the show.

Thanks. That does clear it up. It's easy to see why one who's not invested into the history of all this would be confused though. The Justice League poster further confuses the issue by making Cyborg look more like what Cyborg Superman appears like in Supergirl.
  • uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager

Thanks. That does clear it up. It's easy to see why one who's not invested into the history of all this would be confused though. The Justice League poster further confuses the issue by making Cyborg look more like what Cyborg Superman appears like in Supergirl.

In the comics, Hank Henshaw is caucasian, not African American.

Mike Dunn
    Executive Producer & Editor-at-Large
    GAMING TREND

• Rumpy
    Rumpy
    In the comics, Hank Henshaw is caucasian, not African American.

Yes, I figured as much. But what I'm referring to is the look they gave Cyborg in the Justice League poster, which resembles Supergirl's version of Cyborg Superman. They're nearly identical looking.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Minor divergence - why are ALL the Martians in the TV series African American lol?

Back to Justice League, which I guess we are discussing here? I actually enjoyed it quite a bit, luckily my expectations were low. Now when I say enjoyed, I should be clear. Sadly I fell asleep for about 20 minutes or so lol near the beginning, but my partner assured me I missed some pretty decent backstory (is it true I even missed some Green Lantern stuff?!?). Honestly I really didn't care for the main plot/villain at all, just seemed like a lot of aliens/robots to give an excuse for the heroes to bash. Which of course we've already seen in The Avengers.

One review I read mentioned it was almost like two different movies, one a Zack Snyder effects-laden dark film, and the other a Joss Whedon one. I remember (forget the details now) multiple scenes where I could "feel" a Joss moment. Most of them worked, but a few might have been too derivative of his Avengers work. I kind of feel bad for him that it seemed like he was forced to essentially re-create the kind of humor/conflict energy he had in Avengers knowing people would probably criticize him for it.

Gal Gadot was fun to watch again, I love watching her fight. I wasn't sold on Aquaman and I felt like Flash's "gee whiz" shtick was only about half-effective. I mean seriously do you really want to bring a completely untrained hero on his first real mission to something that's supposedly so dire? I think they could have achieved much of the same without making him a total novice, they could save that crap for his solo movie. Obviously someone wanted to re-create the Spider-Man energy in the Civil War movie.

It's really a shame these guys can't seem to get their shit together and on the same page. Stop trying to copy/mimic Marvel and just do your own thing. The times they do that (Wonder Woman movie, Suicide Squad) they get good results. Portions of the Superman/Batman/Justice League are really decent and fun to watch, but there's just too much that smells of desperation and trying to play catch up, where they honestly don't need to. They've got tons of great stories and characters to draw upon, just relax and find your own identity. Look at the TV shows, while they vary in quality, they've all seemed to find their own niche, and they are so much fun when they join together, while the Marvel shows continue to stink it up.
    I'll keep this spoilered since even though as Bullwinkle mentioned everyone knew Superman would be in the movie, just how much he would be a part of it was not clear. I mean, his name in the credits was second so you knew he had to do something fairly significant. My fear was that they would bring him back only at the very very end. Luckily the one thing they did right was rez him fairly early in the movie, or at least it felt that way since I slept through so much lol. Henry Cavill is so freaking hot I could barely contain myself when he finally shows up and spends five minutes with his shirt off. Well worth the price of admission. His scenes were still a bit too few for my taste, but once he shows up kicking ass, it just made me happy. Also enjoyed his brief scenes with his mom and Amy Adams.

P.S. Where the heck was Green Lantern in all this?!?!?! Too busy getting his Deadpool costume on I guess.
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    See, I feel like they need to do more following of what Marvel has pulled off so successfully and stop trying to do their own thing.
  • Purge
    Purge
    Problem is, DC is LTTP.

The take on an immature Flash feels like a borrowed Days of Future Past Quicksilver. If dark and broody is what Cyborg is going for, he works out to be a beefy metal Scarlet Witch / Black Panther mix.(because, hey, how do we solve this? Cyborg can do it!)

Ben Affleck in this movie was less asshole-ish, and didn't make me hate it, but I don't like the whole thing because let's face it, this is Batfleck : Recruitment Edition. At least he was shown to be out of his league in combat, and maybe they can develop that weakness into a proper plot point in the next movie (hopefully without Ben).
    Superman was a welcome addition, but the whole him not wanting to see Batman? It was Batman with the chip on his shoulder, and those issues were kinda resolved before supes died.
    Also, the whole "we need you to do this thing" and him going "oh, sure. Wait, gotta save some folks even though stopping boss is saving EVERYONE" is kinda dumb.

