[movies] General Movie Chat

135

Comments

  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member edited October 2017
    My brother and I enjoyed parts of Kingsman -- it was co-written by Vaughn's female biz partner; and sometimes I wonder if she writes the less crass parts -- but yeah, I think part of Matthew Vaughn is a crass 14 year old (apologies to 14 year olds :D) cracking sneering sex jokes. I think he needs a creative partner willing to reign him in on that sort of stuff.

    I also think asking Samuel L. Jackson to lisp like Daffy Duck for the duration of a movie is a waste of his talent. :s
    ===============

    I saw the Pacific Rim 2 trailer before Blade Runner 2049 last night. I agree with some movie news sites that it basically looks like another Transformers sequel. I think also that injecting that many more giant robots into the franchise is the wrong way to go.

    I wasn't a huge Pacific Rim fan, but I think what worked was the idea of only having one or two giant robots available and them battling one or two really memorable giant monsters. This sequel seems to be hurling massive squads of robots against massive numbers of monsters, which imho loses any sort of dramatic heft you might get out of smaller numbers clanging against each other in memorable fashion. More is not always better.

    I will say it's interesting to finally hear John Boyega speaking in his natural British accent in a movie, rather than only in interviews. :)
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Purge wrote: »
    rittchard wrote: »
    Purge wrote: »
    Don't think I've ever walked out of a theatre before.

    Deep Blue Sea would probably be the closest. Oh, and A House of 1000 Corpses.

    WTF!?!? Deep Blue Sea is awesome!! It has the sexiest Thomas Jane shot of all time (basically porn) and one of my favorite movie lines of all time, "As a side effect, the sharks got smarter."

    Anyway, the only movie I think I ever walked out on was some weird Clive Barker movie. That's saying a lot because I can tolerate a lot of crap lol.

    Other random comments, I loved "It" even though as mentioned it wasn't really that scary. What's more amusing is trying to watch the old one, the acting (and soundtrack) is horrendous.

    Just saw Kingsman Golden Circle, which was a lot of fun and had great action sequences. My only issue with it was it may have been too much on the "fun" side, it was almost bordering on Austin Powers territory.

    BTW thanks for this thread, general movie chat is fun!

    No, the best line was "Let me get this straight... you took God's oldest killing machine and gave it will and intent?!"

    Then Sam Jackson said "write me outta this shit" and a 4000lb shark jumped out of the pool area, jack-knifed in the air, ate him from above and then somehow landed and got back into the water.

    The editing was horrible. The sharks resized to swim down narrow hallways, the underwear scene even made me go WTF and ugh... The sharks were too deep, and banging cartilage against titanium reinforced walls ? it was just bad. Bad bad bad. BAD. ;)

    Clearly they succeeded on some level since you remember so many details from it lol!!!

    - - -

    Excited for Blade Runner this weekend, though I'm bummed they dumped Rachel Ward. I didn't read much about it, did they say why she wasn't involved in the sequel?
  • Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member edited October 2017
    No idea, but don't you mean Sean Young? IMDB does list her in the credits so she has some role in it.
  • uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager
    Blackjack wrote: »
    I saw the Pacific Rim 2 trailer before Blade Runner 2049 last night. I agree with some movie news sites that it basically looks like another Transformers sequel. I think also that injecting that many more giant robots into the franchise is the wrong way to go.

    I wasn't a huge Pacific Rim fan, but I think what worked was the idea of only having one or two giant robots available and them battling one or two really memorable giant monsters. This sequel seems to be hurling massive squads of robots against massive numbers of monsters, which imho loses any sort of dramatic heft you might get out of smaller numbers clanging against each other in memorable fashion. More is not always better.

    I will say it's interesting to finally hear John Boyega speaking in his natural British accent in a movie, rather than only in interviews. :)

    The main set piece of the first film was multiple Jaegers vs. multiple monsters <scratches head>

    Mike Dunn
    Executive Producer & Editor-at-Large
    GAMING TREND

  • Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    Loved the first Pacific Rim and the sequel looks stupidly spectacular. In a good way.
  • Purge
    Purge
    GT Member edited October 2017
    rittchard wrote: »
    Purge wrote: »
    Don't think I've ever walked out of a theatre before.

    No, the best line was "Let me get this straight... you took God's oldest killing machine and gave it will and intent?!"

    Then Sam Jackson said "write me outta this shit" and a 4000lb shark jumped out of the pool area, jack-knifed in the air, ate him from above and then somehow landed and got back into the water.