As to Lex Luthor, I hope he's more genius and less lunatic in the next movie(s). I don't particularly care
    for this version of him.

Steppenwolf isn't likely dead, he's an underboss for Darkside. He's going to need a new helmet though - this one has been taken to be stored in Asgard ;)

The movie is a disjointed patchwork mess with inserted funny moments (like the TV bit in the lunch room). It survives a viewing, but I have zero reason to watch it again - and I'm really hoping that this is the last of the movies that carried this tone.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Bullwinkle wrote: »
    See, I feel like they need to do more following of what Marvel has pulled off so successfully and stop trying to do their own thing.

It depends on which part you are talking about. In terms of general strategy, I'd agree. But trying too hard to mimic/copy specific details without following the strategy is a mistake. It's the rush to create a super team-up movie that more or less crippled both BvS AND Justice League.

Instead of rushing JL, they should/could have done solid individual movies with at least one or two more of the characters (e.g. Aquaman and Flash) prior to doing JL. Imagine how much more impact a JL movie would have if it were coming off of strong individual movies. Plus you get the added benefit that both BvS and JL would be less burdened with extraneous origin work. Avengers only worked as well as it did because we were already familiar with the majority of the main characters.
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    I was talking overall strategy, mostly, but I think they should even study how each Marvel character that has its own movie and how each of those movies has its own tone and style while still staying true to both the character and the overall MCU.

For example, DC shouldn't be trying to turn Superman into Batman.

Also, for all the crazy colors and spectacle of Thor: Ragnorok, it all made coherent sense and fit the storytelling. It wasn't just dazzling special effects meant to only dazzle.
  • Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    Speaking of X-Men, I find some of the movies have aged terribly. I loved First Class when I saw it in the theatres, but I watched it again last year and it didn't work quite as well for me anymore, and that's only after a few years. I feel that in general, comic book or superhero movies age faster than most because they tend to rely so much on dazzle.
  • Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    I was talking overall strategy, mostly, but I think they should even study how each Marvel character that has its own movie and how each of those movies has its own tone and style while still staying true to both the character and the overall MCU.

Also, for all the crazy colors and spectacle of Thor: Ragnorok, it all made coherent sense and fit the storytelling. It wasn't just dazzling special effects meant to only dazzle.

Except from the Commodore. ;)
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    Purge wrote: »

Except from the Commodore. ;)

I had to look that up to remember, but LOL!

• Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member edited December 2017

My brother was just back from Europe yesterday,, so we grabbed an early dinner and caught "The Shape of Water," which is gradually expanding into more locations/theaters, but afik is still not in any sort of wide release.

We liked it, and it's very moving at times, with really spectacular imagery from Guillermo Del Toro and company.

We did find one somewhat graphic sex scene seemed out of left field, and we were briefly wondering if we'd walked into the wrong movie or something. :o =)

Also, for a movie with a such a touching "Hellen Keller Falls in Love with the Creature from the Black Lagoon" theme at its core, it gets quite graphically violent and heavy on the gore/blood at times. I can understand the gradual release because I think you need to get good word of mouth on this out there. I mean I'm not sure everyone who'd want to see it for the moving romance at its core, will necesssarily want to sign up for the violence/gore.

And for the love of God will someone give Michael Shannon a three-dimensional, rounded character instead of a raving one-note maniac to play? imho, his character in this at times almost makes Zod in Man of Steel seem restrained. :# The older I get as a moviegoer, the less interested I am in one-note raving maniac bad guys. It takes a legendary performance (say, Heath Ledger in TDK) to make that kind of character interesting imho.
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member edited January 11
    Finally caught Darkest Hour:

While Gary Oldman's a revelation, to me it's less about the seamless prosthetics than about the voice and the body language he uses. I only recognized him as Gary Oldman because he has such piercing blue eyes. B) A cynic would say "oh yeah, I'm wearing rubber face and 'fat suit,' give me my Oscar!,' but I would say he deserves it for drilling down into a historical character and giving him humanity and flaws and down to earth life. And to me it doesn't matter what in the movie was probably a "dramatic device" or if it has some characters that are 'compilations' (which seems common to historical docu-dramas). It just felt real and I lost myself in it.