    The editing was horrible. The sharks resized to swim down narrow hallways, the underwear scene even made me go WTF and ugh... The sharks were too deep, and banging cartilage against titanium reinforced walls ? it was just bad. Bad bad bad. BAD. ;)

    Clearly they succeeded on some level since you remember so many details from it lol!!!

    - - -

    Excited for Blade Runner this weekend, though I'm bummed they dumped Rachel Ward. I didn't read much about it, did they say why she wasn't involved in the sequel?

    Scars are reminders too. They failed at "suspension of disbelief". It started with a shark dragging a helicopter into a building, and went downhill (tanked?) from there. ;)

    SWIMMING BACKWARDS isn't because sharks are too DUMB! Yeesh.

    I may have issues - I'll bring this up in therapy.

  • Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    No idea, but don't you mean Sean Young? IMDB does list her in the credits so she has some role in it.

    Sean Young is crazy hot.

    Well, both of those things. Mutually exclusive AND together.
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member
    Sean Young *was* crazy AND hot 35 years ago. But that was a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away. :3

    Speaking of which, so "Solo" (a Star Wars story blah blah) is the Han Solo solo movie title.

    I'm very disappointed "Scruffy-Looking Nerf Herder" and "Kessel Runner" weren't considered. :s
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member edited November 2017
    I had a great time with Thor: Ragnarok last night. I guess I feared it would be "too much' like Guardians of the Galaxy. But I felt like T:R has its own wonky, sometimes Monty Python-like sense of humor and deadpans and poking fun at stuff from prior Marvel films, while still being reverent to a point about Asgard and Midgard and what not.

    Its a thousand times more entertaining than the first two Thor films imho. I don't know if they succeeded in turning Thor into a 3-dimensional character, but I felt like it finally transitioned him into a charming, funny, sometimes lunkheaded but still warm-hearted character. For a change the movie Thor seemed closer to Hemsworth's real personality instead of "Thor the wooden dialogue over serious guy" :)

    Some of the deadpan reminds me of Thor's best line in Avengers, "He was adopted." That was a good one but he gets lots of great one-liners in this that suit the character.

    While Cate Blanchette's fine I keep wanting to see a villain with an interesting or tragic backstory. Certainly Cap 3's ostensible "villain" was in that category. Hela is just revenge revenge.

    I'm sure some critics will carp that the movie's trying to be both funny and reverent to Thor at the same time, and it's too disjointed or silly. Or that it's trying too hard to be funny. I just know my audience had a great time, and some scenes had people in stitches, and for me the humor fit the characters. It's a good time. Don't try to overanalyze the nonsense in it, is my advice. B)
  • Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    I loved the film. There was character development, change and yet staying true to the best performances of each of the main characters (and introducing new players at the same time).

    Cate did an amazing job, and it supported well Karl Urbans' struggle.
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member edited November 2017
    Why aren't you guys talking about this in the Thor: Ragnarok thread? Purge, you started it!

    I don't love these general purpose threads, I have to say...
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member edited November 2017
    Initial Justice League "social media impressions" (no spoilers afik) are decidedly OK-to-"meh," with Wonder Woman, Aqua Man and The Flash coming across best; the villains not so much.
    http://collider.com/justice-league-reviews/#interview

    I find the Henry Cavill digital-moustache-removal quandary hilarious. :3 One guy complained that the digital 'face shaving' effect calls too much attention because, I guess, it makes Cavill's face look too digital altogether.
  • Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    Blackjack wrote: »
    My brother and I enjoyed parts of Kingsman -- it was co-written by Vaughn's female biz partner; and sometimes I wonder if she writes the less crass parts -- but yeah, I think part of Matthew Vaughn is a crass 14 year old (apologies to 14 year olds :D) cracking sneering sex jokes. I think he needs a creative partner willing to reign him in on that sort of stuff.


    Ok, so you'll find this surprising, but I actually saw Golden Circle with some friends this week. Funny, I know, considering I absolutely hated the original. I was outvoted, and I actually ended up enjoying the sequel quite a bit. I have to say, they toned done much of the crassness and it was better for it. Thought it had a better story too.

    And man, if there's ever a Smoky & The Bandit reboot, that part should go to Pedro Pascal. In this movie, he looks a lot like a young Burt Reynolds. The resemblance is quite uncanny.
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member edited November 2017
    That's cool. I'm sure I'll catch up on it on streaming services at some point.