If it sounds like too much of a dry history lesson movie, ignore that false concern and go see it. I loved it, and like Noland's Dunkirk, it feels suspenseful to the last minute, even if you know your WWII history. :)

While a double feature with Nolan's Dunkirk makes sense -- Darkest Hour is more of a up in the clouds view literally/figuratively on Dunkirk, while Nolan's Dunkirk movie more you are there on the beaches and in the boats at ground level -- I'd think it's also a good watch with Spielberg's Lincoln. Which is to say bringing an iconic country leader down off his sort of pedestal to a human level where you more understand his flaws and regrets and self-doubt, and then see how that person came together in crisis with others to keep his country together.

And it's surprisingly funny at times too. :)

The movie is only focused on Churchill in 1940 up to the time of Dunkirk. It's perhaps sad that he was ultimately voted out of office after the war -- perhaps the public thought he was the perfect wartime leader but not the ideal post-War prime minister.
  • Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    I've wanted to see that, so thanks for the review! :) At the time I first heard about it, I felt like I didn't really want to see it as I'd already seen so much Churchill stuff as of late (He's really a hot property right now it seems!). There was a TV Drama from awhile back, plus his depiction in The Crown, one movie that was at our local movie festival and now this one. I think you've convinced me :)
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Caught the finale to Maze Runner this weekend. While the running time was perhaps a tad too long, all in all I thought it was fantastic. Some of the best action/stunt scenes I've seen in quite a while, with a cool Mad Max-ish kind of feel to it. I haven't felt a genuine sense of surprise from an action sequence in a long time, but this one actually surprised me a couple times.

Unfortunately due to the lead actor's injury, the movie got delayed for quite some time so it may have been hard to remember what was going on and who was who, so the movie does suffer a bit from the delay - mostly in terms of character moments. I kind of wish I had rewatched part 2 again before watching this one, but instead I watched it after. I'll definitely watch the movie again when it comes out on demand. If you are at all interested and haven't seen part 2, I'd definitely recommend watching it first. Speaking of which, Part 2 was surprisingly better than I remembered in my head. Definitely a big change in tone from the first book/movie.

All in all, this was my favorite concluding chapter of all the various dystopian young adult series.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    That's good to hear, Rittchard. I have only see the first of the Maze Runner movies and kind of ignored everything after because there were so many of those YA book/movies coming out that they all kind of blended together into stupidness.

Seems worth a rent to catch an action movie that doesn't put me to sleep these days.
  • Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member edited January 30
    EngineNo9 wrote: »
    I have only see the first of the Maze Runner movies and kind of ignored everything after because there were so many of those YA book/movies coming out that they all kind of blended together into stupidness.

Haha, I know what you mean. I even gave up on the Divergent series. While it showed promise, it was pretty meh by the second book and I never continued with it. Ironically, I've ended up reading Dashner's Mortality Doctrine series due to a friend and been finding that kind of interesting in a 'leave your brain at the door' kind of way. But yeah, they do seem to all run together.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    I know what you mean, I kept making jokes about what Katniss would do while watching Maze Runner, but in my mind I was picturing Shailene Woodley, who plays the lead in Divergent lol. It was only later I realized "Katniss" was from Hunger Games. Actually they might as well do a massive crossover event with all of them!
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    So.... did anyone else take the plunge last night for Cloverfield Paradox? If you missed it during the Superbowl, Netflix announced an "unprecedented" surprise by making a "franchise" movie available for streaming right after the game! So after weeping for an hour of This is Us, I dove in for some Cloverfield action. Or did I? I feel like even my impressions would be spoilers, so I'm going to spoiler my entire commentary...
    Because as a fan of the series, this was a huge disappointment.
    I suppose my expectations were perhaps much higher than they should have been. Basically they've taken the same approach as they did with 14 Cloverfield Lane, in that they took a script from a completely different movie and jammed it into the Cloverfield universe. This one does far less with the franchise than 14 Cloverfield did. Aside from a couple of references and the name of the ship, you may sit and wonder for the entire time how they are going to fold this in.
    And when you see the last second fold in, you will either laugh or spit your coke out and say WTF you've got be fucking kidding me. What a complete waste of the franchise with a horribly cheesy tie in.

What I thought/wished they would have done was made this a prequel set in future. Even up til the end I thought I might have called it, that somehow when they got back to their earth it would be in the past and that they inadvertently brought back the aliens or opened a wormhole or something like that. How cool would that be? A "prequel" that starts in the future! But alas they went with a cheap thrill version that kind of ruined the movie for me.

The movie itself was not horrible, I actually enjoyed many elements of it and most of the cast was decent, particularly Chris O' Dowd. I'm also a huge Zhang Ziyi fan so it was a hoot to see her in an American sci-fi movie. All in all, it was somewhat similar to the recent movie Life, and various other sci-fi flicks where people on a station die off one by one. Unfortunately it was ultimately a missed opportunity and I think the backlash on this one is going to be bad.

• Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member edited February 6
    I tend to find a lot of Netflix original content to be very hit and miss, often more miss. I think The Crown is their best success to date, and there have been very few of their movies that I would consider good. They either tend to overly dark and grim or violent and gratuitous. I find they don't have enough lighthearted fare in their original catalogue. In terms of their original movies, my favourite is Okja.

The recent Mudbound which is also Oscar nominated is rather bleak and depressing. Bright, well... I didn't finish it. Wasn't grabbing me.
  • Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    Just watched Captain America: Civil War. Short Version: Should have been awesome, but wasn't.

Long version: This is a movie that seemed really confused with itself. First two movies were pretty good, but there was just way too much going on in this one. First half was not so bad, but then it starts feeling like Avengers 3.5. The action scenes were terrible. There was too much happening on screen at once, and a lot of it felt jerky and jittery, a step down from previous movies. At one point, I started to wonder if I was watching the same movie as it definitely didn't feel like a Captain America movie. More Avengers, less Captain America is what it felt like. It was like he was sidelined in his own movie, with Stark taking over. On top of that, the story was just not very good.
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member
    I liked Civil War but imho really it should've just been another Avengers movie. I gave it credit for willingness to go so dark in violence and themes. Just too many characters, which I fear is going to make it hard for characters in the Avengers Infinity Wars movies to make any mark at all -- when you just sort of boil down super heroes to guest cameos.

I think they flushed away a potentially memorable villain in Frank Grillo's Crossbones as a friendly-fire "plot point," and such a waste of an excellent actor who could've been a memorable arch nemesis for Cap. Part of me wishes the Russos would do a solo Black Widow movie -- I think they have the best handle on her character.

Winter Soldier will be my favorite Cap film. I suspect for contractual reasons, Chris Evans' Cap will be killed off during the last two Avengers films.

I managed to get a ticket for Black Panther late tonight (10:20 p.m.) but don't know if work sked will cooperate. Thank God for Fandango and Regal ticket refund policies. The weekend projections are trending higher and higher ($180M at last count). And I always called February the box office dumping ground before. :)
  • Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    I think my favourite was the first one. It's a bit like Wonder Woman in a sense that you get a lot of great backstory. Yeah, they tried to do way too much, and I felt the movie was lesser for it. When it starts shoving the main character aside in his own movie, that's a problem.

Two good things came out of it though. First is the scene between Peter Parker and Tony Stark. Their first meeting was pretty well done, although I found him terribly annoying. Second is Black Panther who actually had a pretty good story arc and introduction.
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member edited February 24
    I'm catching the first day of AMC's [Oscar Nominee] Best Picture Showcase today, starting at 10:30 a.m. Let's hope I don't get back spasms and foot cramps from sitting so long. There's an intermission between each show. A seat towards the front opened up Tuesday when I checked my Fandango app. :) I haven't attended one of these since my mom and I went to one in 2007, though that's partly cause the AMC closer to me stopped participating until this year. I did sit through all 4 Indiana Jones film (yes even #4) in 2012 for AMC's Indiana Jones marathon.
    1. Phantom Thread
    2. Lady Bird
    3. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
    4. The Shape of Water (only one I've seen)

I'm skipping next Saturday's Showcase, which is likely the more entertaining day, but I've seen all except Call Me By Your Name, which I meant to see at an arthouse type place near my office but didn't get around to in time.
    1. Dunkirk
    2. Darkest Hour
    3. Call Me By Your Name
    4. The Post
    5. Get Out
    https://www.amctheatres.com/movies/2-24-best-picture-showcase-two-day-2018-55838
  • Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    @rittchard I watched the Maze Runner : Death Cure and thought ...
    that it falls apart in the last 15 minutes. The "typical" bad guy killing the doctor, drugging Thomas is where it got dumb.

He was smarter than that - having the doctors meant he'd have a serum that he could produce / sell / etc.

I actually sided with Teresa in idealism - and seeing her die in that was a waste.

Further, letting the Flare Virus kill off all but the survivors in "New Haven" wasn't something Thomas seemed to be interested in.

I dunno. It committed to itself - I just didn't like the very end of it.

One interesting side note - when Thomas saves Teresa from being shot, he yells "Brenda, get down" or whatever her name is. Wrong name, regardless. ;)

If you haven't seen it, my impression is to wait until it's on a streaming service. I don't think that's too far off in the future, and I do agree that watching 2 (recently) would make a big difference.