    The more I read about Justice League, the worse it sounds. I'm thinking if WB really believed in Snyder, it should've pushed the movie back 6-months or a year if necessary to give him and his family their grieving space over his daughter's death, and let him finish the movie; or if they didn't believe in him at all anymore, they should've asked Joss Whedon to write a new script and direct a Justice League movie from the ground up. Instead it sounds like a hashed jumble with forgettable CGI bad guys, forced down to a 2-hour run time despite introducing multiple new characters who haven't had solo films yet.

    I was eager to see JL, now I'm just not sure I want to bother.
  • uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager
    Blackjack wrote: »
    The more I read about Justice League, the worse it sounds. I'm thinking if WB really believed in Snyder, it should've pushed the movie back 6-months or a year if necessary to give him and his family their grieving space over his daughter's death, and let him finish the movie; or if they didn't believe in him at all anymore, they should've asked Joss Whedon to write a new script and direct a Justice League movie from the ground up. Instead it sounds like a hashed jumble with forgettable CGI bad guys, forced down to a 2-hour run time despite introducing multiple new characters who haven't had solo films yet.

    I was eager to see JL, now I'm just not sure I want to bother.

    The problem was that it was already an over budget mess by that point. It's gone through so many rewrites and reshoots there was very little chance it was going to be any good.

    Mike Dunn
    Executive Producer & Editor-at-Large
    GAMING TREND

  • Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    uxFOOL wrote: »
    The problem was that it was already an over budget mess by that point. It's gone through so many rewrites and reshoots there was very little chance it was going to be any good.

    And that's such a shame seeing as Wonder Woman was so good. I feel like it was the most successful and mainstream superhero movie since the original Superman movies. My Mom had wanted to see it and she's not normally into those movies. I'm guessing they had to reshoot it to include more of WW after the success of that movie?

    Regardless, it sounds like it suffers the symptoms of trying to stuff too much in a movie, and it's something I often see happening to these comic book movies more and more. I think the first Avengers managed to balance things out pretty well, which is amazing considering how much there is going on at all times. I guess it must be pretty difficult balancing out those superhero egos ;)
  • uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager
    Rumpy wrote: »
    uxFOOL wrote: »
    I'm guessing they had to reshoot it to include more of WW after the success of that movie?
    Not so much. I think it was already plagued with issues before Wonder Woman even hit production. They've been working on this movie a LONG time.

    Mike Dunn
    Executive Producer & Editor-at-Large
    GAMING TREND

  • Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    Dang. Well, I feel bad for those who were waiting a long time for this. It really sucks when something you've been looking forward to ends up being not so great.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Why not go see it yourself before drawing any conclusions? I definitely have my doubts for a number of reasons but I'm gonna give it a fair shot. Personally I felt like from the previews they try too hard to make The Flash funny/goofy and Aquaman into Wolverine-lite, but that's just an initial impression.

    FWIW the LA Times gave it a really good review and they usually don't like the majority of superhero/sci-fi movies. They claimed that Joss Whedon added a noticeable human/fun touch to the characters that balanced out the normal Zack Snyder darkness.

    So who knows?
  • uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager
    rittchard wrote: »
    Why not go see it yourself before drawing any conclusions? I definitely have my doubts for a number of reasons but I'm gonna give it a fair shot. Personally I felt like from the previews they try too hard to make The Flash funny/goofy and Aquaman into Wolverine-lite, but that's just an initial impression.

    FWIW the LA Times gave it a really good review and they usually don't like the majority of superhero/sci-fi movies. They claimed that Joss Whedon added a noticeable human/fun touch to the characters that balanced out the normal Zack Snyder darkness.

    So who knows?

    Well, based on EVERYTHING I've seen, it's looked like a train wreck for a very long time. I saw Batman V Superman and immediately wished I had waited until it came out on video, and pretty much decided I'd give everything else from the DCU films a wait-and-see approach (even Wonder Woman at first, but that totally looked awesome and I'm glad I saw it in the theater).

    I just have other theatrical releases I'd rather give my money to

    Mike Dunn
    Executive Producer & Editor-at-Large
    GAMING TREND

  • Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    And that's another thing about MCU type releases. I think it encourages mediocrity. I'm glad to see WW was so successful, and it was successful despite that fact and managed to stand out pretty well on its own. But I feel a lot of these movies are put out and they know people will see them because they're connected to others and maybe they feel less compelled to actually create something decent, because money will roll in anyway. If these movies made more effort to stand alone, maybe it would be less of an issue. But being connected to everything, it's like the movies have a crutch syndrome, always dependent on what's come before them.
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    Rumpy wrote: »
    And that's another thing about MCU type releases. I think it encourages mediocrity. I'm glad to see WW was so successful, and it was successful despite that fact and managed to stand out pretty well on its own. But I feel a lot of these movies are put out and they know people will see them because they're connected to others and maybe they feel less compelled to actually create something decent, because money will roll in anyway. If these movies made more effort to stand alone, maybe it would be less of an issue. But being connected to everything, it's like the movies have a crutch syndrome, always dependent on what's come before them.

    While there's certainly a risk of that (and I think DC has fallen very prey to it), I would say the MCU has gone out of their way to keep that from happening. I can't think of the last MCU movie I saw that disappointed me. I certainly do feel like I need to get to the theater so I can be on top of things, but I think they're very aware of the fact that if the quality starts tanking, they'll risk losing their audience immediately. I also like the fact that while all of their movies feel like they're part of the same universe, they can also have their own style and rhythm.

    The MCU hearkens back to the time of the movie serials in a way that is beyond even what Star Wars and Indiana Jones did. In fact, it's interesting that the Star Wars franchise has been following in Marvel's footsteps!
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    It's weird because I personally have/had a lot of ambivalence toward this movie, but now I'm almost starting to feel bad for it. Seems like so many people I hear from have already made up their mind, or maybe even subconsciously want it to be bad. I was at the comic book store last week and the comic book store guy seemed really down on it, and even told me he'd heard DC might scrap their entire plans for continuing this current movie universe.

    I've always been a Marvel fanboy, so I think I'm actually not happy with myself for having this kind of attitude. Somewhere in the back of my mind I can feel the urge to want this movie to not do well, and I don't like that about myself. I think the whole concept started out feeling rushed and forced, like they just had to do something asap to compete with the Marvel movies and for some reason that irritated me. And then the removal of Superman I found annoying. And then the casting of Flash (after I'd really become so used to the TV version). And then Khal Drogo as Aquaman felt like stunt casting. And no Green Lantern or Green Arrow or Hawkman (I may be mixing Justice League with Super Friends, so sue me!). And on and on. Aside from Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman, there's really nothing I'm thrilled about. The main hope I now have is that Joss Whedon's influence somehow fixes things.
  • Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    Yeah, DC definitely has stumbled in that direction as of late. I'd personally much rather have another Standalone Wonder Woman than see any of their other ones.

    As someone who doesn't really follow these too closely though, or comic books and comic book movies in general, I have to say most of these, unless they're something really well known like WW, Superman or Batman, and Ironman, I have no idea who most of these characters are, and the only current superhero show I watch is Supergirl.
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member edited November 2017
    I caught Justice League tonight, 7:30 p.m. show.

    I enjoyed some of it, some of it was 'meh.' I didn't 'hate' it, just I did feel like it's a terrific cast in search of a better script and at least one memorable villain -- must like how Tim Hiddleston as Loki in Avengers made the CGI "space worm" army generally OK. And you can see in certain scenes and interactions some sort of upbeat "way forward" for the DC movies. Although if one loves Man of Steel and BvS and Suicide Squad and wants Snyder's vision to continue, those things may disappoint you instead.

    otoh Steppenwolf -- and somehow the soundtrack has no Steppenwolf song in sight =) -- is not memorable, has no motivation beyond "I'm crazy mutie CGI baddie with giant horns and you all must die!"

    The, let's just call it "mcguffin" seem an unbelievably lazy ripoff of Marvel's Tesseract and Infinity Stones.

    It's fun to see Connie Nielsen and the Amazon supporting cast again but it's almost more of a glorified cameo.

    But I like the cast. They seem to like each other and have good chemistry.

    Gadot is still great and has lots of awesome battle scenes, just she really has no story to tell in this. Affleck's fine but he has no role other than "get the team together to save the world." The trailer scene of Flash asking "What's your super power?" and Bruce Wayne saying, "I'm Rich" was the biggest laugh line in the theater. I gotta believe that was a Whedon contribution, right? :) Ezra seems able to get the 'tightest' cast members to loosen up. So i'd say he's a great addition to the mix if you wanted more humor and humanity.

    Jason Momoa's appealing I thought but clearly it's up to James Wan's movie next year to give him any sort of story to tell. Ezra Miller has lots of funny lines, and the movie seems to be benefit from his being a goofball. The Cyborg guy has an interesting Robocop-ish back story but it sort of goes by the wayside, I don't know if any solo movie for him is planned. I think having Joe Morton (Terminator 2) is a neat casting coup.

    Amber Heard I liked in her, what, maybe 2 minutes as "Aqua Queen." She has her own abilities. I hope the Aqua Man movie makes good use of her and don't just use her as 'window dressing.'

    What else? Oh THAT. People wanna keep pretending it's a spoiler so I'll play along. :)

    The mid-credits scene is brief but very fun. The end credits scene is, let's just say interesting.
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    rittchard wrote: »
    It's weird because I personally have/had a lot of ambivalence toward this movie, but now I'm almost starting to feel bad for it. Seems like so many people I hear from have already made up their mind, or maybe even subconsciously want it to be bad. I was at the comic book store last week and the comic book store guy seemed really down on it, and even told me he'd heard DC might scrap their entire plans for continuing this current movie universe.

    I've always been a Marvel fanboy, so I think I'm actually not happy with myself for having this kind of attitude. Somewhere in the back of my mind I can feel the urge to want this movie to not do well, and I don't like that about myself. I think the whole concept started out feeling rushed and forced, like they just had to do something asap to compete with the Marvel movies and for some reason that irritated me. And then the removal of Superman I found annoying. And then the casting of Flash (after I'd really become so used to the TV version). And then Khal Drogo as Aquaman felt like stunt casting. And no Green Lantern or Green Arrow or Hawkman (I may be mixing Justice League with Super Friends, so sue me!). And on and on. Aside from Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman, there's really nothing I'm thrilled about. The main hope I now have is that Joss Whedon's influence somehow fixes things.

    Interestingly, I was always a DC fanboy, as a teen. In fact, I've gotten heavily back into comics recently, as I dipped my toe into the digital comics scene and fell all the way in with a splash. I've been reading digital comics hard since the summer. A big part of that is Marvel Unlimited which charges you $60/year but lets you basically read everything they've ever published (that's an exaggeration, but not by much). So I've been reading a lot of stuff I missed in high school when I was spending all of my time in the DC universe. In addition to that, I've been rereading some of the DC stuff from that same time.

    What's interesting is that my opinion of the two comic houses from that time hasn't really changed. DC was being bold and trying new and unique things. They were experimenting with both the medium and their own characters. They were using visual storytelling that's inherent to comics to show what was happening, while Marvel was still filling their panels with word balloons that were telling you what was happening in very stilted, unrealistic dialogue.

    Over the years, Marvel caught on, and in a lot of cases blew past DC. And DC lost sight of what made their stuff good and interesting. They got gimmicky and let that stuff drive the storytelling, whereas Marvel started experimenting, fine tuning and streamlining. And they got back to really understanding their characters instead of seeing them as props to make money.

    And that's where we are with these movies.

    As a DC fanboy, I do secretly want these movies to fail because they're disrespectful to the characters. And the suits are being greedy and willfully ignoring the value of what they have on their hands, and for that they deserve to fail.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Gonna go see it Saturday evening...

    As a side note, if you are even vaguely into comics, there was a great show on last Sunday after Walking Dead (AMC) called The Secret History of Comics or something like that. I'm only about midway through it but a lot of interesting stuff I had no clue about. And I've been reading comics for over 40 years! I think ep 2 is the origin of Wonder Woman, which should also be pretty interesting.
  • Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    So, something I'm wondering and admittedly has me a bit confused. I've been watching Supergirl season 2, and in that we have Cyborg Superman. Is this the same Cyborg in this movie? If so, the Justice League poster is confusing, as it shows logos for each of the heros, but he's not in the movie, is he? Ok, I realize that might be a bit of a spoiler for some ;)
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    Whether Superman is in this Justice League movie or not is one of the weakest spoilers in movie history, IMO. It's to the point of wondering why they're even bothering.

    As to Cyborg: He's his own character. He's never been an interesting character to me (apart from on Teen Titans Go!), and he was a second stringer for a long time. It seems he got elevated a few years back to, um, diversify the team. I have no problem with that, per se. I just wish he was a more interesting character.

    The big loss to me is that Martian Manhunter was historically on every iteration of the team, but got bumped in New 52 in favor of Cyborg (as I understand it - I haven't been reading). Now he's been retconned to not be a founding member, and in my mind, that sucks.
  • uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager
    Rumpy wrote: »
    So, something I'm wondering and admittedly has me a bit confused. I've been watching Supergirl season 2, and in that we have Cyborg Superman. Is this the same Cyborg in this movie? If so, the Justice League poster is confusing, as it shows logos for each of the heros, but he's not in the movie, is he? Ok, I realize that might be a bit of a spoiler for some ;)

    Cyborg Superman is a totally separate character. He first appeared in the Reign of the Supermen storyline right after Superman dies in the comics:

    Superman79.png


    Mike Dunn
    Executive Producer & Editor-at-Large
    GAMING TREND

Sign In or Register to comment.